Disabling windows 10 updates permanently

Associate
As above, I want to stop windows updates forever without windows over riding it and pursuing updates in future..I also want to ensure no notifications for updates appear. Can someone point me in the right direction as it seems previous working options for this are no longer 100 percent reliable.

Thanks

Soldato
there are lots of good threads on here look through them to see the mechanisms

[bad idea ? obviously most people use mechanisms to control when they apply them, and avoid the MS screw-ups,
but in the degenerative case you can opt never to install any ... if you observe good hygiene do you really need all these security patches
.. I blocked w7 patches 2 years ago - life goes on]

Man of Honour
if you observe good hygiene do you really need all these security patches

Sadly right now yes - whole load of security holes in Windows 10 at the moment if you don't have the latest updates :( some older builds are basically as wide open as Windows XP if the malware authors get on the case. (Read the security advisories for not having KB4512508 and KB4507469 for instance).

I can totally understand disabling Windows update though :( the implementation is obnoxious.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thanks for the replies chaps, this was a work related question. One of our clients required no updates or update notifications for the 2 systems we built for him today.

I was under a bit of pressure to sort it quickly as there was only an hour between building the systems, imaging the os and the customer picking it up. I was aware there were a few methods to accomplish it but few of them seemed to sort it permanently. I ended up setting it up via gpedit.msc as I didn't have the time to make the necessary registry changes. It should hopefully do the trick.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom