discretionary service charge

Associate
I often get taxi drivers who geniunely ask 'do you want the change?'

after a £7/8 journey and giving them a tenner, cheeky b*!

ill tip in restaurants if i deem it worthy but i'd never tip someone in a pub or something

Associate
[TW]Fox;20929895 said:
* They actually don't - there IS a minimum wage in most States for catering staff.

But in America the owner doesn't have to pay the whole wage as the expected tip is part of that minimum wage.

Caporegime
REALLY?! That sounds a bit wrong, I know it's custimary but it isn't manditory

Depends on the state but it certainly can be the situation that a portion of the minimum wage comes from tips - if the tips + reduced hourly wage aren't enough to make up minimum wage then the employer makes up the difference.

In states where tips are not allowed to be included to make up minimum wage the expected tip amount is still the same (20% is generally standard in the US)

Soldato
[TW]Fox;20932301 said:
Because as said above if there are insufficient tips to make up the minimum wage, the employer must top the wage up.

Still sounds fishy to me, and I don't mean the restaurant lol. Surely your boss has to pay you minimum wage, then the tips are a bonus for doing a good job

Man of Honour
Still sounds fishy to me, and I don't mean the restaurant lol. Surely your boss has to pay you minimum wage, then the tips are a bonus for doing a good job

No in America. Tips are given even if you do an average job - its just how the culture works. A tip of 10% for example means you were unhappy with the service.

Soldato
OP
[TW]Fox;20932329 said:
No in America. Tips are given even if you do an average job - its just how the culture works. A tip of 10% for example means you were unhappy with the service.

A tip of 0% means they should assume the service was satisfactory (unless told different).

Man of Honour
A tip of 0% means they should assume the service was satisfactory (unless told different).

It is common in America for service not be part of the food cost. It's a different system over their. So the initial bill pays for the food and overheads, but not for the service.

Man of Honour

Thats not how it works there.

I agree it's ridiculous, I hate paying it and it winds me up but when you are in somebody elses country you observe the culture of that country.

Caporegime
+1 I'm going to america in April and I won't be tipping anyone unless I get an extra steak with my food

You'll likely change that view very quickly or you'll very likely have a lot of unpleasant incidents during your stay.

(bearing in mind what has already been posted re: how waiters are compensated in some states and also it is generally expected that waiting staff tip out other non waiting staff - if you don't tip them then you'll be hurting them financially as they'll still have to tip out to others based on the total sales made).

Soldato
[TW]Fox;20933191 said:
Excellent service should come as standard.

If someone has gone out of their way to make your meal/experience great, why not leave them a few quid, especially if you intend on returning?

Man of Honour
If someone has gone out of their way to make your meal/experience great, why not leave them a few quid, especially if you intend on returning?

I agree with that - but would class somebody going out of their way to make my experience great as being more than simply excellent service.

Last edited:
Soldato
Usually give a tip of 10% if the service is fine. More if the service has been exceptional (~15%), and of-course no-tip if the service was below par.

Yes 'discretionary service charges' are sneaky, but I guess maybe they're designed for group/party bookings where usually people don't tip as much compared with if they were alone, and also hotels where people don't tip as much compared with resteraunts.

If the bill has included in it a 'discretionary service charge' of 10%, and I was going to tip 10%, then of-course I do not tip as it is done for me on the bill.
If the service was exceptional and thus I want to tip 15% I add this extra 5% to the 'discretionary service charge' included on the bill.
If the service was below par and I would not be leaving a tip I would ask for the 'discretionary service charge' to be removed.

Bill came up to a little over £80.
service charge came up to around £9.00
That's about 10% then, and thus what I would to tip if the service was fine. The 'discretionary service charge' would therefore become my tip. I wouldn't ask for it to be removed, and I wouldn't add anything to it.

Back
Top Bottom