Do dealerships not negotiate on used cars any more?

It's beautiful inside. I don't know if they could have done anything better.

The door handles are oddly made of plastic rather than trimmed in padded leather or vinyl as on the previous 3 Series. The rear doors are missing the kick plates to protect the door sill. The door pockets are entirely plastic and have nothing to stop items put into the pockets rattling around (Though they've done this in the new 5 series now as well) These are all reasonable things they could and should have done better but it's about as long a list as I can think of. The rest of the interior is excellent, its well made, laid out well and iDrive 7 is in my opinion the best system they've done - offering everything you need and nothing you don't in a really logical and easy to use layout without looking like someone just threw a massive screen at the dash with no real consideration for how it then looked.

Called me a couple of weeks later asking if I was still interested, but I’d bought the car I now have by then.
I think this is SOP for some dealers... just say no to any discount on your first visit, some people will really love the car / not want hassle and just stump up the cash.
For those that don't, then they wait around a bit and reach out, with the assumption being if you haven't found a better deal by that point you'll be amenable to taking their offer. At this point if you intimate you have found a dealer offering a better deal / px they may 'speak to the manager' and discover they can do some level of negotiation.

I've noticed the same when buying a 520d for a friend from a... Skoda dealer. Clearly taken against PX - it was decently priced but they wouldn't budge even when I pointed out that despite the full BMW service history and fresh MOT it will definitely need discs and pads over the next few months (the lip on the discs was... significant, he kept yapping about new pads fitted until I told him we can get those discs measured and if they're below the minimum thickness we will get a £1000 discount, if they're not I'll chuck in an extra £1000 over the asking price) . We suggested a few hundred pounds towards them but best we got was a full tank of fuel.
clearly well priced from the outset!

Back
Top Bottom