Direct Access Scheme

Associate
Has anyone here done their license through the Direct Access Scheme (DAS)? I was thinking it would be a good way to cram everything into a single week. Good for office monkeys like me who rarely get enough vacation time to do anything useful.

I'm concerned that it may be a bit overwhelming for a complete novice such as myself. I've never rode a bike, never mind a scooter, and own absolutely zero equipment or safety gear.

A motorcycling school nearby offers a five-day course (including CBT) for £750. Is it worth it?

Associate
I was in an almost identical situation to you about a year ago. I didn't know how well I'd take to biking so I booked the CBT on its own to start off with. I found it a bit overwhelming so bought a 125 and rode that until I'd built my confidence up.

Several months later, when my confidence was high and I'd had a lot of experience riding the 125, I booked a direct access course. My experience on the 125 helped me a lot when I got on the 500. Now, I know a lot of people will tell you to just do it all in one go, but I'd highly recommend the route I took. I was doing it for fun and as I wasn't in a hurry, I didn't feel a need to do everything in one go.

Associate
Bear in mind that Direct Access refers to the fact that once complete, you can ride any power bike, rather than being restricted. You can do it split up over a period of time (Assuming your local school offers this)

Soldato
You will get all the safety equipment from the company you choose, bear in mind though completing the course in a week does mean you will have to pass everything pretty much first time.

Saying that best bit of advice i can give you is if your not sure or 100% happy with any part of the test or your riding tell the instructon and dont be shy. They are there to help at the end of the day :)

Soldato
Mike, if you are in Edinburgh go to Saltire Suzuki. I am doing my DAS with them at the moment and Bruce and Bill are very good. Its also cheaper than the one down at Seafield. You can do the course at your own pace and they do Saturday lessons which I found very useless due to work.

Associate
OP
Mike, if you are in Edinburgh go to Saltire Suzuki. I am doing my DAS with them at the moment and Bruce and Bill are very good. Its also cheaper than the one down at Seafield. You can do the course at your own pace and they do Saturday lessons which I found very useless due to work.

Cheers, I'll have a look!

Associate
Actually, that raises an interesting point. A powerful bike, but a full weeks training, or a little 125, but only a days training - which is more dangerous? I've only got a CBT, so I don't know how well the DAS training prepares you, but I'm still learning almost non-stop after a couple of months.

Soldato
A lot of people confuse Direct Access with the All-inclusive courses.

I'm not a fan of going from no experience to passing the test in a week. They're the people who think that lobbing a lump sum of money at it gives them mad skills.

The fact is that those who pass in a week are likely to be those who wouldn't be seen dead on a 125 and want an R1 or Blade immediately. Such arrogance and inexperience is in evidence most sundays by power rangers riding like lunatics.

Associate
i was looking at the DAS week course and a couple of deciding factors cropped up.

the main being....

can i trust myself??

errm, well i'm not sure, everything i do i strive to be the best, and i'm a bit of an adrenaline junkie!

i've been cycling main roads as a commute for nearly 5 years and am yet to have a SMIDSY, well to the point that i have made contact with a vehicle. a few choice words have been exchanged tho on a couple of occasions.

but even with this experience i'm going to be getting a little aprilia rs4 125 on L plates for now so basically if i do get the urge to ride like my hair is on fire i stand less chance of killing myself. and after a bit of time has passed then i might feel the need to go bigger and at least have a bit of a sixth sense and tech ability.

now if they would only release an rs4 450!!

Associate
You need at least a few months experience riding a 125 before you consider a direct access course.
I agree it's worth getting some road experience before doing a DAS, whether it be driving a car or riding a 125, but there's nothing wrong at all about going straight for the full test. It's what I did, and I've been riding safely and accident-free for over 6 years now.

Associate
i was looking at the DAS week course and a couple of deciding factors cropped up.

the main being....

can i trust myself??

I think it's a very good thing that you acknowledge you might not be able to trust yourself!...

You have to be restrained and realise you are pretty much always going to come off worse in an accident, so ride in a style that will reduce the chance of accidents.

Associate
OP
After considering all the facts I have decided not to jump into the DAS right away. I will get my CBT in Spring 2012, and in the mean time save up some cash for a 125cc learner bike in time for May 2012. One of the above three, used, will be what I'm looking for.

It's not that I don't trust myself. It's just that given the sheer amount of money I'd be throwing at the course, I need to be certain that I will pass. The only way I can see of doing that is to practice, practice and practice some more.

So - if anyone is looking to sell a decent 125cc bike next Spring, give me a shout!

Associate
Well I am 42 yrs old and have been driving since 17, with no accidents may I add and after an agreement with the other half many yrs ago, along the lines of "...not while the kids are still at school you won't !" I started my DAS last Oct. with basically no experience, apart from falling off my bro's DT50 in a field when I was 15 lol, and I thought I would get it done inside the week too, it didn't pan out this way as my instructor said its flexible, so I could pay for the week but stagger the mod 1 and 2 training to suit, cos don't forget if you fail yr mod 1, like I did first time, stupid lock up on emergency stop,in the drizzle, you won't be able to get another in inside a week anyway. So all in all I think I spread mine out over about 8 weeks, mainly due to test availability.
Anyway glad I did the DAS, as I am 6'2 and I thought I would look slightly silly on a small scooter etc. Bought myself a Kawasaki Er6-f after reading lots about first big bikes, as I use it every day for work and the more experienced bikers may not agree, but to me it has more than enough power for someone who is in the early stages of the learning curve. Course I would have loved a GSX-R, ZX6 or an R6 but it would only end up in disaster.
So all in all I think each to their own, as everyone's ability/confidence levels are different and it doesn't matter what route you take as to get yr licence just as long as you get there safely, and above all, stay safe once you have it.
See you on the roads.

Soldato
You need at least a few months experience riding a 125 before you consider a direct access course.

I disagree as well. I went from no experience, to doing my CBT, then having a 6 week break, then going straight onto my DAS, and I've not been involved in a crash, except for when I binned it in the rain, but that could have happened anytime. My road ability is fine though, and I didn't have a car licence prior to doing my DAS either, was my first ever vehicle.

Back
Top Bottom