Do bookshelf speakers have to be on a stand?

Soldato
Hi all,

I'm currently looking to purchase some bookshelf speakers but do you really need to place them on a dedicated set of stands (versus say a wood media cabinet)? I know there is a chance of vibrations/etc but is it necessary? I'm looking to save space and having them mounted for optimal ear level isn't ideal.

Thanks

Soldato
Hi all,

I'm currently looking to purchase some bookshelf speakers but do you really need to place them on a dedicated set of stands (versus say a wood media cabinet)? I know there is a chance of vibrations/etc but is it necessary? I'm looking to save space and having them mounted for optimal ear level isn't ideal.

Thanks

Be fine on a cabinet if the speakers are at ear level as ideally where you want the tweeters to be. Could then use some foam pads or wooden feet if needs be but again not necessary either. Would ideally be better on stands but isn't a complete deal breaker if the opening sentence is true.

maj

maj

Soldato
I just have mine placed on the TV stand either side of the TV (which isn't wall mounted) and they sound good enough for me.

Soldato
Hi all,

Thanks
You can put them on some small isolating stands. Obviously up to you though, you can put them anywhere you want.

If you're spending $$$ on something decent it would be daft to just plonk them on a cabinet without any kind of stand..... but depends on your room as well, could be other acoustic problems that make stand or no stand moot!

Soldato
Appropriate positioning of speakers can make a massive difference to the performance of speakers.
If you really don't care enough to be bothered, just get an Alexa and save some cash.
Is that an unreleased product Alexa Atmos or something.
Often people that don't have a a fortune to spend on a dedicated cinema room have to compromise, some decent speakers sound infinitely better than built in TV speakers even with sub-optimal placement.

Soldato
Hi all,

Thanks
Do whatever works for you and don't worry too much about rules or AV lore.

If you put them on a media unit, then ideally consider sealed speakers or ones with a forward firing bass port. Then put them on some wee isolating feet, job jobbed.

Last edited:
Associate
Mine definitely sound better on stands compared to the built in cupboards that they were on.

But I'm also more able to move them to better position them on stands too, so that might be what's actually improving it

Associate
Mine sound great on my media wall with just some small isolation pads. They are well positioned though and the unit is very solid. Make sure they are right at the front of the shelf to mismise impact of reflections, and the rear wall.

I think stands are a bit overrated as are many things in hifi.
There's no way my old metal stands are more inert than this cabinet.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
The last set of stands I had weighed approx 30kg (each) and were full of dry sand, so were basically dead.
What kind of cabinet do you have that’s more solid?

Soldato
My guess is that stands are so that they aren't against a wall, which they would be with a shelf. A known bad place for speakers.

Rooms don't allow us top be too picky, and unless you want to go down the rabbit hole, just stick them where you can.

Soldato
Yes to stands all the way. I made my own.

51PX85o.jpg

Back
Top Bottom