Do many of you walk to work?

Soldato
My current work is 6 miles each way, I drive it. I have considered cycling it.

An old workplace I would bus and then walk for about 10 minutes. If I had a bike I would have cycled and it which would be about 15mins each way.

Man of Honour
I don't walk because my new job is twenty miles away. But my last job I walked two miles and took the Metro rather than drive 7.5 miles. Partly it was slightly cheaper, but mostly I prefered to. I'd always prefer to be able to walk. The OP's trip sounds a good one - I'd walk rather than drive in his circumstance.

Associate
I'm going to count university in this
Used to get the bus ~3 miles and hated it, constant road works meant it could take anything from 20 minutes to an hour and a half to get to or from lectures
This year I got a flat literally across the road from most of my lectures
I spend longer in the lift than I do walking

I'm now dreading having to commute to work when I graduate

Soldato
just under a mile to work for me, 15 minute walk each way. Could get the bike out but wouldn't be happy leaving a £600 bike there while I was upstairs working.

Get some decent waterproofs for the bad days + walking boots, decent waterproof rucksack and off you go :)

Associate
I don't drive here at all, so just walking to work and back is 6km on a day with one class, or up to about 15km if I have a few classes in different parts of the city.

It's pretty much the only exercise I do, so at least I get to feel a bit healthy by walking around the place :p

Fine just now, bit rubbish in the summer/typhoon seasons, but been doing it so long now that it's just a case of "guess I'll pack a spare shirt then".

Associate
Yup, went from a 90 minute each way car journey to a fifteen minute walk. Huge drop in wages but much better life. Now do private work to recover the loss and still have time to enjoy my life.

I'll never do a long commute again. Life is simply too short to be stuck in a car.

Caporegime
I start a new job next week and it will be the first time ever that I have worked within a 15 mile round commute from home to work and back again.

In fact it is only 2.3 miles to the office, this is part of the reason I decided to up sticks from my current employer as although it is a great company to work for they moved the office about 9 months ago making it a 50 mile round trip, this obviously costs me time & money.

In my mind I don't feel that 2.3 miles is that far, I am thinking this is walking distance in decent weather. It isn't a boring roadside walk either, it takes me down a paved farm track initially for about a mile, then along a canal tow path & then through part of what I think is a nature reserve next to a marina.

Everyone I speak to at my current job, my wife & all my friends think they would walk for a week or so then just give up and take an extra 40 mins in bed as it is just a 3 minute drive down a 60MPH NSL road.

Do any of you guys walk a similar or longer distance to work, how do you find it?

(ps - I can just about manage 27 miles off road on a Mountainbike, but it did nearly kill me last time)
Sounds good to me. Great health benefits. Free. Fun.

Associate
Over that distance cycle, run or walk. Anyone that works under 10 miles from work with cycle-able roads and that has no medical to prevent them should cycle IMO. Sure there'd be a transition period for people to get used to it and their fitness up but with a very basic level of fitness you should do 10miles in max 45mins (very hilly areas maybe a tad longer). You'd do any vehicle you drive over that short distance no favours at all either, it'd never warm up. The nation is becoming lazy which is leading to us having more health issues as well as plumping up far too much!

Caporegime
I cycle or run. Wouldn't get me in a car for anything :).
Over that distance cycle, run or walk. Anyone that works under 10 miles from work with cycle-able roads and that has no medical to prevent them should cycle IMO. Sure there'd be a transition period for people to get used to it and their fitness up but with a very basic level of fitness you should do 10miles in max 45mins (very hilly areas maybe a tad longer). You'd do any vehicle you drive over that short distance no favours at all either, it'd never warm up. The nation is becoming lazy which is leading to us having more health issues as well as plumping up far too much!
A significant portion of commuting journeys are under 5 miles too, which basically means most people are capable of using active travel. What a pity we're so wed to the ICE.

Soldato
Just under 5 mile cycle commute, ~17mins in and ~20mins home (although these days i usually extend my route home to 13+ miles, increasing my hill climbing from ~200 to ~900+ feet).

Back
Top Bottom