Do you have a Nice Boss or Scrooge Boss?

Associate
Well to add to the joy of working on Christmas day we have just been told that we are not even getting paid double wage like we have every other year, which made it a little easier.
Might be worth you looking up the term "custom and practice" on this...

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employment/Employees/EmploymentContractsAndConditions/DG_10037109

Terms implied by custom and practice
These are specific to an employer or kind of work. They are arrangements that have never been clearly agreed but over time have become part of the contract.

For example, you might get a Christmas bonus every year, or the business might close early on particular days.

If a company practice has become a part of your contract then your employer must stick to it, and cannot normally change it without your agreement.

Worth a shot to see if you can get a sweetner?

Soldato
Scrooge boss here, no bonus', no thank you, no pay rise in 6 years, but at least the company closes between Christmas and new years! Of which we have to use three of our own holiday allowance to cover. Huzzah to living in Stoke on Trent. It'll be different when I finish my masters, means to an end and all that...

Soldato
My bosses can be equally ****ish as they can be your best mates.. So it's swings and roundabouts.

On the Subject of Christmas I shall probably be taking the last working week and the first working week of next year off, they will moan about it as they always do but it matters not. :D

Associate
Scrooge boss here, no bonus', no thank you, no pay rise in 6 years, but at least the company closes between Christmas and new years! Of which we have to use three of our own holiday allowance to cover. Huzzah to living in Stoke on Trent. It'll be different when I finish my masters, means to an end and all that...

Sounds a bit like my boss/workplace.

However last year we did get given a £50 christmas bonus but that only materialised because we had just been told that there would be no pay increase again...for the 3rd year.

Soldato
My boss is great, he gives us random Amazon or Apple gift vouchers out of the blue for good work. I'm travelling to the US on business on Sunday and because I'll be travelling on a weekend he said I can have a day off without submitting it via HR and not counting against my allocated vacation. We can also take mornings or afternoons off and make up the hours another day without any notice, as long as we don't have any urgent work that needs to be done :)
Oh yeah and we all get 100% in our performance reviews which counts towards bonuses.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

My boss is very hit and miss.

Some days he can be friendly and a laugh, whereas he can be the worlds biggest ****. He's usually the latter, so I'm always skeptical when I see him in a good mood.

We get the week off between Christmas and the new year, and usually they're flexible with personal time off.. So can't complain.

Got £50 Tesco voucher last year :)

Soldato
I have an awesome boss. I only work in a weekend temp job while I'm in sixth form, but I'm paid £9/hr, I can work or have time off pretty much whenever I like, and, supposedly, there's a mahoosive christmas bonus (I work in a pet store, and you can imagine how crazy people go over christmas stuff for their pets, so there's a lot more money coming in). Apparently if he's in a bad mood I'll know it, but I haven't seen that yet so :D

Soldato
I have a Scrooge boss. He's the type to use the recession as an excuse to avoid pay increases for the previous four years, yet somehow have enough spare cash floating about to substantially invest in brand new kit (without a loan). Those of us on night shift also had the joy of going from 4on/3off to 5on/2off with no pay increase.

Still, as a multi-millionaire living in Barbados most of the year I doubt it bothers him very much. His son in law has often mentioned he lords it up over there and talks to waiters as though they are scum beneath contempt so i guess that just shows what a nice chap he is.

Having the Mercedes SLS delivered the same day we all received another internal memo about continued wage freezes sums him up really. Then again the poor chap is having to save up for a yacht.

No Christmas bonus, no christmas party (come to think of it, not even a Merry Christmas email).

Staff turnover is high - it seems that every time I go to a job interview I bump into a co-worker in the waiting room.

Soldato
I'd happily take a scrooge boss over my current manager, she's a mega bitch of epic proportions. The type that doesn't care that you've had to spend 30 minutes extra at work getting things done but will castrate you for being 2 minutes late in the morning.

Fortunately I have mostly managed to get myself into her good books, but that's been accomplished largely by just being sycophantic and agreeing with her on everything regardless. I hate it, it's soul-destroying and my life is miserable.

So yeah.

Man of Honour
I get a flat hourly rate. No extra for late hours (I work till 22:30), no extra for working weekends, no extra for working bank holidays, no extra for anything. The only reason I don't have to work Christmas day is because the business is closed (only that one day). The day off I have for Christmas day comes out of my annual holiday entitlement.

Christmas bonus? Yeah, right. We used to get £15 of high street vouchers, wow! But not any more.

But I think I have a good boss. He has no control over wages, anyway. The job isn't bad, either. It's easy work, it pays the bills and I get 33 days a year holiday. I'd like my pay to increase as much as my cost of living rather than being frozen indefinitely, perhaps until minimum wage catches up with it, but I can tolerate some degree of reduction in living standard.

Could be worse.

Soldato
My boss is ok, he has the attention span of a mayfly.
Which is fantastic if you have ****** up because you only have to wait a matter of seconds before he has sidetracked himself on to something else.
But equally its a pain when you want something out of him, like more money or resources.

Back
Top Bottom