• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

DLSS 2.0: why aren’t more people raving about it?

Caporegime
it's more likely that in bright environments, the edge of textures and objects are more visible to the human eye. But in darker environments those edges are less visible, partially due to most people using ****** monitors that can't display colors properly or not playing dark games in a dark room like they should.

I very much doubt that scientifically dlss works better in a dark game, it's just your monitor can't output as much dark detail because it's crap or your room is too bright preventing you from seeing details in dark games and thus giving the perception that dlss is somehow better because you can't see imperfections

It's a non issue on both my oled and IPS displays.

Soldato
Huh super interesting that, I guess its partly just due to any darker scenes hiding any imperfections
That's exactly it, just like in real life - when a light is shone you see things you didn't when it was a dim environment. It's also applicable with lower resolutions in general and therefore anyone can test it. I play CP2077 & WD:L at low res (but on a 4K TV) and whenever it's night time the image immediately looks a lot better than during the day but that's just because the dark obscures/obfuscates a lot of details that are otherwise clearer during day time.

Amusingly you can also see this quite starkly with R&C Rift Apart, when in the city at night it looks absolutely next-gen and really close to CGI but then go to the jungle sections and the pop-in is really obvious, the flickering of the SSGI is more evident for vegetation etc and the game goes back to looking like just a decent looking last-gen title instead. It's just way easier to make a dark scene look good than a lit one, that's just down to how we view things in general and it can't be helped.

Associate
That's exactly it, just like in real life - when a light is shone you see things you didn't when it was a dim environment. It's also applicable with lower resolutions in general and therefore anyone can test it. I play CP2077 & WD:L at low res (but on a 4K TV) and whenever it's night time the image immediately looks a lot better than during the day but that's just because the dark obscures/obfuscates a lot of details that are otherwise clearer during day time.

Amusingly you can also see this quite starkly with R&C Rift Apart, when in the city at night it looks absolutely next-gen and really close to CGI but then go to the jungle sections and the pop-in is really obvious, the flickering of the SSGI is more evident for vegetation etc and the game goes back to looking like just a decent looking last-gen title instead. It's just way easier to make a dark scene look good than a lit one, that's just down to how we view things in general and it can't be helped.
I would argue that Rift Apart also looks amazing in the day, but I get your point the night areas look that little bit better! Probably partly to do with all those shiny reflections in puddles everywhere as well :D but yeah think this is it

Back
Top Bottom