Doctor Who

Caporegime
Strange as I thought the reveal was terrible. The acting had been OK until that point when he went full on pantomime villain. And how was the bomb supposed to be dead locked and sonic proof when it was a timer with exposed wires on a block of explosive? They could have at least made it look like some sort of impregnable box/device. After Michelle Gomez did such a great job, I really hope they have properly thought through bringing back that character...

Same. A reasonable episode but a rather poor ending to the first part. Never been a huge fan of the Master storylines though.

I just can’t get over Whitaker’s Who too though. She’s supposed to be The Doctor, but seems to spend most of her time scared of everything, rather than excited about something new and interacting/dangerous like the past incarnations.

Soldato
Strange as I thought the reveal was terrible. The acting had been OK until that point when he went full on pantomime villain. And how was the bomb supposed to be dead locked and sonic proof when it was a timer with exposed wires on a block of explosive? They could have at least made it look like some sort of impregnable box/device. After Michelle Gomez did such a great job, I really hope they have properly thought through bringing back that character...
That's how the Master has always been.

Soldato
I just can’t get over Whitaker’s Who too though. She’s supposed to be The Doctor, but seems to spend most of her time scared of everything, rather than excited about something new and interacting/dangerous like the past incarnations.

Really good episode!

Knew O was a bad guy from the start though, however, did not think it was The Master. The fact that JW said at the start of the episode not to trust anyone was a big clue that there would be a twist.

I hope O/Master can pull it off though - John Simm was ace, over the top, great speeches etc - we'll see, unless O morphs into another actor?

I am still not loving JW as the Doctor though, as above she runs around always scared and everytime someone asks her something she replies, "Don't know" - she's the frigging Doctor!!!!

Soldato
I thought both were ok episodes. Writing seemed to be really quite good and some points and terrible at others.

Personally I’d rather have had a few normal episodes first than to jump straight back with the master after not seeing the character return for so long. He felt a bit underwhelming and easily beaten.

Story wise part 2 I thought it was ok. Bit dodgy towards the end as we didn’t really see what happened and how the doctor won so easily against the master, or really what exactly the creatures were, just a separate dimension. Felt a bit rushed in that regard.

But then it seemed to pick up again in regards to the ending with gallifrey.

Overall pretty good. Better than last season so far, but still a long ways away to what I hope in regards to previous seasons.

Soldato
We will definitely see the Master again. The story arc relates to Gallifrey and the Timeless child and of course involves the Master, so while he is stuck he will not stay stuck for long.

Associate
After watching the second episode now, I've decided that it's not really out of danger territory yet. Although it's getting out of there certainly...

The Timeless Child backstory setup since the last seasons by only a hint, sounds like it's going to re-write Who lore, and there's going to be a lot of Who fans who's going to be up in arms over this if it falls flat, and we don't know how they are going to manage this at this time. If they pull it off well, all will be fine. However, the slightest mis-step, and torches and pitchforks will be raised by fans in short order. And I currently have no confidence in them handling this at the moment because of last season. So we shall see, but some effort to plan stuff ahead is good.

With regards to the concerns of Doctor Who still virtue signalling for representation of women and minorities unnecessarily and telling us White Men are bad etc, there's still some issues there, but it's really let down by Jodies delivery of her lines that causes such issues. So the issue is her or the director of the episode for making it the way it was in the show; it may have been better as said if they got Jodie to deliver her lines differently or alter the scenes a little to make the Doctor seem more impressed and less quirky and so anything she says makes it stick out like a sore thumb. But here we are anyway. Not terrible like last season, so still not out of the woods on how cluncky they are making it, but definite improvement. The real proof of the pudding is next episode though on whether its really gone/reduced or just because its the opening season episodes being a two parter.

Bill and Ted script antics. Umm... Yeah. Go back in time and alter things to your liking and outcome when you finally get around to it? The Doctor? Sorted. The Master can do that too, so why doesn't he? Oh right, script says he can't. Bad handling of that, logic went out the window real fast on that one and couldn't shake it either, as it's such a big issue.

Overall, will give a chance still for next episode. But it's borderline so far this season. Improvement over last season? Yes. Enough to be as good as ones before? Not yet, no. But again, happy to see how it goes for now.

Soldato
And back to being crap I thought part 2 was rubbish compared to part 1. Also Jodie whatever is awful as the Dr she tries so hard to be quirky but she’s just not. It’s like she is trying to copy Matt Smith and failing badly she is just not suited to the part at all....

Associate
And back to being crap I thought part 2 was rubbish compared to part 1. Also Jodie whatever is awful as the Dr she tries so hard to be quirky but she’s just not it’s like she is trying to copy Matt Smith and failing badly she is just not suited to the part at all....

I thought she was trying to copy Matt AND David?

In any event, she still, in my mind, has not yet done a proper. "I AM The Doctor" moment yet that all previous Nu-Who Doctor's have been graced with, and that doesn't help.

Associate
in fairness to Colin Baker he was badly screwed over by the BBC due to the management at the time hating Dr who, and Michael Grade having a real Grudge against him

Soldato
That's how the Master has always been.

Robert Delgado wasn't. After he died prematurely they left off the Master character for a very long time... probably shouldn't have brought him back at all honestly as everybody else has been a pale shadow. Well possibly Missy was an exception but two female Time Lords would probably have been too much. Or something. Who knows what goes on in the heads of the politically correct to the point of paranoia, diversity obsessed BBC these days.

Associate
in fairness to Colin Baker he was badly screwed over by the BBC due to the management at the time hating Dr who, and Michael Grade having a real Grudge against him
Do you remember Room 101 and Mr Grade tearing into the series. The series was so ridiculed then. Baker and then McCoy just could not command their roles. it was a shame as the McCoy stories were great and Ace is still my favourite companion as she represented what real people were like then.

Back
Top Bottom