Do many of you walk to work?

Associate
Unless you're really unfit can't see why you'd need to shower after a three mile cycle? The fitter you are of course the less of a mess you'll look when you arrive. I just go wipe down any sweat with tissue in the toilet (luckily I do not have particularly smelly BO), talc up downstairs and put on deodorant. Just don't set off to break records riding into work and then to increase fitness levels go all out on the way home.

You do have a small issue with your clothing situation though. I'm lucky I don't have to wear a suit so just take a polo shirt, pants and socks each day in my pannier. I leave my trousers at work rolled up on my chair. As you don't have anywhere to store a weeks worth of clothes I'm not sure what you can do. For those that wish to, where I work they can store their clothes in a dedicated area. One chap drops his clothes off each Sunday as he runs in 10k each way each day, he's very keen and been doing it for years now! Are there no cupboards you could perhaps adapt to store your clothing out of site?

I take you drive this main road, is it a road you'd feel safe cycling along?

Soldato
I'm incredibly lucky right now with my job. I am a Nurse working in the community where my caseload is literally on my doorstep, I wake up at 8.30 and get to first patient at 8.40, I even see patients on my own road. I come home a few times a day to take a ****, get some munch etc

Associate
Used to walk four miles to work each day for an 8am start. All through town, some of it the rough area. Lots of drunks, druggies and ladies of the night (was offered the services of one on one occasion....errrr no thanks!) all hanging around the pedestrianised shopping area waiting for McDonalds to open at 7:30. The rest along busy main roads.

These days I have a 20-min walk, all across parkland except the five mins from my house to the park a couple of mins along a main road to cross from one park to another. Work entrance is right off the pathway in the second one. Much nicer!

Associate
I'd like to cycle but I have to wear a suit and tie at work and there are no shower facilities. Any tips on how to get to work not looking a mess? There's nowhere to store a weeks supply of shirts either.
It's only a three mile journey, but main road the whole way.

I shower before I set off, I am rarely in anything more than a very mild sweat unless I am running late. Just leave a few shirts at work perhaps cycle the majority of the time and use the days you drive / public in to swap your stuff?

A quick wipe with a towel under the arms is fine. I cycle on main roads and its generally all good.

Alternatively back in uni I used to cycle in my shirt and just wore a coat over the top at the time I was around 2 miles from work. If you actually want to, you will easily manage to cycle.

Caporegime
If you actually want to, you will easily manage to cycle.
This is pretty much the rub, right here.

We could cut something like 70% of commuting journeys from cars if people weren't so lazy, or so eager to find pretty poor excuses not to walk or cycle. Imagine that. Imagine that. 70% fewer cars on the roads spewing their poison.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Have to agree with ^

Anything less than 5 miles should be mandatory cycle distance (15-20 mins). 2 miles is easily walking distance too (34 mins).

Soldato
Spoke with my boss today, and he's going to see if there's an area I can leave some shirts. Every inch of space is a prisoner. Now I just need to find a bike to buy!

Caporegime
Walk form bedroom, downstairs to kitchen for breakfast, up-stair to bedroom to dress and then up to the 3rd floor to my office. Although some days I'll just stay in my pajamas, saves a few minutes of my commute.

Soldato
OP
My first day at the new place today, it's in a shared office & whilst the director was showing me around he says "i do need to tell you we will be moving in a month"

So here is me thinking "Oh ####"

Turns out it is even closer so now it's only 1.2 miles!

Soldato
Yes. I walk downstairs to my office. On rare occasions I have to walk to the train station. Before they closed down my local office it was a 8 mile round-trip walk.

Outcome; I'm now an overweight smelly mansplat who needs reminding to shower.

Soldato
The closest I ever worked to home was 1 mile and I'm ashamed to say I drove it, though it was a long time ago and my car was only little and parking was free. Now I'd probably walk it.

Now walking wouldn't be possible as I drive hundreds of miles across the country with a boot full of kit.

Before I could drive I used to cycle 8 miles each way every day, it was hard going the first few weeks but I soon got used to it, not sure I'd do quite as well now, that was 15+ years ago.

Associate
Spoke with my boss today, and he's going to see if there's an area I can leave some shirts. Every inch of space is a prisoner. Now I just need to find a bike to buy!
Awesome, get one of these if you plan to carry a lock on you at all times
http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Kryptonite-Evolution-Lite-Mini-6-D-Lock_70482.htm

Or this one if you can leave it somewhere:

https://www.sigmasport.co.uk/item/Kryptonite/New-York-Standard-Lock-with-FlexFrame-Bracket/1UN8

Don't bother with the cable nonsense you will lose your bike in a week. If you let us know what type of cycling and how much £££ I will give you some ideas of bikes to look at!

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

I'd be willing to bet you have access to a cycle-2-work scheme. Might make your purchase significantly cheaper.

Caporegime
Awesome, good luck with it. As EVH says, enquire about a cycle to work scheme. If your company doesn't have one, see if they're interested in getting one setup :).

Associate
Awesome, good luck with it. As EVH says, enquire about a cycle to work scheme. If your company doesn't have one, see if they're interested in getting one setup :).

This is not a bad idea if you want a brand new bike. I setup my company to use cyclescheme.co.uk and it wasn't difficult I just had to get a bank account number from my finance department I think (was many years ago now). The rest of the details I knew. The scheme isn't as good as it used to be at the start as you don't save on VAT now but you still should save at least 25% on the rrp overall. I will say due to cyclescheme the second hand market has been flooded with bikes and if you're not fussed about brand new and you're willing to look there are bargains to be had out there. There are also dreamers though who want way too much for a second hand bike so beware of those too.

Back
Top Bottom