Do you know anyone on the autistic spectrum?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
the GF's son has this, he is on the good end of the scale

some indications are

1) Dark rings round the eyes
2) does not like looking at you when they talk to you
3) you MUST get their attantion before talking of they do not hear you
4) very mathodical, even when late for work they are unable to rush
5) they find it very hard to pick up on social queues
6) (i think this is a common trait) talking about themselves in the 3rd person, "this arm hurts", "im my mind I think", "that eye is sore"
7) poor verbal and writen skills

however they are better at some stuff if they focus on it...

Permabanned
Long story but to sum it up:

1. Bullied out of school into a depression, few months later I got diagnosed with Aspergers.

2. House bound for nearly 3 years(still) with agoraphobia (Not been outside in 3 years, literally)

3. Missed out on GCSE's

4. Lost all contact with outside world, except for the internet

5. Lost all confidence in myself and future

6. Few things then happened that got me into web design, now on a two year web design course that could get me an apprenticeship when I'm a little older. (ALL paid for by my kind mother, who's losing her job soon)

7. Education department don't do jack s***, Zero help from anybody.

-Don't mean to jack the thread. :p

Also vonhelmet, I hear it all the time, people don't want aspies working for them. It's not the case all the time, but I hear a lot of stories from my mother as she talks to people in the same situation. - Moose

Mate in all likelihood there is nothing wrong with you. Not demeaning your trials and tribulations, but if you analyse your situation, it was the bullying that has messed up your life and has lead to the situation you are in.

You are obviously still young. Take the challenge of going back to school, get your GCSE's and A-Levels. The secret to everything is not to get down. When you first start GCSE's you are probably going to find it HARD as hell. In a few years you will have settled more as a person, Lord knows I have. Looking back at it now, I was a ****ed up child with a ****ed upbringing. Now I can start to see light at the end of the tunnel. And I'll take a bet you are not as dysfunctional as me :p

Caporegime
Also vonhelmet, I hear it all the time, people don't want aspies working for them. It's not the case all the time, but I hear a lot of stories from my mother as she talks to people in the same situation. - Moose

Well, they're not legally allowed to discriminate on those grounds, so... if you feel you're being discriminated against, call a lawyer.

Permabanned
OP

1. Bullied out of school into a depression, few months later I got diagnosed with Aspergers.

2. House bound for nearly 3 years(still) with agoraphobia (Not been outside in 3 years, literally)

3. Missed out on GCSE's

5. Lost all confidence in myself and future

6. Few things then happened that got me into web design, now on a two year web design course that could get me an apprenticeship when I'm a little older. (ALL paid for by my kind mother, who's losing her job soon)

7. Education department don't do jack s***, Zero help from anybody.

-Don't mean to jack the thread. :p

Very similar to me.

You can't tell much from written communication, but is your suffering very bad?

Caporegime
i probably have aspergers im fighting with my doctor to get diagnosed but it costs a lot of money and i need to try and get a grant of £2000 or something ridiculous.

it should have been picked up when i was a child but it never was which amazes my doctor.

basicly i stoped attending school around the age of 15 , ive never had many friends and i find it hard to talk to people , in the real world i wouldnt say i really have any friends at all, i have been married for around 10years we are seperated but still living together while i fight for diagnosis and theres loads of stuff in the last 10 years i can use as examples which my soon to be ex wife is backing me up on.

the doctor agrees something definetly needs to be done but seeing as it costs a lot of money to diagnose an adult its going to be one hell of a fight.

btw i have no empathy for others i dont understand how people are feeling and as someone said above social queues go way over my head, its hard not to take things literally.

doctor is amazed i managed to get married somehow :O although we did meet on the internet lol.

i did love her i can feel love etc its just picking up on moods and understanding how people feel i cant do.

even when i was around 15 and i had people i could hang around with i would rather stay in the house, sometimes i would stay in for months on end and just avoid social contact all together, ive never felt like ive needed to talk to people , i dont really care about other peoples lives.

im content enough in my self and i rarely feel down so i just get on with it , you do however have to force yourself to get out and about or you will just turn into a total recluse

Soldato

3. Missed out on GCSE's

most of what you list are not symptoms,

doctors never bother to tell people but the symptoms can be made worse by your diet...

for a few days cut out all glutin and casien from your diet and see if you feel any different.. this products are in BLOODY EVERYTHING so read the labels carefully

Soldato
Mate in all likelihood there is nothing wrong with you. Not demeaning your trials and tribulations, but if you analyse your situation, it was the bullying that has messed up your life and has lead to the situation you are in.

