Do you always go with the cheapest insurance quote?

Soldato
In the last 8 years i've never once contacted another insurance company to shop around. I let my renewal come through, phone them to tell them no, fabricate a story that I've already had other quotes, they always go away for 5 minutes, come back and match or better the fabricated quote.

This year the renewal was 530. I paid 330

I do exactly the same thing, except after a quick price comparison site check to make sure I'm not completely taking the ****.

Soldato
OP
Always thought mine was plenty cheap so never really did anything about it.

Just gave them a call, knocked a few k miles off the allowance per year, took parents off as named drivers and declared my suspension mods and price has dropped from £515 to £315. Cant argue with that!

Soldato
no, with bmw for e.g. I went with churchill rather than goskippy who was 200 cheaper, simply because go skippy has terrible reviews so I didn't want to risk it.

Caporegime
I avoid Admiral and any of their companies after they saw fit to not take a direct debit despite the money being there and cancelled my policy immediately and told me by letter that took a week to arrive. With Direct Line ATM and happy with their service although not the very cheapest.

Man of Honour
Not exactly, usually the cheapest quote including courtesy car from a reputable insurer, but when prices are close I might get swayed by additional cover e.g. Breakdown cover, legal cover etc. Obviously this is assuming that the levels of primary cover, excess etc are comparable.

Soldato
Not exactly, usually the cheapest quote including courtesy car from a reputable insurer, but when prices are close I might get swayed by additional cover e.g. Breakdown cover, legal cover etc. Obviously this is assuming that the levels of primary cover, excess etc are comparable.
This for me too.

Man of Honour
My renewal this year was £2400 for 3 cars. Expensive and I did got off and pull together various cheaper quotes that would have saved me at best 400 quid. I look at it and think is 400 quid for fully comp cover on not only my cars but anyones elses I might drive (which I often do), fully comp on anyone over 30 who drives any of my cars, international breakdown cover, track day cover, like for like hire car, my own choice of body shop and various other bits I can't recall worth it? I felt it was so went with it. Insurance is one of those things that you only know how good it really is when something goes wrong.

Permabanned
Always thought mine was plenty cheap so never really did anything about it.

Just gave them a call, knocked a few k miles off the allowance per year, took parents off as named drivers and declared my suspension mods and price has dropped from £515 to £315. Cant argue with that!

I neglected to tell them about my 3pts and a previous insurance claim I had two years ago, saved a £100.

I have a feeling that rank dishonesty might return to bite me on the arse..

Soldato
I neglected to tell them about my 3pts and a previous insurance claim I had two years ago, saved a £100.

I have a feeling that rank dishonesty might return to bite me on the arse..

the stance i take is that its not worth giving them any ammunition whatsoever to let them weedle out of a claim if it came to it, you know they will.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Basically you're not insured. You will be royally ****** if you have an accident.
This is misinformation, he is covered as far as the law is concerned and the police would take no action against him. Anyone he hits will also receive their cover.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
He gets in trouble with his insurance company (civilly not legally) and they charge him a premium uplift is probably what would happen.

I am sure others will know this to the letter but i believe the situation is that you would have to be in a position whereby they would have refused your business had you disclosed to be in much trouble with them.

Soldato
Edit: Ignore me

In regards to the thread subject, I'll generally go with the cheapest reputable company I can get a quote for, unless my existing company can get within a few quid when haggling. Housey's example is different but for most of us, it's all much of a muchness.

I usually find myself bouncing between Admiral and Aviva. Last year was a particular win as Admiral gave me a very good premium and so I left Aviva. I have a feeling it's going to be more expensive this year.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Last year was a particular win as Admiral gave me a very good premium and so I left Aviva. I have a feeling it's going to be more expensive this year.

Just to reassure you i just renewed with Aviva and the price was extremely low. (Circa £150/car average over 3 cars for 2 drivers) Also useful is the online system where you can totally customise everything at will to trim the fat and get the price absolutely as low as possible :)

Soldato
Just to reassure you i just renewed with Aviva and the price was extremely low. (Circa £150/car average over 3 cars for 2 drivers) Also useful is the online system where you can totally customise everything at will to trim the fat and get the price absolutely as low as possible :)
Excellent, will see how things fare in August! Last year was exactly the opposite - Aviva wanted not too far shy of double what Admiral ended up charging me!

I do like Aviva's online system!

Back
Top Bottom