Do you service your car yourself?

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
The list will vary by make, model and service type.

I service my cars myself, but the list varies greatly and is defined by the current required service, which varies depending on mileage and the last service it had.

Soldato
I do it all myself.

Only problem is that when it comes to sell .. there are no stamps.

But I do have a spreadsheet with what I've done... 2-3k oil changes for example.

Soldato
I do it all myself.

But I do have a spreadsheet with what I've done... 2-3k oil changes for example.
Every 3k? I do mine every 5/6k and I thought that was a lot!

I've a VAT registered garage I get on very well with, I supply parts and they do the labour at mates rates.

Soldato
I do it all myself.

Why the hell are you changing the oil every 2-3k?! 6k I could understand for a performance car, but 2-3k seems massively excessive.

Personally I service my car every 12k or year, whichever comes first. That includes oil and filter change, check over of air/cabin/fuel filters, changing as needed. Any repairs I do myself unless the weather is awful and it's urgent, or something like an exhaust repair which I can't do myself (unable to weld). Any repairs and servicing I keep the receipt for and keep in a folder - I note the mileage on them.

Associate
Do it myself and keep all receipts etc for sale time.

In fairness I'm currently driving a 14 year old Z4, so it isn't going to harm the resale value looking after it myself.

Dup

Dup

Soldato
Yep. Varies by usage of the car but I do oil & filter plus air and pollen filter every year.

In 6 years I've done the plugs and gearbox oil twice too but probably once only necessary in that time.

I use Genuine Honda parts where available and get the best deal I can on fluids with club discounts or ECP deals etc.

Brakes I also do, they're easy enough but always need to make sure to take my time as don't want to be in a position I can't drive it to a garage if there's bigger issue or I can't quite do it (seized caliper etc).

My car also needs valve clearances checking/adjusting plus timing chain inspection (can be done at same time). Something I need to do actually.

Costs me about £150 in parts for what the dealer would class as a major service, so £100ish saving from a Honda Dealer and I know it's been done and done right.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Why do people deviate from the manufacturer schedule anyway (assuming that the car is remotely standard). :confused: I just do mine when the computer asks for it, to the schedule defined by the service type that it is asking for, why would you do it more often than that.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
All of my cars for the past 10 years have been under warranty either manufacturers or extended so a garage has to service it.
A very large added cost to the warranty experience, which a lot of people fail to take into account. Mercedes servicing for my E-Class (and even moreso, my old SL classes) is absolutely extortionate to the point of it being a joke, yet would be required should i wish to extend the warranty on it.

Caporegime
Why not?
Oils £15 a tub... I do the oil filter every 3rd change.
I don't care about the cost, I'm just happy knowing the cars happy on fresh oil.

It’s excessive, it’s like I can mow my lawn every day but why would I want to?

If you care about the car that much surely you would also take it to the garage for a service too for a stamp as well.

Soldato
Why not?
Oils £15 a tub... I do the oil filter every 3rd change.
I don't care about the cost, I'm just happy knowing the cars happy on fresh oil.

£15? What oil is it?

Because you want your car to last. Service my Mini myself every 6/8k. A test I saw once said frequency was more important than the quality of oil you used.

Still, you wouldn't want to put 5l of ASDA's finest engine oil in your prde and joy.

Back
Top Bottom