DId my psu just die?

Soldato
Now the fun part begins.

Take the motherboard out of the case and test it. This is to check for an electric short caused by a dead insect or similar. Remember to check the underside! It will also allow you to check for blown components - capacitors especially.

Strip the motherboard down to just the CPU - no RAM, no GPU, no nothing else. Set it on a box - not an anti-static bag - and attach the PSU, your monitor, and make sure the piezo buzzer / speaker is plugged in. Then try powering on. If you get bleeps, that's good. (Google the beep codes.) If it doesn't then your CPU or motherboard is dead. Next add ONE stick of RAM and power on again. If that fails then try another stick of RAM. And so on. Keep adding or replacing stuff intil you get a failure. If all ther sticks of RAM fail, try plugging one in to another DIMM socket.

Associate
OP
Lovely...lol.
Just ordered a new psu that was recommended a few posts back but i think it will not be the fix but at least I know I will have good psu to start with.
Cheers

Associate
OP
Ok, So waiting for my new Psu to arrive, I am wondering should I have maybe have ordered a new motherboard as well...trying to second guess if motherboard might be the problem...what's the odds?.
Was thinking if I had new motherboard on hand and put cpu on it and try to start it with new psu..if it doesn't start..the cpu is dead ?....not sure if that's how it works?
And if it's the case that it's not the motherboard...I have a spare MB.
My motherboard atm is a MSI H81M-P33, bought that one because I thought I was going to use a smaller case...but didn't,so I am not tied to that size of MB
By keeping original cpu and ram...if all is ok, is it worthwhile upgrading to a better spec MB?.
CJ
CPU ....G3220 3GHz socket 1150...
Just realised I've had this set up 7 years...where does the time go, so maybe time for cpu upgrade as well.
As I don't do gaming or watch movies on computer, computer is mostly use for browsing and light photography work, so what's your thoughts on a beneficial upgrade?
CJ

Moved this question to " upgrade "forum..cheers

Last edited:
Soldato
Back
Top Bottom