Do you have a Nice Boss or Scrooge Boss?

Caporegime
That's nice [FnG]magnolia, the kind of things I'd like my subordinates to say about me (I'm working on that :p).

Edit: Deadbeat's reply made me realise you're probably self-employed, cunning.

I have a Scrooge boss. He's the type to use the recession as an excuse to avoid pay increases for the previous four years, yet somehow have enough spare cash floating about to substantially invest in brand new kit (without a loan). Those of us on night shift also had the joy of going from 4on/3off to 5on/2off with no pay increase.

Still, as a multi-millionaire living in Barbados most of the year I doubt it bothers him very much. His son in law has often mentioned he lords it up over there and talks to waiters as though they are scum beneath contempt so i guess that just shows what a nice chap he is.

Having the Mercedes SLS delivered the same day we all received another internal memo about continued wage freezes sums him up really. Then again the poor chap is having to save up for a yacht.

No Christmas bonus, no christmas party (come to think of it, not even a Merry Christmas email).

Staff turnover is high - it seems that every time I go to a job interview I bump into a co-worker in the waiting room.

I want to be your boss.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Well, I had a "word" with my boss about Christmas and before I could say anything he said yes I will pay you double for Christmas.

What?!? I wonder if the three ghosts visited him during the middle of the day? If he comes back with a giant turkey and slaps it on the desk then we will know :p

Soldato
[FnG]magnolia;20234671 said:
My boss is fiercely intelligent, a great leader and a very decent guy to boot. I've learned a great deal from him and I'm pretty fortunate to work for him.

Either you're self-employed or you left your OcUK username logged in while he was passing :p

My immediate superior is... weird. She's cracked the sink pipe in her lab twice because she discovered that pouring Virkon solution over dry ice gives that B-movie bubbly smoke effect. Last time she did it I walked in on her cackling over the overflowing sink like a Shakespearian witch. She's not got much opportunity to be scroogey or not so, since it's all mandated from higher up and passed down through her, but I'm glad to have her on our side - she tends to stick up for the little guy, as long as it doesn't cause a ruckus. She's a funny kind of grown-up.

Caporegime
Working in a 24/7 365 industry, its hardly the Boss's fault in my case that we work through Christmas, that said, my shift pattern is Monday - Friday, so no worries for me this year.

Having met William Stobart (my ultimate boss) a few times, I can honestly say he's a nice guy and far from a scrooge.

Caporegime
Edit: Deadbeat's reply made me realise you're probably self-employed, cunning.

Either you're self-employed or you left your OcUK username logged in while he was passing :p

No, I'm not my own boss and I meant every word I said. My boss is a mentor to me which is great for personal development but he also does the really important things (in my job at least) whereby he shields me from the CEO, CFO and COO when necessary and doesn't when it isn't.

He's more considered in his work approach than I am, he's certainly brighter than I am and he can talk to anyone at a level that is appropriate to them. I've never met anyone like him him in either my personal or professional life.

Associate
Last year I took 2 weeks extra holidays due to Uni field trips I needed to attend. HR flagged it up and informed me and my boss that it would be unpaid. I had no problem with this.

When it came to payday I realised I had been paid for the extra 2 weeks off as if I had worked them. My boss decided I had worked pretty hard for him the rest of the year and authorised paid absence for me :)

Christmas is our busiest time of year however so I usually work a bunch of overtime and get Christmas day off only. I knew this when I signed up so dont have a problem with it.

Man of Honour
My director's pretty good actually - but then again he shares a lot of the financial information with me and my team (and often am involved anyway). To be honest, with the economy being as it is, and with us trying to be as lean as possible and save/generate money frivolous spending is really anti our ethos. However, he generously (out of his own pay) organised a Christmas meal for us. :)

I've got Christmas off - but I always try to have those days between Christmas and NY off. :)

Associate
My boss is pretty awesome, she is very supportive, and great at encouraging us as she always has lots of energy and works really hard.
She likes treating us too, whether buying us a bottle of champagne or taking us out to lunch :)

Soldato
My immediate team leader is awesome and we have been friends for years now. I'm not going to comment further :).

Banging your boss, awesome! :p

My boss is a nice bloke, very down to earth, is direct when he needs to be, but informal when he's able too. I have learnt a lot from him!

Back
Top Bottom