• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Do AMD provide any benefit to the retail GPU segment.

As for the title question, the answer is: yes, obviously. AMD gives you the option of a cheaper GPU & more vram and overall better value if you don't care about RT, as well as providing a counter-weight to Nvidia's monopolistic tendencies - if you think things are bad now, just imagine if Nvidia DIDN'T have to think of AMD at all. So that's a clear benefit.

Exactly this. The idea of Nvidia having absolutely no competition is awful.

AMD haven’t been this competitive for years. I don’t know what people are expecting but maybe they are looking at different reviews to me because they are highly competitive and have a ton of features now days. I’ve got a 4090 and a 7900 xt, also had a 6950xt, 6900xt, 6800xt and a 6700xt…! And they have all be superb cards with excellent ownership experience. I don’t get why everyone is so negative about AMD in the GPU space. They offer a feature rich alternative. The 7900 XTX is a powerhouse with tons of a vram available at a comparable price to a 4080.

That in itself is excellent for everyone, including Nvidia.

Last edited:
AMD makes better cards than NV IMO, with the exception of the Halo card. On reflection of the last gen, the low-end cards are a clean sweep for AMD, NV's offerings were trash tier, and clearly the best cards at mid rage were the fine wine 6700XT and 6800XT, while NV 60s, 70s and the 10GB 80 have all run into the VRAM issues we all saw coming, plus they're all still ludicrously expensive. The 10GB 3080 was nothing more than a bait and switch with NV shortly coming up with a 12GB version, (really the 80 class should have had 16GB) so the 10Gb was a double-gimp...

But, people are always gonna Nvidia whatever the reality is, so let them keep getting milked for overpirced cards that don't age well, and we'll keep buying the better cards from AMD...

:)

The biggest problem with people talking about these things, including dummies like ATV, is that they keep framing this discussion in terms of simple moves, as if AMD is a bakery and they should just tweak the dough a bit, not understanding the time horizon of this industry and the way these moves are made. The reality is AMD made the moves we see today many years ago, and so whatever adjustments to the strategy they will make we will only see long after they are made, so any discussions of what they "should" do from us the masses is pointless - we have incomplete information and even that only years later; yeah, good luck making assessments with that! Ultimately this all ends up as nothing more than yapping.

As for the title question, the answer is: yes, obviously. AMD gives you the option of a cheaper GPU & more vram and overall better value if you don't care about RT, as well as providing a counter-weight to Nvidia's monopolistic tendencies - if you think things are bad now, just imagine if Nvidia DIDN'T have to think of AMD at all. So that's a clear benefit.
Their biggest chance to slap the snot out of nvidia was in 2018,during the Turing era. Rt was nowhere to be seen and dlss was practically absolute crap, and Turing offered no meaningful increases in raster performance. But amd said proudly, hold my beer, and they released the 5700xt,the jebaited card, a 1080ti competitor with less vram. That's when I gave up on amd and never even considered them again.

But amd said proudly, hold my beer, and they released the 5700xt,the jebaited card, a 1080ti competitor with less vram. That's when I gave up on amd and never even considered them again.

What a bizarre perspective.

What bearing does that have on future products? None surely? Just judge the products at the time. It’s not like I judge current Nvidia GPU’s on their FX lineup.

Last edited:
What a bizarre perspective.

What bearing does that have on future products? None surely? Just judge the products at the time. It’s not like I judge current Nvidia GPU’s on their FX lineup.
If they can't beat nvidia at their worse (Turing), what chance do they have to compete against their best?

AMD could exit the dgpu market tomorrow and hardly anyone would notice with their single digit marketshare.

It would also be a shame if they lost their console contracts next gen ;)

The biggest problem with people talking about these things, including dummies like ATV, is that they keep framing this discussion in terms of simple moves, as if AMD is a bakery and they should just tweak the dough a bit, not understanding the time horizon of this industry and the way these moves are made. The reality is AMD made the moves we see today many years ago, and so whatever adjustments to the strategy they will make we will only see long after they are made, so any discussions of what they "should" do from us the masses is pointless - we have incomplete information and even that only years later; yeah, good luck making assessments with that! Ultimately this all ends up as nothing more than yapping.

Yeah, agreed.
Exactly this. The idea of Nvidia having absolutely no competition is awful.

AMD haven’t been this competitive for years. I don’t know what people are expecting but maybe they are looking at different reviews to me because they are highly competitive and have a ton of features now days. I’ve got a 4090 and a 7900 xt, also had a 6950xt, 6900xt, 6800xt and a 6700xt…! And they have all be superb cards with excellent ownership experience. I don’t get why everyone is so negative about AMD in the GPU space. They offer a feature rich alternative. The 7900 XTX is a powerhouse with tons of a vram available at a comparable price to a 4080.

That in itself is excellent for everyone, including Nvidia.

RDNA2 is by far the best architecture AMD have made in many many years, if you ignore its RT performance, which for me to use Nvidia's example anything from the 3080 down you should because in terms of usable performance its just a token feature at that point.

