Discord for comms - somebody please translate?

Soldato
Last night I was in a multiplayer game using txt chat and someone suggested I use the discord (for that game) for comms.

What does this mean, how do I do it and do I need any additional hardware?

/noob

Underboss
Google Discord
Install Discord
Open Discord
Google games Discord
Join games Discord

Profit

Microphone needed if you want to talk, if not you can text chat.

Permabanned
Discord is just a program. Like teamspeak, ventrilo, etc. But with chat built in like irc, slack, etc. Install it.

You join by someone giving you a link. Then you click add server and paste the link in. Then you see a list of channels on the left for chat or voice.

Soldato
OP
Thanks so install it on my phone, can I use that to speak to people or a headset?

Do people generally do txt or voice?

Caporegime
you can't use a phone as a mic for discord, it's not practical.

you can't do push to talk and game at the same time with a phone and people will just find it annoying if they can hear every mouse and keyboard sound from you

buy a cheap headset or mic and install discord on pc

you can still listen to them but talk back in txt ingame until then.

Soldato
OP
you can't use a phone as a mic for discord, it's not practical.

you can't do push to talk and game at the same time with a phone and people will just find it annoying if they can hear every mouse and keyboard sound from you

buy a cheap headset or mic and install discord on pc

you can still listen to them but talk back in txt ingame until then.
Thanks, that’s what I’ll do

Caporegime
So I need to buy a headset and not use the speaker on my phone? Soz for noob questions

Theres a couple of different ways that people use discord. I would say by far and away the most popular on PC is to install the discord program on your PC, and then use headphones for gaming. You can have the game audio and the chat audio from your team mates on discord through the same headset. Discord has a volume control so you can adjust it so that the volume is just nice - loud enough to hear your teammates, but not so loud as to drown out the game.

Others use it on their phone. This is most popular amongst console gamers who physically can't install it on their console. This can work in a number of different ways - have the audio output from your phone like you're talking on loud speaker, you could plug headphones into your phone and just have one ear in and use the other ear to listen to your TV / speakers or you could have a high quality headset that allows you to connect to your playstation or xbox via a wired connection to the controller, then connect to the phone via bluetooth. This has the same effect as PC where you have both sound sources (discord and your game) coming through your headphones at once.

The first option is by far the most popular option on PC as using the app with a headset just works so much better and is so much simpler.

Soldato
OP
Theres a couple of different ways that people use discord. I would say by far and away the most popular on PC is to install the discord program on your PC, and then use headphones for gaming. You can have the game audio and the chat audio from your team mates on discord through the same headset. Discord has a volume control so you can adjust it so that the volume is just nice - loud enough to hear your teammates, but not so loud as to drown out the game.

Others use it on their phone. This is most popular amongst console gamers who physically can't install it on their console. This can work in a number of different ways - have the audio output from your phone like you're talking on loud speaker, you could plug headphones into your phone and just have one ear in and use the other ear to listen to your TV / speakers or you could have a high quality headset that allows you to connect to your playstation or xbox via a wired connection to the controller, then connect to the phone via bluetooth. This has the same effect as PC where you have both sound sources (discord and your game) coming through your headphones at once.

The first option is by far the most popular option on PC as using the app with a headset just works so much better and is so much simpler.
Thankyou.

I also have a built in mic on my external webcam that I use for head tracking, could this be used instead of a separate headset do you think?

Soldato
I play Apex Legends with another PC player and some other guy on Xbox, is there a way for the xbox guy to use discord or is it not supported?

edit: just had a read and whilst you can link it to an xbox account there isn't any cross platform voice which makes the whole think pointless! Thought my xbox mate was just being lazy when saying it doesn't work :D

Soldato
I play Apex Legends with another PC player and some other guy on Xbox, is there a way for the xbox guy to use discord or is it not supported?

edit: just had a read and whilst you can link it to an xbox account there isn't any cross platform voice which makes the whole think pointless! Thought my xbox mate was just being lazy when saying it doesn't work :D

He could talk through the discord app on his phone I suppose, not sure how good/bad he would sound though.

Back
Top Bottom