Poll: Do you think the clocks should change?

Do you think the clocks should change?

• yes

Votes: 56 33.1%
  • no

Votes: 113 66.9%

• Total voters
Soldato
Surely the obvious solution is to change the Earth's orbit round the sun.

Or polish the Moon's surface so it reflects light better onto the Earth.

Or just answer with this: 'IF YOU LIKE DAYLIGHT SO MUCH WHY DON'T YOU MOVE TO THE NORTH POLE?'

Soldato
We should just move forward one hour at the end of March, and leave it there. Putting it forward another hour next spring will bring no benefit. Not putting the clocks back in Autumn is where the sense lies.

Caporegime
Personally I think it' a great idea, would be lovely to have long light evenigns in the summer rather than it being light in the morning when half the country is fast asleep!!

Sadly though the campaign, although well supported, didn't manage to get a private members bill into parliament to be debated so it all died away.

That only happens in summer.

In winter most of us (those that get up at half 7 - 8am) and work til half 5 will have to wake up, get up, go to work and then come home from work in the dark 3 months of the year. It's bad enough in the south of England in December as it is. For those that don't have windows/sit away from a window in the office/school that will mean for 3 months of the year it'll be lunchtime before you get a chance to see the light! In the north of England and Scotland it'll be even worse.

The extra hour of sunlight in the afternoon a couple of months a year will not make up for the extra months of darkness we have to incur...

Soldato
We could all get a lot more done if it was changed so we gained an hour. Although the EU would probably rule our 25 hour days as infringing their human rights or something.

Soldato
isnt the whole point of greenwich mean time is everywhere else takes the time off us, in which case surely it would be more correct to change the eu's time to be more in sync with us rather than the other way around?

or alternatively we could really go buck wild and go for decimalised time. i'm fed up of the brain bending mathematics that reduces even a reasonably bright mind to mush when trying to figure out how many hours sleep you'd get in a night for any given time of alarm

wmb

wmb

Associate
instead of this time swithing malarkey why not work on offering more flexible working hours for people?

This. Where practical what does it matter if you start work at 5 am or noon?

Also remember that industries that require daylight for safety reasons (e.g. construction work) should have more say in this discussion than anyone else.

Associate
I'm up for anything that gives me more daylight when I'm at home so that I can enjoy it. Its going to play havoc with my work though as our other dev team is in Arizona (GMT -7) so I have little overlap with them as it is due to working 8-4 during the winter I get 1 hour overlap in summer 0 overlap they are starting as I'm going home. If we move to GMT +1 and +2 I will get no overlap, not that I care but managment will no doubt have something to say about it.

Soldato
I like sunlight, I enjoy sunlight now. If you don't want to go running in the dark, then don't. Go when it is light.

It's ridiculous, like they're all living in a frigging bubble coming up with stupid pointless ideas.

I don't believe in standard working hours, my current job I work 7:30-3:30 because I chose those hours, if I wake up late or I've got a late meeting or travel, I'll do a 10-6 or claim overtime/ time in lieu based on if I'm working later.

They're more flexible than most round here, but I'd say most managers are pretty flexible on working hours. I've worked in a lot of different companies and certainly never encountered, or very rarely, people who would dictate "9-5 working only" if someone made a reasonable request to change for an 8-4 or whatever.

If you don't have standard hours, when do people talk to eachother exactly?

Caporegime
I just spent a Swedish winter where the sun rises at 10am and sets by 1pm....

Utterly confusing.

Stick to the UK times as they are..

e: its only just getting normal again now, until summer :(

Soldato
Yes yes yes - bleast get rid of this silly daylight savings. Bring us in line with a common time along with Europe.

Paris is +1hr ahead how stupid is that!

People the world over in colder, more brutal enviroments deal with it just fine. So I just do not buy the arguments about having to go to "work in the dark" etc etc. (A lively discussion I had just the other day with friends @ work)

The Norwegians, Finns, Siberians etc cope with conditions just fine!!

Soldato
People the world over in colder, more brutal enviroments deal with it just fine. So I just do not buy the arguments about having to go to "work in the dark" etc etc. (A lively discussion I had just the other day with friends @ work)

The Norwegians, Finns, Siberians etc cope with conditions just fine!!

Well, aside from the high suicide rate that is.

Back
Top Bottom