Do YOU stay later at work unpaid?

Associate
At my work they used to pay good overtime, but with the ole credit crunch they have been far stricter. However I still find myself there at least 45 min - 1hr extra each day. Considering I was getting paid £20hr to do this 3 months ago its a massive dent in my wages.

I just would not feel happy though if I didn't do what was required.. pain in the back side to be honest, but I try and let it not bother me too much.

Soldato
That's fair enough but most commuters don't have that free time to themselves, instead they are driving in traffic.
I have had 30 minute dinnertimes for the last 2 decades but this new job is an hour which at the start was way too long and added to my pay/hour.
My boss said that I could come in 30 minutes later and have a 30 minute dinnertime but I've got used to that free time where I sit in my car watching documentaries on my IPod Touch.
During the first 2 weeks of the World Cup I used a bit of flexi and had 30 minute dinnertimes and it was too short so I do agree with you BUT only if the commute works for you.
You are the very first person I've heard say that they enjoy their commute.

That's a shame. Even driving you can listen to music and audio books.

The only time I don't enjoy it is when there's delays and I don't have a book or my Desire has run out of battery.

Oh, or when they leave the heating on in the train and it's 35+ degrees inside it, obviously.

:)

Soldato
It's funny that some people have now put their commutes in as part of the day which I've been preaching for decades.
At the last place I worked with 2 guys from Coseley and it took them 1hr 40 mins there & back everyday.
After working out their hours/petrol they were on £5/hr compared to me getting £8/hr at the time.
I've always said that your working day starts when you get up to when you get home and that amount of hours is what you divide into your wage.
Those 2 guys ended up getting minimum wage jobs 1 mile from where they work (B&Q and a school) and they both earn more now.

I count my commute as some of the little quiet time I get in a day, I can sit and read with my headphones on without being disturbed by anyone. It's great.

Back
Top Bottom