Do you like your job?

Associate
Currently offshore in the Gulf of Mexico, Hydrographic Surveyor. Only been in this line of work for 1 year and enjoying it so far, get to see some interesting parts of the world to boot. It does seem that everyone around me is on twice my wage though! Work with many surveyors Khan?

Soldato
OP
Yup, we have quite a few of them, but these aren't hyrdographic surveyors, we mainly just have online/offline to record what were doing with the ROVs, Vessels and what we install and remove from the seabed.

Currently have UTEC on board but I have worked with guys from NCB, NCS and a few in house guys.

KaHn

Soldato
No I hate it. Dead mans shift of 14:00-22:30.

I guess that's order picking for you.

That's a short shift for me. I start at either 14:00 till midnight (early week) then 16:00 till 03:00 when the weekend begins.

Sometimes it is 7 days a week. I get no breaks and have to eat at my desk whilst answering calls that are overlapping calls.

Recently I have been feeling the symptoms of a stomach ulcer returning. Think it is getting too much.

Just wish I could find something else.

Soldato
I have my own consultancy. Sometimes the job is very cushy, borderline a joke. Other times it is very pressured and I have to just keep my head down and take flak for things which are not my fault, or that I was instructed to do.

The best bit: good money and feeling appreciated for my work.
The worst bit: chasing late invoice payments, contract negotiations with unscrupulus clients, smallprint.

Associate
Got pals working for UTEC, seem to be doing well. My work is mostly near shore stuff in tiny uncomfortable boats, but on a BP job now so being taken care of... also get the statutory 3 days break out here which is a bit of a bonus. Been out in the GOM much?

Associate
Currently offshore in the Gulf of Mexico, Hydrographic Surveyor. Only been in this line of work for 1 year and enjoying it so far, get to see some interesting parts of the world to boot. It does seem that everyone around me is on twice my wage though! Work with many surveyors Khan?

Depending on prior experience your starting salary will probably be pretty low. You can make a decent wage but you'll probably never beat, for example, the Norwegian ROV crew rates and there are many non technical roles offshore that will make more. Once your experience/skills increase you can get good base salary from a company or go freelance.

Yup, we have quite a few of them, but these aren't hyrdographic surveyors, we mainly just have online/offline to record what were doing with the ROVs, Vessels and what we install and remove from the seabed.

Currently have UTEC on board but I have worked with guys from NCB, NCS and a few in house guys.

KaHn

Mostly it's 'offshore surveyor', 'data processor'. Many with a hydrographic background/knowledge but end up doing what oil&gas demands; endless cable lay, multibeam processing, jumper metrologies etc ...

Soldato
OP
Mostly it's 'offshore surveyor', 'data processor'. Many with a hydrographic background/knowledge but end up doing what oil&gas demands; endless cable lay, multibeam processing, jumper metrologies etc ...

Yup, all the crap we stick down there you tell others where it is :)

KaHn

Soldato
OP
Got pals working for UTEC, seem to be doing well. My work is mostly near shore stuff in tiny uncomfortable boats, but on a BP job now so being taken care of... also get the statutory 3 days break out here which is a bit of a bonus. Been out in the GOM much?

For one day (vessel visit) but it was in a Pemex field which was a joke.

KaHn

Associate
Aye, much more focused on these kinds of boats. At the moment I'm on as multi beam processor, stress free if not a little boring. Usually have a combined navigator/acquisition and processor role so learning fast, will hope to go freelance within the next few years or failing that, join a more O&Get orientated firm for better time in lieu - currently only get my weekends back, rest of the time is spent in the office killing dots.

Soldato
Despite having a group of nice colleagues (even my TL.) I detest my job and the people who run the business. sat at a desk, 2nd line support, the same boring **** day in day out, no learning, no progression, no money to "LIVE". But its a temporary solution, I have a plan to do something I want, I am just stuck here at nearly minimum wage for a while.

believe me if I was stuck in this job, suicide would be preferable to a lifetime of £800 per month.

Associate
For me it largely depends on the project manager, I can generally work well with the team that I am in regardless of who it is. But give me a micro manager and I struggle to find any joy in work.

At the minute we have a perfect storm of 3 micro mangers all trying to keep tabs on each other which is making life fairly grim. However the work itself is interesting once I get round to doing any after giving the same update 3 times.

Soldato
Work for a very small company... even smaller as they had to let 3 people go not long ago!

The job itself is not bad, it's not difficult and I can self regulate, so whatever I don't do one day I can usually catch up the next. There is no pressure and for a job to forget about as soon as you walk out of the door it's fine.
The pay is not the greatest and there is very little chance of ever moving up/being promoted or anything.
Having worked here for 13 years it's a bit of a rut have got myself into now as there is little that will change and I don't want to be here another 13 years!

Hoping to be starting a new job in the not too distant future (possibly in the new year) something totally different (production technician) so will be getting trained up, will be a bit of a shock I imagine but hopefully will be a pleasant one and will hopefully be better for the future. It will no doubt be a bit daunting as I've been where I am now pretty much since school :p

Soldato
I don't particularly like my job as it stands at present, but over the next couple of years it'll change into something I'm much more comfortable/happy with due to the sizable / lengthy projects we work on.

I'm hardly sitting hating every minute either mind you, it still has its challenging days and it's a good place to work.

Soldato
The vast majority of people have no choice in the matter - go to whatever work you're lucky enough to get, get worked to the bone, or lose everything. I don't understand this fantasy world of 'loving your job' you guys are talking about. Do you think you may have brainwashed yourselves 'happy' in the face of blatant economic failure and grim realities for millions in the age of austerity?

Soldato
The vast majority of people have no choice in the matter - go to whatever work you're lucky enough to get, get worked to the bone, or lose everything. I don't understand this fantasy world of 'loving your job' you guys are talking about. Do you think you may have brainwashed yourselves 'happy' in the face of blatant economic failure and grim realities for millions in the age of austerity?

*pours stiff drink*

Soldato
OP

Economic failure? I really don't think the money I get or the opportunities I get on a daily basis equate to failure, if that's your take on how you work then so be it but its not that for everyone.

KaHn

Back
Top Bottom