Disk Error

Associate
My PC had been crashing a lot recently, which I put down to the heat, and left it off for a day (normally on 24/7). Came home, turned it on and got 'Disk Error detected, press ctrl alt del to restart' before booting into Windows or anything. I turned it off left it a bit, came back, same thing. I went into the Bios and changed the primary boot source from CD to HDD-1 or 0. I think that was it, anyway. Then it booted into Windows, crashed, rebooted, and loaded Windows as normal. It's been working for about an hour since which I have been using to back up important things. It's a two year old 160 gig Samsung SATA HDD.

I doubt that it's fixed now though, will it just fail again if I reboot? Is my harddrive dying? I read this thread, should I do the same as recommended? Any info would be appriciated.

Do you have any other drives to boot from to check its your drive at fault? Does the drive tick loudly? Restarts can also be caused by a failing power supply.If you can borrow a psu to test this is or isn't the problem. The psu may be failing to supply enough watts for a stable system this results in failed boots, drives not reading & crashes.

firewallblocked said:
Do you have any other drives to boot from to check its your drive at fault? Does the drive tick loudly?

I one drive in an old PC with Windows 98 on it, and one with just data on it. It hasn't really been ticking, but it's been making a lot more noise than normal, especially when booting. It's been running fairly well since I posted this thread oddly enough, but next time it won't load I'll grab the other drive and give it a go. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom