Do you like your job?

Soldato
Sounds like a sweeeet deal you've got there. How long did it take you on that particular career path to land that job? Mind telling a bit more?

4 years Honours Degree in Physics, 6 Years experience as MWD, then landed this job. So about a decade all told to get here from working in a chicken factory.

If I could do it again, I would go a different way though. My mate makes FAR more coin than me, has a much better pension set-up, and has a nice 2 on 3 off rotation. Control Room Operator is what he does, and it's a very nice gig. And he doesn't have a degree, started as apprentice. I just can't afford the hit to go back and retrain while I have a big mortgage and young family.

Soldato
If you're only working 50 days a year surely you have lots of time to retrain? Or is it all 'on the job' training?

Maybe work 150 days and pay the mortgage off quicker?

Soldato
If you're only working 50 days a year surely you have lots of time to retrain? Or is it all 'on the job' training?

Maybe work 150 days and pay the mortgage off quicker?

Doesn't work like that. I HAVE to be available to go at a moments notice. So I can't go to college or anything full time to do a course. I could go OU for a course, but it is really on the job training for the role I would go do. So I simply couldn't do it.

As for the work extra days, I can only do the work there is out there. I can't make them drill more wells, so I can only work what they send me. I would love to do 150 days and get my mortgage paid off quicker. Then I'll get my DBS quicker, but as it is, I work what I work.

Anyway, I'm not really complaining. Around 300 days a year spent at home, enough money to buy nice things as well as survive. And a job I actually like. What more can you ask for?

Soldato
Yeah, I did think that it wouldn't be as easy as simply working more days :) it does sound like a great position to be in.

Caporegime
My line of work is subsea engineering design, this offshore malarkey I do is for ****'s and giggles.

If you're electrical/mechanical look at becoming a lay tech, seems to be a need for loads of them!

KaHn

Ahh, never knew what you actually done. Just that it was offshore work.

Two guys recently have left to do electrical work offshore, both for the same company and allegedly on 56k a year. Moving upwards of 75k, after initial training etc.

It's tempting, but then life is also very easy at the moment...

Soldato
OP
Ahh, never knew what you actually done. Just that it was offshore work.

Two guys recently have left to do electrical work offshore, both for the same company and allegedly on 56k a year. Moving upwards of 75k, after initial training etc.

It's tempting, but then life is also very easy at the moment...

Yeah, currently technical representative for BP...... which is why I'm offshore now, to make sure our contractors are performing inline with BP's interests from a technical side.

If you are on a decent contract its easy to earn well over that, you'll probably be limited to the number of days offshore (180 or something) in the contract but if you go over that (quite easy to do if youre good) you get paid double.

Get to travel the world as well, its not all about the north sea, Brazil is big at the moment with work!

KaHn

Man of Honour
No I hate it. Dead mans shift of 14:00-22:30.

I guess that's order picking for you.

Late shifts can be surprisingly soul destroying - I did a week of 4pm starts recently was much more of a drag than I'd expected. Glad I don't normally do those.

Soldato
I love my job as a software developer. Hideously well paid, lots of autonomy. I also line manage about 15 other devs and qa engineers, but I find that part of it pretty easy.

I wanted to write software for a living since I was about 9 when I started out on my zx81.

Not offshore.

:)

Soldato
It's ok, mainly because it's a 5 minute walk form where I live, and I like most of my colleagues. However, I'm going for a new career; we'll see if that happens. If it does, I'm sure i'd prefer it to my current job

Soldato
I like my job well enough and I like the people I work with. It could be better but it could also be a lot worse. I used to prefer my old job for the most part, but I was made redundant when the company basically had to get rid of half the employees just to stay in business.

There is a bit of a story to where I am today and why, if you wanted a simple answer to the thread question read no further, if you want to hear some of the story, read on;

-----

I used to be a systems administrator ...think BOFH (some of you will know it some wont) and the PFY. I was the PFY and I got chopped and spent months unemployed.

Well the job I have now actually pays me less and would by most in the industry be considered a step down, I work in support ...again (where many start), although it's actually 'mostly' server support for a particular set of customers, so you're talking virtualised environments some using Citrix XenApp etc. I also do a lot of Linux server support, proper Linux as in ...there is no GUI.

So not quite where I started in IT, which was tier 1 desktop support for people that didn't know one end of a mouse from the other ...but still it is support and that means I have to deal with a lot of customers and can't be like the BOFH or the PFY anymore ...I would lose my job if I was. Oh well it had to end sometime eh.

However, despite getting kicked down the ladder a bit and thrown a smaller chunk of change I do actually have far, far better prospects within this company, as it's an IT company there are places for me to go ...the only place I had to go before was the BOFH's job and it didn't look like he wasn't going anywhere anytime soon. Now there are possibilities without having to leave ...tech consultancy or the department that looks after our hosted environments, systems and network architecture etc.

So ...it's all ok I think, I wish I was paid more though and I feel that I should be given what I do and the knowledge that I have to offer, but it could be a lot worse. After having to go into a joke centre for months and sending CV after CV off for them to seemingly vanish into the void ...I really feel lucky in this world to have what I have ...not hard done by.

Life isn't so bad really, I have a job that I'm ok with and I don't need to worry about whether I will get paid next month, which was becoming a concern where I used to work to be fair, as it happened they just let me go rather than get into the mess of trying to keep me but not being able to pay me, I have heard that’s what happened to my BOFH.

One week a month though I do have to work late, as in finish at 21:00 ...this is a drag and can be a real pain the social/family life at times ...but I remind myself that it's nice and quiet so I get a chance to do various things I often don't during the hustle and bustle of the day. Especially as we operate a tiered support system and I will often get asked for support by the helpdesk tech guys or have to take escalations from them, this doesn't happen when I work late as they do not. Also I get paid 50% more for all the time worked after office hours ...so again, not so bad.

I do miss the shenanigans of the old days though ...and the cattle prods ...oh I miss the cattle prods. I can't do that anymore.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom