Direct Access Scheme

Soldato
I went from having never been on a bike to passing DAS in 5 days and wouldn't say that I'm in any way an unsafe rider.
I did the CBT on day 1, spent 2.5 days on the 125's and then the last 2 days on the 500 including the test at the end of the day.

I've not thrown myself through a hedge, into a cars path or done anything else life threatening. The worst I've had was a minor spill on some black ice at <10mph and that was in riding year 5.

My first bike after passing was a GPZ500S, mainly for financial reasons. I held onto that for less than a year and have steadily increased engine size (although not necessarily power) up to my current ZZR1100.

I did the IAM course after a year of riding and found that a great way to increase skills and would recommend it to anyone whether they have been riding a year or 20 years.

Some people shouldn't do DAS and get onto an R1, other have the level of maturity and restraint to be able to do it. You can't tar everyone with the same brush.

Soldato
You need at least a few months experience riding a 125 before you consider a direct access course.

Sorry mate, but I disagree.

There are literally hundreds of people who do the CBT and DAS all in 1 week. :)

With no experience whatsoever? I dread to think how competent they will be on the road.

I disagree too. Thought I didn't do my DAS over a week I did it over a month.

CBT then a 2 week break. (Theory done in this time)
4 more hours on a 125, 1 week break,
4 hours on a 500, 1 week break,
Mod 1, 1 week break
Mod 2, 1 week break.

I did all my training at weekends, other than my Mod 2 training/test as these had to be mid week.

Everybody learns at different speeds. If you've some experience driving a car ( I had 5 years, accident free) you will know how the roads work pretty well. If you're new to the roads I'd juggest spending much more time on them so you've one less thing to worry about.

I had 2 extra sessions, 4 hours each as I wanted more time to learn how bikes handle and respond and also build up some confidence and it was well worth it.

I hadn't ridden before at all and just after a month later I've my full license and a ZX6R to take out at the weekends.

Just be careful and sensible.

Good luck :)

Edit: don't even consider which bike you want yet as I guarentee you learning to ride will make you rethink it! it's that same horrible feeling as learning to drive feeling like you have very little control :p

Soldato
Apart from in rain.
Well, I'd love to know what spending 6 months riding a 125cc between CBT and DAS would have taught me about avoiding something running out right in front of you during a heavy downpour. It wasn't a bad bin because I was riding to suit the conditions, I was going quite a bit slower than the speed limit, not rushing to get home, but unfortunately these things happen.

Associate
No. I don't claim to know it all and never will.

However, the fact that you are making utterly ridiculous statements about people who pass in one week, gives the impression that YOU are the one who's a "know-it-all".

Back
Top Bottom