DIY people: what is this called?

Soldato
OP
It doubles up as a pretty useful gaming rig sometimes: I FLUSHED BLACK OPS DOWN IT.

See what I did there? ;)

Oh and you can't turn the rubber section upside-down as it only goes on one way (pics aren't clear on this) :D

Associate
I've got exactly the same on my loo and was allowing some water through.
I'm not a plumber, but here's what I did;
Turned off the water to the system and removed the mechanism.
Found there was some limescale on both the rubber seal and the hole that it attaches to. Cleared off as much of it as I could (Mr muscle limescale remover did a good job) and applied some Vaseline to the area that makes contact.
Secured the mechanism back into place and its been good as gold for well over a year now.
Yours maybe caput-skee, but the above worked well for me.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I've got exactly the same on my loo and was allowing some water through.
I'm not a plumber, but here's what I did;
Turned off the water to the system and removed the mechanism.
Found there was some limescale on both the rubber seal and the hole that it attaches to. Cleared off as much of it as I could (Mr muscle limescale remover did a good job) and applied some Vaseline to the area that makes contact.
Secured the mechanism back into place and its been good as gold for well over a year now.
Yours maybe caput-skee, but the above worked well for me.

No limescale on mine, but it was a bit slimy. Cleaned it off and it improved but certainly didn't fix the problem. Vaseline's a good idea though; I'll give that a go :D

Soldato
It's a cistern syphon.

You need to replace the diaphragm.

About 20 years ago since i worked in a plumbing store on my saturday job, but from recall, you might be better buying a new syphon unit, with all the different makes, a universal one might not fit.

You're best bet would be to take it to a trade counter at travis perkins, or a pts.. they'll sort you out.

Last edited:
Soldato
As I said, Lunns more than likely would be able to find the make and model of that Cistern and get the relevant part. I was surprised they were able to get the specific seal ring for the cistern in my ensuite.

Back
Top Bottom