Do you lie when asked what your current salary is in an interview?

RSR

RSR

Soldato
No need to give it out.

Simply say, I am not able (or prepared) to disclose that but it is at the current market rate and if you were to offer me the role, I would hope your offer will be in line with my experience and value I will bring to your company.

That way, if they want you they will offer you something decent. If they undervalue you or they low ball then you will very quickly see what they will be like to work for. You can always then go back seeking more.

It's a great test.

The key to a successful negotiation on salary/pay rises/job is to hold all the cards, even if your ace if to walk away or find a new job.

This is soo very true, as I've made the mistake in the past and offered that minimum amount.

I'll need to brush up on all this as I'm looked to move on from my current place now.

Associate
For my last 2 jobs at the interview i have managed this question by saying something along the lines of this, "I earn X plus a yearly bonus of 10% and overtime. I am very comfortably in my current position, with my feet firmly under the table" I usually round up X to the nearest K, this then means they go away and offer me a good overall salary. Only problem is with my current job i don't get a bonus, so won't be able to use this again as i am sure i they would ask.
So to answer the question yes i would, but i would only round it up to the nearest K and hope for the best

Soldato
For some reason I always believed the employer included your salary in a reference. At EVERY interview, and as a contractor there have been many, I've been asked what my rate\salary is and I've always given the real figure.

However after taking advice from this thread I've managed to get myself a nice 20% salary increase for my next perm role :)

Soldato
This x1000, if they are demanding your salary it suggests they just want to drive you down to the minimum amount they think you'll accept instead of paying you what you are worth based on your skills, experience and contribution to the business. Such an employer is not going to get you anywhere in the long run.

This.

Biggest pay increases will be when moving employers. Have a minimum amount in mind and for the love of god if you give a range don't be surprised when the offer is towards the bottom end.

Quite a lot of people I've interviewed don't say the salary they're looking for with any confidence or conviction. If you interview well, have the skills and know your worth there's no reason you can't command your expectation, if it's not wildly unrealistic.

Also you don't have to give your new employer your P45, if you were worried this would trip you up. The 'Starter Checklist' formerly the P46 (for an employee without a P45) will suffice.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom