Do you run an AdBlocker?

Soldato
I've tried to avoid running an AdBlocker as websites need to pay for their hosting but i'm starting to get really annoyed at the ridiculous amount of 3rd party links that need to load before you can even scroll the webpage.

It's pretty obvious that a lot of websites don't care about user experience.

Soldato
Local newspapers are the worst. I hate ads that autoplay or that cover content. As you say, many just freeze your browser so I just use Brave browser now or ublock origin on others.

Ads can be a vector for malware anyway, many sites have no control over what is shown.

Soldato
Yes because once they started pop-ups, auto-playing sound and other intrusive BS the line was well and truly crossed. I whitelist a few sites but in most cases if given a choice between not seeing the content and having to put up with ads, I go elsewhere.

Soldato
I've tried to avoid running an AdBlocker as websites need to pay for their hosting but i'm starting to get really annoyed at the ridiculous amount of 3rd party links that need to load before you can even scroll the webpage.

It's pretty obvious that a lot of websites don't care about user experience.

Just as an experiment, I tried running with no ad blocker for a while.

The result was an almost unusable internet.

So much crap, such a long time to load pages etc.

The sad thing is, like commercial TV, I agree with the premise of ad supported services. But there is such a thing as killing the Goose that laid golden eggs and, like commercial TV, Internet websites have managed to achieve this.

This really is one of those situations where "Less is more".

When Ads were relatively unobtrusive, people would not use ad blockers, and on TV when ad breaks only lasted 2/3 minutes at a time and only comprised 10 Mins/programing hour or so (Like they did in the 60's/70's) People would watch them.

Nowadays ad-blockers are pretty much an internet must unless you have massive amounts of time and bandwidth to waste. And PVR's are a must for watching TV so that the interminable ad breaks can be FF'd through. (I have seen TV shows recently that run as low as 37Min/Hour with the rest being ads. No sane person is going to sit and watch through all that! It is a joy to watch the BBC sometimes though mostly I only watch the documentaries)

So, message for the day to both TV networks and web site designers.

LESS IS MORE YOU NUMPTIES!

Soldato
I do, but unblock trusted sites. The one I use is also a cookie blocker :)

The problem I have is that some sites I use frequently use have such resource intensive ads, that it makes the website very slow to load

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
Yup - pihole running on a VM (temporarily while I move everything around), with ublock. On the same VM I've got openvpn running with pihole and leave my phone connected the whole time I'm out of the house so get an ad free experience out and about.

Back
Top Bottom