The best card from that generation is the RTX 3090, i think we can all agree on that, great card, but a bit pricey, and that's fine, its a halo card designed for people for who money is no object, ok good.

I think the best card for the mass market from that generation are the RX 6600XT / 6650XT, RX 6700XT / 6750XT and the RX 6800, that last one is the one i really like but AMD have pretty much EOL that one, its almost impossible to find, they are not hugely better than the RTX 3060 <> 3070Ti but they are IMO better for a couple of reasons and cheaper, right what we all argue AMD should be doing, this is AMD doing that, so hows it going? Steam Hardware Survey has the RTX 3060 9X as many as the RX 6600XT and 6700XT put together, going from that Nvidia sold 20X more 3060's than AMD sold RX 6600XT's which is AMD's second highest ranking RDNA2 GPU, the highest being the 6700XT.

So where AMD should be at their best, in fact are at their best, they have 5% market share. Every single 3000 series, other than the RTX 3050Ti, which i didn't even know was a thing, is ranked higher.

What more do they have to do? And AMD can see these comparisons better than we can.

But they are broadly competitive currently.
Competing on price doesn't make you competitive. It's a fact that their products are lacking in RT performance, in features (DLSS / FG) , in power consumption and in drivers stability. What AMD can do is just price their products lower, and they don't even do that, at least not on launch. The last few years they started to pay devs to make their games hog VRAM like crazy while they look like crap so they seem more competitive than they are. Despicable.

I think the best card for the mass market from that generation are the RX 6600XT / 6650XT, RX 6700XT / 6750XT and the RX 6800
The 6600xt suffers from severe bandwidth issues, in recent games the 3060 is much faster than the 6600xt (forspoken / tlou / RT hogwarts / deadspace etc.)

It would also be a shame if they lost their console contracts next gen ;)

Honestly, nvidia having the console market would be for the better, just imagine how far ahead we would be in game visuals now if nvidia owned the market here and give developers what they want rather than amd deciding what is best for them. Amd have proven they are quite happy to put in as little effort as possible and only come out with solutions when they are pushed by their community to get on par/sliding behind even more e.g. reflex/low lag, freesync, ray tracing, upscaling and now frame generation, had it not been for nvidia, we probably still be waiting for these things :o

The 6600xt suffers from severe bandwidth issues, in recent games the 3060 is much faster than the 6600xt (forspoken / tlou / RT hogwarts / deadspace etc.)

Erm?

All of those games are in this and no.... that's simply not true.

Erm?

All of those games are in this and no.... that's simply not true.

Man the majority if not all of these sites are just fake (testing games / mikes benching / nj tech etc.).

Yes it is true, check hwunboxed or techpowerup. For example

performance-1920-1080.png

performance-rt-1920-1080.png

Man the majority if not all of these sites are just fake (testing games / mikes benching / nj tech etc.).

Don't tell me anything but TPU are fake because they don't agree with you, do you think i'm that stupid?
You're just not going to derail this thread by throwing troll grenades and then getting in to slide wars when someone posts something to counter your argument.

Last edited:
Don't tell me anything but TPU are fake because they don't agree with you, do you think i'm that stupid?
You're just not going to derail this thread by throwing troll grenades and then getting in to slide wars when someone posts something to counter your argument.
Im telling you they are fake cause...they are fake.

Let's check techspot as well, shall we
Ultra_1080p.png

What a way to re-purpose this slides, that is funny @Bencher :D that's not a lack of bandwidth, its a lack of VRam, this slide has done the rounds for an entirely different reason, look at all the 8GB cards....
Some games it's lack of ram, some it's lack bandwidth, like the TLOU from techpowerup posted above. Don't think the main issue is whether it's caused by vram or ram bandwidth, end result is the same, njtech is fake and the 3060 performs better cause of vram, no?

The RTX3060 12GB matches an RTX3070 8GB due to lack of VRAM. The second is using RT and 22FPS isn't great either!

But if you look at the HUB review of The Last of Us:
QjKqisp.png

uCa58MJ.png

At Ultra settings 8GB of VRAM isn't enough,as the RTX3060 12GB has much higher 1% lows than the RTX3060TI and RX6650XT which are functionally the same(the RTX3060TI is a faster card).At High settings the RX6600XT/RX6650XT have the same minimums and average FPS as the RTX3060.

In Hogwart's Legacy at medium settings,the RX6600XT/RX6650XT are faster:

1v6PnpA.png

At Ultra the RX6600XT/RX6650XT are faster:

xz2uO3w.png

With RT,the RTX3060TI trails the RTX3060 12GB and the former isn't much faster than an RX6600XT/RX6650XT:

This is not a usual case and hints that the 8GB of VRAM on the RX6600XT/RX6650XT/RTX3060TI is not enough. It's a bit annoying to see this an RTX3060TI owner myself.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom