Disabled couple snooped on and accused of fraud by the DWP

Soldato
When you consider a decent number of our MPs aren't exactly the best behaved members of society, imagine the carnage of having them all under one literal roof.

Soldato
OP
If you think ill treatment of disabled people, children, was a thing of the past, think again!

File on 4.
Three years ago, dozens of memory sticks were discovered in a sealed box at a school for children with special educational needs. There was 500 hours of footage which showed children being held in so-called 'calming rooms.' The videos showed the children being hit and denied access to a toilet. File on 4 investigates why a subsequent police investigation and an independent inquiry didn't lead to staff being sacked. File on 4 reveals how staff who were filmed hitting, kicking, and leaving children sitting in urine have not been sacked or referred to the barring service.

Last edited:
Commissario
The cost is still cheaper than putting 650 MP's up in hotels.
Cheaper still, put them on a barge moored up in the Thames next to the houses of parliament.

Most of the necessary security is already in place, it's a very short commute to work, they'll have great views of historic london and the Thames, and you could separate different decks for the different parties.

Oops sorry you said cheaper than putting them up in hotels, by their track record it would cost more than putting them up in 5* hotel suites IIRC the current barge they've hired is more expensive per day per person (even when full) than hiring a Disney Cruise ship on a round the world trip.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Lots of news at the moment about proposed ? changes to pip for depression and anxiety, I have suffered from both and never far from both but never been down the benefits route.
Depression and anxiety likely won't be the main reason but a mental disability like Autism etc

It's well known people with Autism can have crippling anxiety and can become depressed from not having a fulfilling life.
some of them might get PIP but they are basically abandoned by society.

they'd probably be better off with less money from pip, and the money they miss out on being spent trying to upskill them into a line of work that's suitable for them.

Imagine a country that actually tries to upskill the poor and disabled.... surely the expense pays for itself within a few years.

our country seems to be focused on grinding people down and taxing you to death..

you see MPs coming out with "we will have 300k more apprenticeships" that's a drop in the ocean..... and probably only school leavers are eligible anyway

Last edited:
Caporegime
Colour me cynical but he can blame that on Boris.
Sunak was the chancellor in charge of the money?
all the covid loan fraud. Foreign criminals loved this trick.
eat out to help us commit fraud. (laundering money has never been this good, the same as put orders through the till that never happened.)
PPE scandals
Furlough abuse, weren't some places completely making up employees who didn't exist?

almost none of it investigated it seems.

this is how easy it was to get a covid business loan

• Rian O’Keeffe successfully applied for a £50,000 Bounce Back Loan in July 2020 on behalf of what he claimed was his Trainersource business
  • However, the business did not, and never had, existed
  • O’Keeffe used the funds for general living expenses and had no intention of ever paying the loan back
They don't even check if a business exists? :cry:
The incompetence is staggering

if they think you were overpaid on your benefits they will be all over your bank statements for 50pence and your a criminal for not reporting it or whatever...

When an MP does dodgy finances it's always an honest mistake :cry:

Last edited:
Caporegime

The problem is fraud is going to be things like someone stating they can barely walk and then being caught out because they take part in say a charity run or photographed carrying out physical, cash in hand work.

That either relies on people snitching or someone being actively investigated and by default that's only going to cover a small percentage of even those who might be making fraudulent claims.

The wider issue of course isn't necessarily the people who are probably taking the Mickey in such an easy-to-prove way but rather the grey areas - things like mental health or indeed where there is some underlying condition but they're milking it significantly re: the actual impact on their lives yet who can prove otherwise if they're also not working and mostly at home watching sky TV etc.. no one knows for sure what any given individual is feeling inside.

What we do know is that there are Facebook groups out there coaching people about what to say to make sure they get a claim approved. IIRC there was some trick mentioned in here re: not walking up a flight of stairs for the meeting if claiming that walking was difficult. If you've got a situation where various conditions can be claimed by asserting some symptoms and people are coaching others re: how to do that then ostensibly no one can prove otherwise, anyone who wants to make a claim can follow the script. Unless they're caught red-handed posting about their five-aside football game on facebook or seen doing cash-in-hand work then....

What we also know is that there are big disparities between groups claiming benefits:
2Rzhlo9.png

Now obviously there are perhaps underlying reasons that explain *some* of the differences but it is a bit farcical - Chinese seem to be super resilient compared to everyone else. Bangladeshis from the same part of the world as Indians have disabilities at nearly double the rate. It can't all be cousin marriage right? Some poverty or differences in quality of immigrant group maybe - more smart, middle-class professional types among the Indians and more unskilled average joes among the Bangladeshis and Pakistanis perhaps.

IIRC Irish travelers have a very high rate too - obviously, some of that can be attributed to lifestyle choices too - alcoholism and violence perhaps not helping much.

Last edited:
Soldato
Some of this disability stuff does seem like a complete grift - YouTuber on PIP earns £650 a time coaching people in how to fill out the forms and advising them on what to say in interviews:

She exists because the system is so callous and ******* cruel that people NEED help.

You have NO IDEA how difficult it is to go through the pip process and MANY people fail purely due to this. You have do to it when your SICK, usually UNABLE to do things like this on your own.
There is VERY LITTLE help in regards to getting these 20 plus page documents filled out. They are created with extremely repetitive questions to catch you out.
If you have mental issues it is incredibly hard to deal with.

Even I needed help doing it on behalf of my mother, and it was hard to get, all I got was a phone call to go over what I had already written. Most people who apply don't have an advocate or someone to help them as easily.
Due to how they reject almost the majority of claims outright, many for illegitimate reasons (end up getting overturned), people need the help.

The DWP have targets for assessors to follow, if the system wasnt so cruel people wouldn't need help like this.

Caporegime
She exists because the system is so callous and ******* cruel that people NEED help.

[...]

The DWP have targets for assessors to follow, if the system wasnt so cruel people wouldn't need help like this.

But that's a result of so many people taking the Mickey, especially in cases where it's just self-asserted symptoms - see the "system learning" tweet above - it's not just that professional PIP consultants but large Facebook groups with just over 100k people on their mailing list all being coached in how to try and claim the maximum points they possible can.

It's just not going to be sustainable, we've already got a ballooning elderly population which means a bigger strain on the NHS even with increases in funding (we've gone well past the extra 350 million a week) and neither party seems to want to touch pensions.

So more and more are reliant on a shrinking worker subset to pay for everyone else and unfortunately immigration (at least as it currently stands) isn't necessarily helping with that either - importing more deliveroo drivers or say middle-aged people from the third world to work in Tesco is going to be a net drain overall - they'll contribute barely anything in terms of tax and NI and then potentially add to the big fat pensioner liability if they stick around or indeed jump on the benefits band wagon before then in some communities.

Soldato
But that's a result of so many people taking the Mickey, especially in cases where it's just self-asserted symptoms - see the "system learning" tweet above - it's not just that professional PIP consultants but large Facebook groups with just over 100k people on their mailing list all being coached in how to try and claim the maximum points they possible can.

It's just not going to be sustainable, we've already got a ballooning elderly population which means a bigger strain on the NHS even with increases in funding (we've gone well past the extra 350 million a week) and neither party seems to want to touch pensions.

So more and more are reliant on a shrinking worker subset to pay for everyone else and unfortunately immigration (at least as it currently stands) isn't necessarily helping with that either - importing more deliveroo drivers or say middle-aged people from the third world to work in Tesco is going to be a net drain overall - they'll contribute barely anything in terms of tax and NI and then potentially add to the big fat pensioner liability if they stick around or indeed jump on the benefits band wagon before then in some communities.

No.

Last edited:
Caporegime
If anything it's ultimately causing more friction for the genuine claimants too - there are obvious feedback loops, people learn the ins and outs of the system, share how to exploit it, the government tries to address it... that places an admin burden on everyone and so it goes on...

Associate
I got refused PIP several times, I was mentally ill, had no clue how to fill in the forms. Because I didn't know I was ill (as it so very common with some mental illnesses) I couldn't exactly put in the forms I was ill. The last time I was refused I was at that time locked up in a mental health hospital quite close to death, but apparently I still didn't qualify for PIP. I got it on the very final appeal possible, which added more stress and financial worry to the problems I already had.

Soldato
I got refused PIP several times, I was mentally ill, had no clue how to fill in the forms. Because I didn't know I was ill (as it so very common with some mental illnesses) I couldn't exactly put in the forms I was ill. The last time I was refused I was at that time locked up in a mental health hospital quite close to death, but apparently I still didn't qualify for PIP. I got it on the very final appeal possible, which added more stress and financial worry to the problems I already had.
Sorry you went through that.

<3

Back
Top Bottom