Do you keep on top of your domestic chores?

Man of Honour
We have a cleaner, well it is just my partners Mother. She does 3 hours a week on a Friday. We pay her £30 which I think is on the low side but she seemed really pleased with that. Well worth the money and it's nice to have a clean and tidy home every weekend.

Soldato
I'm OK with putting washing on and hanging up to dry, never iron though, I have no energy for that. Vacuuming I'll only do once every 1 or 2 months and dust only when it becomes a thick layer.

Soldato
living on my own its pretty easy only really wear tshirts and dont own an iron ,very little washing up ,,white wooden floors to sweep and polish ,do tend to put things off ,then get earache from the ex when she calls ,ie bath a little grotty

Soldato
Seems excessive. We typically do two washes a week for a family of 4. Do you sweat a lot? How often are your changing your towels? Normally they can be used for a week as long as you allow them to properly dry/air.

Soldato
We have a cleaner, well it is just my partners Mother. She does 3 hours a week on a Friday. We pay her £30 which I think is on the low side but she seemed really pleased with that. Well worth the money and it's nice to have a clean and tidy home every weekend.

Same here, we have my mother in law come weekly to clean. It works because she does a much better job than most commercial cleaners we've tried in the past and its good for my wife to see her mum regularly.

Soldato
I'm OK with putting washing on and hanging up to dry, never iron though, I have no energy for that. Vacuuming I'll only do once every 1 or 2 months and dust only when it becomes a thick layer.
Pretty much this. Wash at the weekend like clockwork so work clothes are ready. I do basic hoovering more often (kitchen/halls/stairs) but my rooms are hard to hoover thoroughly. And then there's the STUFF...
I don't mind clothes washing, or vacuuming, but I find dusting tedious. Picking stuff up, cleaning it, and putting it back. First world problems right here!
I have far too much stuff. Woodwork/DIY tools, electronics tools and components, and PC stuff. It all gets dusty. I'd like to move to a house with less crevices, floorboards etc, but I'm afraid the dust will come with me. I might throw it all away and start again, tidier :(

Associate
I do the washing once a week and it's usually 2 loads on a Sunday. At least 80% is my wife's.

I do all the household chores and actually quite enjoy it when I get into it. The hoovering and bathroom cleaning is done once a month (should be fortnightly really), the washing up is done every couple of days, any random bits as and when.

I think if I lived on my own then I'd definitely take the little and often approach.

As my wife now has a bun in the oven however, I think any sort of order and routine is about to go out the window. I should probably cherish these final few months of lazyness.

Associate
General chores are easy it is all the diy or gardening stuff that really sucks up the hours.

I am just grateful i can watch something while i iron as there is six of us in my household and we would never wear anything more than once without washing it.

Associate
I like to try and stay on top of it as much as possible. My kitchen gets a light cleaning every night, surfaces sprayed with cleaner and the washing up gets done. Then a deep clean every now and again.

Bathroom gets a clean once a week.

I have laminate accross my flat so I will sweep up every couple of days for dirt and hoover my rugs. I dust whenever I notice dust, but I dont have many 'surfaces' (no shelves or anything), I do need to get into a habit of dusting more though.

Once a week I will get a squeegee mop thing to clean the floors.

I do the washing once a week.

Caporegime
I must ask this mother in law thing is that really normal?
Do you not feel slightly degraded/embarrassed by this?
Yeah I know I sometimes play the game too, do a half assed job at say washing up meaning she will moan and do the next 3 times but the thought of mother in law snooping around dusting and vacuuming... I find it disturbing. If you cope that's fine

Last edited:
Soldato
How many kg can your washing machine take OP? Buy one with a bigger drum. Also you need to get to the bottom of that washing basket and keep on top of it. Have you looked at a combined washer dryer?

Charity shop any clothes you haven't worn in 18 months, putting stuff away is much easier when you have your clothes organised and plenty space to easily hang and place everything. Usually when buying new clothes it's a one out one in policy for me to keep on top of it.

Soldato
Yeah my mum offered now she's retired, but I think I'd rather not have her going around my house looking at all our stuff. I doubt she'd find anything perturbing, but it would still seem weird to me.

We don't clean the house terribly often. It's normally relatively tidy, and somewhat clean, but it could do with being cleaner. The hoovering is awful because we have these thick carpets and a hoover that can't cope with them. Downstairs with wooden floors and tiles is alright though.

I don't know why people are so horrified by washing their clothes. I pretty much do all the clothes, and I find it quite relaxing. Once I finally psych myself up to doing the ironing I find that quite therapeutic. I do 1 wash for underwear and towels, probably one dark, and one whites. Maybe do the bedding every fortnight so that's another 1/2 dependent on when the whites are being done.

Man of Honour
Thanks to work I naturally wake up at 0530, even at weekends, so I get up before my girlfriend and spend a couple of hours tidying the house and sorting my washing out. As soon as it's not antisocial I finish by doing the hoovering.

I am generally away 3-5 days every week, so usually by the time I get home she has trashed the house leaving cups, plates, food, clothes & makeup stuff everywhere - giving me something to do the next Saturday/Sunday morning !

I find being up and effective earlier makes the days feel much longer, by the time most people are falling out of bed everything is tidy and I can enjoy breakfast and get started on enjoying my weekend !

Back
Top Bottom