Do you lie when asked what your current salary is in an interview?

Soldato
Its always a good idea to include the pension entitlement to boost it eg mine would then be £2k per year more than the joke I am on now. That's minus a few hundred rubles a month from Putin (*looks around for Evole)

Caporegime
I'm tempted to... But I wonder if they would find out. :(

Trying to move into another role similar to my current one at present, not too worried if the salary is the same as I currently get, but id like a few K more just so that I feel like I'm moving upwards as well as sideways!

Caporegime
I wouldn't lie about it, but I'd try to avoid telling them what it was and steer the conversation towards what I am after from the role in question.

If they really pushed the issue then I'd give them a number that sounded good and call it 'total compensation' or whatever, assigning a value to things like work from home opportunities, benefits, pension contributions etc. The salary figure alone doesn't really cover it any more in a way that enables meaningful comparisons to be made.

Soldato
Prospective Boss :- (on the phone) Hi I've interviewed the OP about a job he's applied for. Whats he like?

Current Boss :- Yes, the OP is a good worker, honest, gets on well with others. We'll be sad to see him leave.

Prospective Boss :- He said you were paying him £50k a year.....

Current Boss :- What?!?!?! He's only getting paid £25k a year....

Caporegime

^ Thats precisely my worry.

And the salary not being an accurate representation is another worry of mine. I've mentioned it on here before so don't see the harm in doing so again, but I'm 21 and my base salary is £19K, but I quite often work at customer site placements and get bonuses, mileage allowance, overtime, etc~, and after taking out my expenses it works out as closer to £28K than £19K...

So if asked in interview, what do I say..?? Do I blurt all that out? Or do I say something like "My total take-home pay is in the region of £28K when taking into account extra pay for customer site work and business allowances" and not mention my 'actual salary'?

Last edited:
Soldato
Prospective Boss :- (on the phone) Hi I've interviewed the OP about a job he's applied for. Whats he like?

Current Boss :- Yes, the OP is a good worker, honest, gets on well with others. We'll be sad to see him leave.

God help the boss that tells somebody outside the organisation my salary.

Permabanned
OP

I would not lie to that extent! However, ive had this question pop up a few times about my pay. I am currently paid around £12 something p/h but this goes from an agency to an umbrella company (who pay my taxes) and they take a decent cut.

What I'm on ph should be equivilent to above £20,000 i believe, but when all the fees are taken out my wage its a lot less. Whats worse is the cut that they take doesnt come as a deduction or anything on my payslip. This umbrella company takes off around £30 per week, and so it appears i get a lot less.

Caporegime

And the salary not being an accurate representation is another worry of mine. I've mentioned it on here before so don't see the harm in doing so again, but I'm 21 and my base salary is £19K, but I quite often work at customer site placements and get bonuses, mileage allowance, overtime, etc~, and after taking out my expenses it works out as closer to £28K than £19K...

So if asked in interview, what do I say..?? Do I blurt all that out? Or do I say something like "My total take-home pay is in the region of £28K when taking into account extra pay for customer site work and business allowances" and not mention my 'actual salary'?

Well then you're used to earning £28k a year so...

I have never heard of a reference getting called before an offer is made and a discussion being had about salary with the previous employer. I wouldn't worry about it.

Soldato

And the salary not being an accurate representation is another worry of mine. I've mentioned it on here before so don't see the harm in doing so again, but I'm 21 and my base salary is £19K, but I quite often work at customer site placements and get bonuses, mileage allowance, overtime, etc~, and after taking out my expenses it works out as closer to £29K than £19K...

So if asked in interview, what do I say..?? :p

If you would like to discuss further we can do so once you offer me the job.

Soldato

I don't think that would happen unless you've told them a figure so far out of reach, they have to ask. For example, if you tell them you're on £50k a year for a job that would only pay £25k a year :p

Man of Honour
Tell them what you are looking for, not what you earn as that is frankly irrelevant. I've given lots of references over the years and I can only think of 2 cases where I was asked to confirm a salary and on both occasions I told them such information is confidential. I have never asked a referee to confirm a potential employees earnings, nor would I ever. I know what I will pay for the right people, so what they earn today is really just a negotiation tactic to low ball them.

Caporegime
Well then you're used to earning £28k a year so...

That is true, but in the new role I would be travelling 1 hour/50 miles a day as opposed to 3.5 hours/130 miles a day, which is a major appeal, and one which I'd be willing to sacrifice a few £K for.

I guess I just need a figure in my head... I'll work on it. :)

Last edited:
Man of Honour
That is true, but in the new role I would be travelling 1 hour/50 miles a day as opposed to 4 hours/130 miles a day, which is a major appeal, and one which I'd be willing to sacrifice a few £K for.

I guess I just need a figure in my head... I'll work on it. :)

Wrong approach. You want to earn more and live closer, right approach.

Back
Top Bottom