Did your parents buy you a car....?

Soldato
Hi all,

My parents bought my first car for me - It was a £800 Astra. At the time, I was at Uni and I didn't have a job.

Do you think it's ok for parents to buy cars for their children? or do you think, children should earn it for themselves..? So that they respect / value it more?

My parents bought me two cars, and I am eternally greatful to them for it.

They bought me a P-Reg corsa 1.2 8v just to get to grips with driving, then bought me a brand new citroen saxo VTR as a reliable (ha!) and warrantied car with which to commute to uni.

I could have bought myself a car, but then I'd have needed to get a student loan to pay for uni, which both myself and my parents didn't want me to get.

no, after I put my dads car through a double decker bus my parents told me they WERE going to buy me one until I'd bent theirs.

I think its fine for parents to buy their children their first car, but I don't think they should pay towards the running costs.

Whether or not the person apprieciates it more has got nothing to do with whether or not they bought it in my opinion. If you generally take stuff for granted then i dont think it matters where it comes from, you still won't apprieciate it.

My parents gave me my mums old car (mk3 golf 1.4) as she upgraded to an mx-5, i have looked after it to the best of my ability for the last 2 years or so now and i dont think it would have made any difference if i had bought it myself.

Parents-No

Grandparents-Yes, they brought me my first (and current) car, Corsa 1.2, its doing me proud so far, just waiting for the first years no claims to start to look for something a little different :)

I paid for my first car with my own money though it was money that was from a savings account that had been opened and paid into by my parents so in a roundabout way they did pay for it ;)

I have no issue with parents buying their child a car so long as it is appropriate to their experience. Rich parents buying their 17 year old princess a powerful sports car or a huge Range Rover on their birthday is OTT and dangerous IMO.

Nope parents not buying me a car. on the look out now, but my dad is paying half of my pass plus, the kind old fellow :D anything is a bonus.

Dont have problems with parents buying their kids cars, they are quite important especially if you live out in the middle of nowhere. But as del lardo says something reasonable, but it is satisfying knowing you have saved up enough to buy something you want.

No :) And I think it helps teach kids the value of money if they have to save up for it themselves.

Some kids born with a silver spoon even get expensive new cars bought for them. Then again I seem to remember reading that someone on this forum had their parents buy a flat for them...

had to buy my own cars, not bothered really as i am working. Sister is just ending her teacher training and really needs a car to go to the different schools but they won't hlp her. Which is annoying, thinking of buying her a daewoo matiz as £1000 gets a w/x plate with lowinsh miles, may be crap but its cheap and realiable

Yes, one year old saxo as my first car, paid for petrol / tax / servicing / i paid for insurance paid for me to go through uni so i had no debt.

They lent me the money for my second car interest free.

They lent me the money for my third car interest free.

No but they would have done if they had the money and if I'd needed them to. To be honest you can pick up a perfectly good car for < £500, most 17 year olds can raise that I'm sure.

Sone said:
had to buy my own cars, not bothered really as i am working. Sister is just ending her teacher training and really needs a car to go to the different schools but they won't hlp her. Which is annoying, thinking of buying her a daewoo matiz as £1000 gets a w/x plate with lowinsh miles, may be crap but its cheap and realiable

That is very kind of you.

I all ways believe in helping people - But only if they really need the help.

No, I had to hand over £350 for my first car which I bought off my old dear, a nice Austin Allegro, in Orange.

Turned out she ripped me off.

My folks bought my brothers old 205 off him (gave him some cash towards his next car) and gave that to me. 9 months later it was written off by an old biddy hitting the side of me. I bought the next car - a Fiesta Flight 1.4.

dirtydog said:
No :) And I think it helps teach kids the value of money if they have to save up for it themselves.

Some kids born with a silver spoon even get expensive new cars bought for them. Then again I seem to remember reading that someone on this forum had their parents buy a flat for them...

DD said:
Is spoiling kids okay?

I think 'spoiling' has a lot to do with immaterial things as well, making the children think that they need to be extremely important to the social environment. Usually kids I've seen like that are so selfish.

I've been given financial assistance by parents before, but never asked. And not with cars.

I don't think there is any such thing as 'teaching the value of money' because money has a different value to everyone.

My folks bought my sister a car (a 1.1 Renault5) for her 18th birthday, even though she couldn't drive! She never did pass her test and still doesn't drive to this day, she's now 30!

My parents did not buy me a car when I turned 18 even though I passed my test 9 months before. I'd been driving Sis' 5 to and from college, and anywhere else I liked, so it wasn't so bad I guess.

But then, my dad stopped me from buying a Triumph Spitfire that I yearned after saying "it would be like pouring money into a hole in the ground", they sold the 5 out from under me with about a weeks notice and in the hurry to get a new car I picked up a 1303S Beetle from a friend of a friend's dad. I went to view the Bug with my Dad (who'd owned a couple back in the day), it cost me my entire savings thus far on it, tax and insurance, and it turned out to have a shot front framehead and a rusty hole where the drivers footwell should be. I drove it for about 9 months before my mechanic advised that it was a deathtrap. I have never been able to afford a car of my own since then.

Pouring money into a hole in the ground you say Dad?

Back
Top Bottom