• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Do I have a defective vega 56

Associate
hi
im wondering if anyone can help
bought my pc last November from overclockers
worked well up until a month ago when it suddenly had a major crash and wouldn't work correct after

my graphics card was artefact all over the place even in windows and the whole pc temps were very high (which I thought was due to limited airflow in the case)
when I sent back the pc I paid for a better case with more airflow and a better cpu cooler
I was told the computer was repaired and got it back a few weeks ago(I dont know if they changed the graphics card )it just appeared to work better

my pc is a citizen gamming pc except I changed the graphics card to a ryzen 56 and 16 gb of memory when I purchased the pc(november 2018)
and changed the case to a lian li 011 air and a cooler master ,master liquid 240 cpu cooler, when I sent it back for repair (march 2019)

so my current set up is
lian li 011 air
Vulcan T-Force 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 PC4-24000C16 3000MHz
gigabyte vega 56 8gb
ryzen 2600
coolermaster masterliquid 240 cpu cooler
Gigabyte B450 DDR4 Motherboard
Seagate 2TB 7200RPM Hard Drive

the symptoms now are
when i run benchmarks everything appears ok temps normal and frame rates normal ,no artefacts
but every game I play it crashes to desktop all games appear normal when playing them

sometimes within 1 min
sometimes about 4 hours
but every single game crashes
and can happen no matter what im doing on screen

when I crash ,desktop still works its almost like the graphics card switches off then back on sometimes the game will reappear and I can continue to play it ,other times the game shuts down and i have to reload the game

everything is stock and the pc has never been overclocked

Ive formatted the hard drive twice, installed the graphics card drivers loads of times tried at least 5 different versions

tried stock windows
tried direct x 11 and 12
lowering the graphics settings but it just crashes no matter what I do

anyone any ideas what i can do ?

Associate
OP
ill check the cable for the graphics card im not sure what the PSU is but when I take the back off ill look then
but I think it will be some cheapo one from china :)

Associate
download 'Whocrashed' it may pick up a defective driver, i currently have an issue with an AMD driver using my sons rx470, the screen goes black and turns off, i have to do a full reboot of the PC. This also happens in every game and like you say it could be after a minute or an hour or so.

Associate
OP
its all stock nothing has been overclocked
no ram overclock
no graphics overclock
no processor overclock

and the web site says the PSU is 600W 80Plus Bronze Rated PSU if that helps
but in the next 30 mins ill get that back off and look to see if there is any more info on it

Soldato
This isnt a bad shout. . .

I had this a few months back, even on XMP1 my board at the time just didnt like it, and it would crash pretty much every game. i had to drop it from 3200 to 3166 for it to work.

It's your ram mate.

Did you set it to docp?

If so keep as is but take the frequency down 1 notch. Repeat if needed untill it stops crashing.

I'm assuming you don't have an overclock on your GPU and or CPU.

Also make sure you have latest bios for mobo.

Associate
OP
PSU is all black and nothing is showing as to make or model
the graphics card is plugged in correct and power leads to it are all nice and firmly pushed in

off to bios to check docp and see what i can do

Associate
It's your ram mate.

Did you set it to docp?

If so keep as is but take the frequency down 1 notch. Repeat if needed untill it stops crashing.

I'm assuming you don't have an overclock on your GPU and or CPU.

Also make sure you have latest bios for mobo.

I sorted it by manually dropping the speed, ive just gone small form factor with a better b450 board and it has been rock solid using XMP1.

cheers for the reply

Associate
OP
k I lowered the memory timings and
it appears to have worked but I wont know for sure until later when I can test it more

but the division was crashing the worst I couldn't complete a single mission before today and suddenly change it and I completed my first mission so fingers crossed

thank you very much to everyone who answered

Associate
OP
it hasn't worked so far
im now on my 3rd step down i think its 2800 (not exactly sure )
but it feels more stable

how far do keep going down

Associate
RAM and Ryzen systems can be a whole heap of bovine excrement. My first Ryzen system (X370 MOBO, R7 1700, 16GB@3230MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX) had no end of issues with crashes and the like, but only ever when gaming. Letting the RAM run at 2133MHz sorted the issue.

But why would I buy 3200MHz RAM at a premium to run it at 2133MHz?!?!?! So I went with my current rig (sig)and haven't looked back since!

Associate
Hi could it be this super fetch/systain thing that many seem to have issues with as notice your on HD's which are slower access than Sdd's so with that "ar8ing" around and trying to get into game being too much of it to handle so shuts down
Friends been having hell with it on his pc was reason i thought could be in there?

Associate
OP
when I was looking at the Ryzen everyone said faster memory better so I get a Ryzen with best memory I could afford and now have to reduce it
would have thought reviews would have mentioned this
while you expect a silicon lottery when overclocking you shouldn't expect a silicon lottery just to make things work at stock

p.s I am not complaining about anyone on here or even overclockers but simply amazing that a industry can get away with it
anyway ill keep trying and reducing when i get it stable ill let you know

Associate
OP
I do have a old ssd and i was looking at it a few weeks ago and wondering if i should stick it in but i didn't want to void a warranty or something

Associate
OP
1.35v
im currently at 2133mhz

i know this is going to sound stupid but before the colours looked slightly washed out and suddenly they look like
they now have a depth and shadows and everything is just more sharper

is this normal

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom