do you guys deliberately not take your car to some places?

Soldato
This is why you need a shed.

The Mrs just splashed out on a local £700 Nissan Note for that very reason, as the ideal station/she's wagon. Gonna stick some All Season tyres on and just enjoy it for the winter without a care in the world.

Last edited:
Associate
That's the best thing a having a ghetto car.

Mine is full of sand from beach, dog hair and even has some moss around the windscreen.

I'd hate to have worries about going to the beach or driving through a muddy field camping because my car was fancy

Mud can be washed off, sand can be hoovered out (takes a while :D) Interesting car makes these trips more fun :D

Although that said, I'd not take my 650S up a multistory carpark...

Caporegime
Mud can be washed off, sand can be hoovered out (takes a while :D) Interesting car makes these trips more fun :D

Although that said, I'd not take my 650S up a multistory carpark...

Its all Salty wet kit too. It just takes some anxiety out of it.

The back of the car sometimes looks like a sandpit! :D

Associate
Its all Salty wet kit too. It just takes some anxiety out of it.

The back of the car sometimes looks like a sandpit! :D

To be fair I imagine this is where most peoples experiences will vary - mine is just me and dog, imagine if you throw kids in the mix it gets far messier far quicker :D

For me the tradeoff of drive to beach or wherever (I'm about as far away as you can get in the UK lol) is worth it for the more interesting journey in the fun car :)

Edit: Although that said, I must say one of the best cars I owned was a £200 325i e36 bmw (I know, crazy thinking about that now) which I hooned and gave 0 damns about and it was so liberating - find another car parked over 2 spaces infront of a shop somewhere? Bump up the kerb and park 50% on kerb 50% in the remiaing space :D

Last edited:
Caporegime
To be fair I imagine this is where most peoples experiences will vary - mine is just me and dog, imagine if you throw kids in the mix it gets far messier far quicker :D

For me the tradeoff of drive to beach or wherever (I'm about as far away as you can get in the UK lol) is worth it for the more interesting journey in the fun car :)

I often have a lot of kit in the back (my kayak, wetsuit, damp towels body board etc) or the dog and it's just easier to let the grit like grow! :D

Do plan on a van next spring though

Last edited:
Soldato

Yes but would you park it overnight down some dodgy back street in Blackpool...

Last edited:
Caporegime
Had a campervan broken into in Blackpool when I was a kid. On a dodgy side street too, stole my game gear.

Had to go home as they'd also stolen all the bedding. Good luck OP.

Soldato
I have a 13 year old ford Transit Connect diesel that has seen better days & I couldn't care less if it gets damaged, as long as it starts and gets me and the kitchen sink which is pretty much what I carry around in it these days from A to B. :p I wont take it inside the M25 now because of the ULEZ charge.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Man of Honour
I agree with the principle that anything I own is something that I can be comfortable using.
So our current car is an MPV, my toy car was an MX5, at least until ULEZ killed it.

I apply similar logic to most things I own. I have a nice bike, but it’s setup to allow me to commute on it with panniers.
In the past, had a couple of nice Swiss watches. Just pointless.
My stereo is the most expensive toy I have, but there’s no way I’d consider it reasonable to stop “prying little fingers”. Quite the contrary, I bought speakers too heavy for a toddler to knock over and it simple enough to use they my son was able to use it in AV mode from the age of 4.

“Hangar queens”, just feels like a waste of money that I could be using on something that my family and I DO enjoy

Man of Honour
I don’t worry about vandalism really, but I do worry about clumsy motorists not least when I park up. I do tend to drive around some car parks and drive off without parking. Both my cars are wide so I am doing all I can to not bang a door. I don’t think all motorists are that respectful sadly.

Man of Honour
Don't they park by feel in France though, and not by sight? :p
Yes that used to be a thing. When I went to Paris in the 1990's they really did just park by nudging cars back and forth until they squeezed in. I saw several drivers do it. I doubt they do it nowadays though, due to expensive plastic bumpers.

Soldato
I use the Leaf for most trips that involve leaving the car in a tight car park. It's smaller (narrower) than the Audi and if it does get a few scuffs it's not the end of the world.

The last time I had a brand new car, it had to have 6 body panels replaced 2 years. Was a harsh lesson in caring too much about how 'perfect' your car is. :o

Soldato
Yes that used to be a thing. When I went to Paris in the 1990's they really did just park by nudging cars back and forth until they squeezed in. I saw several drivers do it. I doubt they do it nowadays though, due to expensive plastic bumpers.

They still do it.

Associate
Can’t beat having an old Mad Max car for leaving on train station car parks etc.
I use an old 2007 Focus with rust holes at the bottom of the front wings (covered with gaffer tape and painted over) for parking anywhere I don’t fancy leaving my BMW.

Last edited:
Soldato
Back when I was allowed to drive I practised the dark arts of bangernomics, so it didn't really bother me getting the odd ding on carparks. Although if it got stolen then losing the kit inside, like the sound system for example, would've peed me right off.

Back
Top Bottom