Difference between DS3 and S3?

Soldato
Was curiously looking at the 2 gigabyte boards and wondered what the difference was. At first looks i can't see any difference between the specs on the gigabyte site.

wizardmaxx said:
You get the 945 S3 and the 965p S3

Yeah i'm meaning the the 2 965 chipset boards.

silversurfer said:
One has solid capicators, supposedly helps overclocking and longevity

They look identical on the images, you got a source for this info?....

I'm just curious...... because i can't see any difference.

wizardmaxx said:
Personnaly id go for the DS3 over the S3 simply cos of the sucess its had in these forums.

Yes i would to, i just wondered what the difference was and if its really proven to be that much better or not.

Overclocking results pretty much prove how good a board is at the end of the day. I went for the DS4 to be able to raid in future and for the 6phase power supply for stability

t31os said:
Yeah i'm meaning the the 2 965 chipset boards.

They look identical on the images, you got a source for this info?....

I'm just curious...... because i can't see any difference.

Yes its a definite, look in the spec somewhere.

Do the two S3 boards retail for the same price, Ive only seen the one s3 board selling for a tenner less

"Got some good news here. I called up gigabyte's oem builder line telling them that i want to build systems using their 965p-s3 but that i had some questions regarding it. They transferred me to a motherboard technician since I had questions that seemed to detailed for the sales guy. (I was hoping he would do that!!! LOL) Anyways here is what the tech said.

Question 1: What is the difference between the 965p-ds3 and 965p-s3?

Response: Their is no difference except for the solid state capacitors on the ds3.

Question 2: Does not having the solid state capacitors on the s3 affect overclocking on core 2 duo.

Response: The solid state capacitors have no impact or bearing on the boards ability to overclock. The solid state capacitors are used for long term durability.

Question 3: When you say durability can u elaborate on that?

Response: By durability I mean the S3 board will last probably about 3-4 years. The DS3 will last 5+ years.

Question 4: The DS3 is shown to hit high FSB speeds above 400 easily. Can that be expected or attained on the S3?

Response: Again as I mentioned the boards are the same and we have reached those speeds in testing.

Thats what i asked and that is how he answered... pretty interesting huh!!! "

I've spoken to our hardware engineers here where I work with regards Solid State capacitors.

They are more reliable, last longer and by concequence are more expensive.
Remember the leaking capacitors that appeared on some Abit boards that were less than a year old?
Remember ASUS having a similar issue a year or so ago?
Impossible with the solid state capacitors.

Back
Top Bottom