You are obviously still young. Take the challenge of going back to school, get your GCSE's and A-Levels. The secret to everything is not to get down. When you first start GCSE's you are probably going to find it HARD as hell. In a few years you will have settled more as a person, Lord knows I have. Looking back at it now, I was a ****ed up child with a ****ed upbringing. Now I can start to see light at the end of the tunnel. And I'll take a bet you are not as dysfunctional as me :p

He said he has asperger's mate. So can't really say in all likelihood there's nothing wrong with him. Good luck getting the help you need mate especially in the UK where they are now trying to have this illness added to the mental health act (in Scotland) ie so they can lock you up without reason...

Associate
He said he has asperger's mate. So can't really say in all likelihood there's nothing wrong with him. Good luck getting the help you need mate especially in the UK where they are now trying to have this illness added to the mental health act (in Scotland) ie so they can lock you up without reason...

They don't "lock up" people with mental health illness anymore.

Edit: Also, I'd like to add, that the NHS seem pretty reluctant to diagnose people with autism nowadays, at least that seems to be the case where I live. Only seem to be extreme cases where it's pretty much evident without even testing for it, where they would diagnose it, and even then they try very hard to keep these people intergrated in society.

Last edited:
Soldato
He said he has asperger's mate. So can't really say in all likelihood there's nothing wrong with him. ...

you either have or do not have AIDS

however asperges can (at one end of the scale) turn you into a cripple unable to communicate or learn, or at the other end be so mild you never know or suspect anything,

there are 'common' symptoms however its possible to have none or all of them,

also as it can be affected (in some people) by diet one day you can be totally boggled the next totally fine

Caporegime
you either have or do not have AIDS

however asperges can (at one end of the scale) turn you into a cripple unable to communicate or learn, or at the other end be so mild you never know or suspect anything,

there are 'common' symptoms however its possible to have none or all of them,

also as it can be affected (in some people) by diet one day you can be totally boggled the next totally fine

i suspect you dont understand what aspergers syndrome is if you really believe this its how your mind is wired and how you think it is not to do with diets and it can not turn you into "a cripple unable to communicate or learn"

aspergers is part of the autistic spectrum it does not make you a retard and people with aspergers are generally above average inteligent they are more than capable of learning

Why are you fighting with someone who is clinically more capable than you of making a judgement?

Serious question, not being an arse.
im not fighting against my doctor i mean he is fighting with me to try and get a referal for diagnosis hes in contact with an adult pyschologist who agrees something needs to be done its just get the people i need to see to listen which isnt easy unless you have £2000

Last edited:
Permabanned

I completely reject that sorry. The guy I was talking to has a better level of English than I do, clearly saw the issues and comes across as a decent person to me.

In that respect I cannot see why being labelled with something should automatically mean the worst.

MissileMoose, YOU are in control of YOUR life. We all have our limitations (I'm never going to pull a 10/10 haha), but I think you'd be surprised how above the average you probably are.

:)

Soldato
****** ANYONE who has / thinks they have asperger's should read up on DIET (things to avoid) ... ******

its not (or at least in my experience) something the doctors tell you about (i dont know why)

Soldato
i suspect you dont understand what aspergers syndrome is if you really believe this its how your mind is wired and how you think it is not to do with diets and it can not turn you into "a cripple unable to communicate or learn"

aspergers is part of the autistic spectrum it does not make you a retard and people with aspergers are generally above average inteligent they are more than capable of learning

I never said it does make you a retard, it can at one end of the spectrum have no visable effects or at the otehr completly mess up someones mind so much they would not be able to look after themselves... (i meant mentally crippled)

its possibly to technically have it but never know...

Associate
****** ANYONE who has / thinks they have asperger's should read up on DIET (things to avoid) ... ******

its not (or at least in my experience) something the doctors tell you about (i dont know why)

Probably because their is no conclusive evidence to support this.

Soldato
Probably because their is no conclusive evidence to support this.

considering it costs nothing, there are no possible side effects its within every ones capabilities and takes no realy effort its not really something to ignore and in all likleyhood avoliding these products would give you a healthier diet there is no reason not to try.... you also know within a few days weather it is going to make any difference..

also loads of people are intolerant to the those products and would benefit from avoiding them...

I don't now weather there is a direct link but loads of poeple write about it, I know two brothers who if they eat too much of the wrong products say if 'boggles their minds' (they are both on the spectrum) and our lad used to go very odd if he had too much...

no risk / no effort / no cost + possible benefit = give it a try...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom