1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do hospitals have wifi?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Van Hellseek, Jul 3, 2011.

1. Van Hellseek

Capodecina

Does anyone happen to know if hospitals tend to have wifi for patients to use?

2. [TW]Fox

Man of Honour

Not generally, no.

3. PhillyDee

Capodecina

This. The beds have the tv/phone/internet and you have to pay for it. I used my laptop with 3G dongle.

4. Van Hellseek

Capodecina

That's harsh. :(

If modern airports can have free wifi I don't see why hospitals shouldn't. Milking cash out of sick people doesn't seem right.

5. hola_adios

Wise Guy

Most airports don't have free wifi any more, it is the sign of the times.

6. Craig1981

Capodecina

Almost certainly not. Maybe if it was a private hospital, but not on the NHS.

7. DB_SamX

Sgarrista

Why? Free wifi isn't a right.

8. C64

Capodecina

dongle is the way to go i got one recently think i bought the wrong one in tmobile thought was £1 a day but they have doubled the price to £2 a day

and its complete rubbish lucky if you see over 500k before 1am the upload is always 4mb or more though which is odd

9. Minstadave

Capodecina

Addenbrookes in Cambridge had free wifi in the restaurant area but nowhere else I've worked does.

They've all got contracts with the company that runs the internet/tv/radio consoles by the beds so I doubt they'd be allowed.

10. Van Hellseek

Capodecina

Why not? It's our money that's paying for the hospitals.

11. Trifid

Sgarrista

No, your money is paying for people to be treated and get better. Not to have a browse on the internet at the expense of the tax payers.

Very few hospitals have guest wifi access due to the costs involved (the traffic can not be mixed with staff traffic, so a tunnel between the AP's into a DMZ has to be set up along with a dedicated internet connection). I am putting together a proposal for it where I work at the moment and I assure you, it will be a pay to use at a cost similar to that of cheap hotels.

12. JC

Soldato

I think the hospital budget has higher priorities

13. PhillyDee

Capodecina

Think of the cost of thousadns of people on the internet at once . . . . Would need to be a decent sized pipe to handle it all.

14. Van Hellseek

Capodecina

Don't underestimate the importance of keeping sick people in touch with their loved ones and giving them the ability to manage their affairs, such as banking etc.

It may not be the most important thing, but it IS important.

15. wakayoda

Wise Guy

If it was that important to stay online, they would already have either a smartphone or a 3G dongle.

16. SexyGreyFox

Man of Honour

No member of staff has got WiFi at our hospital and even if they did it is so locked down that it's next to useless.
    No News sites, no 3rd party email sites (eg NTLworld, BT), no entertainment sites (my site was blocked last week) and so on.

17. Castiel

Capo Crimine PermaBanned

Hospitals are designed to make sick people well again, not to allow free use of entertainment facilities that would put a financial drain on an already struggling healthcare system with little or no benefit to the well-being of the patient overall.

Free-wifi is not something that you would receive at home or indeed at any other institution (Hotels, Pubs, Airports are not free, it is a facility designed to encourage the use of their services and as such is funded, albeit indirectly, by their customers)

The NHS has no such need to encourage you to pay for their services over that of another provider and as such what you are asking is that a service is provided that has no medical benefit over that of funding treatment. As for the basis of contacting loved ones etc. since the advent of Mobile Phones and 3G internet services, you or your family can provide those services themselves much like you or they would have to outside of the hospital environment so that line of argument is moot.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2011
  18. [TW]Fox

Man of Honour

I cant think of many UK Airports with free Wifi anyway.

19. hola_adios

Wise Guy

Anyway, if you need to do so, just get a mobile broadband dongle. Just check which provider offers better cover at that hospital in particular.

If it is important for you, that is the way to do it.

20. Castiel

Capo Crimine PermaBanned

Quite. Only the channel Islands AFAIK in the UK.