do glasses make your eyesight worse ?

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Unless there's a difference in the amount of testing time that they allow and the quality of supplementary testing equipment, it won't make a great deal of difference where you get your eyes tested.

Yes you are absolutely correct, However in the real world you end up battling for refunds due to specsavers being all of the above..

Never again, shoddy outfit and I will not go in to the sub par work being done for the NHS which they won/bid on.

Soldato
to the OP - no, that doesn't happen.

The last 20 years my distance eyesight has got a lot better, simply because of changes in eyeball shape over the years - very common.

Soldato
Am fine at distance but my near sight has gone to pot have glasses for reading and food labels etc. Any small writing I need my glasses.

Reading from a distance is good if you drive as you don't need glasses to drive.

Associate
From my own experience i'd say yes, but then I think its more that you put off getting them till you absolutely need to and then you realise how poor your vision has become when you get them.

It was explained to me by an optician that your eye muscles lose performance over the years and when they are younger can make up for your poorer sight but as you get older they can't do that so well, that then gets worse as you get older. Over the last 12 years I have gone from not wearing them to using varifocals.
Obviously sight problems you are born with are different but age ones are you getting on a trip your not getting off!
This was me totally, culminating about 4-5 years ago when my missus saw me, for the umpteenth time, squinting trying to read the cooking instructions on the back of a packet and telling me in no uncertain terms that if I didn't make an eye-test appointment she would. Sure enough, I was prescribed glasses and the first time I put them on the difference was like night and day.

Coincidentally, I had another eye-test this weekend - the first since that initial pair was prescribed. My vision has deteriorated a little from what it was five years ago, but not dramatically, which was pleasing. I'm assuming the cause of the problem is that I've worked in front of a computer screen my entire working life - in some ways I did well getting to my mid-forties before needing specs. That has left me with eyeballs that are not spherical anymore, but shaped like rugby balls - pretty alarming when you think about it! Then again, as I'm 50 this year, screen-use may be a total red-herring and it's just age related.

Soldato
Coincidentally, I had another eye-test this weekend - the first since that initial pair was prescribed. My vision has deteriorated a little from what it was five years ago, but not dramatically, which was pleasing. I'm assuming the cause of the problem is that I've worked in front of a computer screen my entire working life - in some ways I did well getting to my mid-forties before needing specs. That has left me with eyeballs that are not spherical anymore, but shaped like rugby balls - pretty alarming when you think about it! Then again, as I'm 50 this year, screen-use may be a total red-herring and it's just age related.

Eyes shaped like rugby balls is normal for myopic eyes, nothing to be alarmed about :)

Associate
I very much doubt my glasses have made my eyesight worse despite the myth surrounding it.

I'm more of the opinion that going from a blurry view where I didn't realise how bad it had gotten back to sharp vision just makes the degredation more noticable as it happens a second time and your prescription needs updating.

Associate
I've been wearing glasses for 8 years now and my eye sights has deteriorate by small margin, i've been going for once every 2 years regular check ups and after my second check the opticians recommend adding blue coating to my lenses which reduce glare from blue UV lighting.
This has helped me a lot, the only thing that hasn't helped me though is not blinking enough and not taking a break from looking away from any monitors.
I wouldn't say my eyesights gotten worse but they certainly do feel very dry.

Soldato
This was me totally, culminating about 4-5 years ago when my missus saw me, for the umpteenth time, squinting trying to read the cooking instructions on the back of a packet and telling me in no uncertain terms that if I didn't make an eye-test appointment she would. Sure enough, I was prescribed glasses and the first time I put them on the difference was like night and day.

It's age related. Nothing to do with your screen. Your 40s is when you start to require reading glasses anyway, totally normal.

I've been wearing glasses for 8 years now and my eye sights has deteriorate by small margin, i've been going for once every 2 years regular check ups and after my second check the opticians recommend adding blue coating to my lenses which reduce glare from blue UV lighting.
This has helped me a lot, the only thing that hasn't helped me though is not blinking enough and not taking a break from looking away from any monitors.
I wouldn't say my eyesights gotten worse but they certainly do feel very dry.

Yeah, blue light and constant close up computer work can stop you unconsciously blinking which results in irritated, dry eyes - as well as sleep issues.

However, irritated dry eyes can NEVER cause permanent damage, so don't worry about that.

to the OP - no, that doesn't happen.

The last 20 years my distance eyesight has got a lot better, simply because of changes in eyeball shape over the years - very common.

This is actually fairly common in myopes as presbyopia sets in. As the lens hardens, it can cause your prescription to lower and even stave off presbyopia for a few years to a couple of decades.

Soldato
Oh yeah, exactly what the optician said. Just makes me think of the years of abuse that would be needed to bring about a change like that, unless of course in my case it IS all age-related ...

it is all age related - i don't know where everybody is getting all these scientifically nonsense ideas from.

Back
Top Bottom