• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Does AMD need more VRAM to do the same thing?

• Thread starter Thread starter TNA
  • Start date Start date
Basically what I've said for a while now after seeing likes of TPU, PCGH etc. all pointing out how amd used more vram so good to see more in depth testing from another reputable source. Obviously no amount of optimisation is going solve such issues when trying to run with limited vram @ 4k with zero upscaling and HD textures etc. in poorly optimised or/and vram demanding titles though.

Probably just pre-allocating more VRAM,which make sense as AMD usually has more to play with. Also look at the system RAM allocation- AMD seems to be a bit lower because the extra VRAM helps.

vzlp4mc.png

KJSZtOi.png

sbDbyev.png

Even with the RTX4060/RX7600 8GB comparison there seems to more system memory allocation on the RTX4060:
XoCDB27.png

dkncOBr.png

But the RTX4060/RX7600 are problematic models IMHO.Then are only running a PCI-E 8X link,so that can lead to real problems when you have to page into system RAM,especially on many older systems. PCI-E 4.0 was only common on budget systems from late 2020~2021 onwards.

Last edited:
They may need more vram to do the same thing, but they have it. Sorted.

Can't argue with that. Was just an interesting video. But obviously some just go straight to fanboyism etc. Oh well.

A video made to let he nvidia owner think he did well to pay too much for a card with too few vram

Lucky me I only paid £575 for my 4070 Ti then :)

Probably just pre-allocating more VRAM,which make sense as AMD usually has more to play with. Also look at the system RAM allocation- AMD seems to be a bit lower because the extra VRAM helps.

vzlp4mc.png

KJSZtOi.png

sbDbyev.png

Even with the RTX4060/RX7600 8GB comparison there seems to more system memory allocation on the RTX4060:
XoCDB27.png

dkncOBr.png

But the RTX4060/RX7600 are problematic models IMHO.Then are only running a PCI-E 8X link,so that can lead to real problems when you have to page into system RAM,especially on many older systems. PCI-E 4.0 was only common on budget systems from late 2020~2021 onwards.

Probably down to SAM/rebar too.

What I find particularly interesting though was that when vram is being saturated, nvidia gpu handled the stutter/fps change better than amd here, obviously could just be the selection of games but not something I have seen mentioned before.

Allocation doesn't = usage.

He has dedicated usage in his stats and this is also increased too.

I wont click on this video its obviously nvidia fanboyism and/or amd hating
A video made to let he nvidia owner think he did well to pay too much for a card with too few vram

You do realise comments like this paint you as being defensive for amd which in return indicates you as being a fan of said brand?

It's Daniel Owen, he is pretty neutral and his videos are always worth a watch given the amount of evidence he provides to back up his statements.

Just another stealth "Is 8GB enough VRAM" thread.

Have you watched the video? This is far better than HUBs vram antagonistic videos and those "vram" threads. This actually gives some pretty good insight.

Probably down to SAM/rebar too.

What I find particularly interesting though was that when vram is being saturated, nvidia gpu handled the stutter/fps change better than amd here, obviously could just be the selection of games but not something I have seen mentioned before.

There would need to be a bigger selection of games,but if the Nvidia drivers can allocate more system RAM effectively it might be helpful. So what you would need to see if this is due to more effect system RAM paging or something else.

But as I said the RTX4060/RX7600 8GB being 8X link cards are going to have more problems if stuck on a PCI-E 3.0 system,which is more likely the situation for cheaper cards. That paging into VRAM is going to be more problematic.

Lots of the reviewers use PCI-E 4.0/PCI-E 5.0 systems using DDR5,and paging into DDR5 is better than DDR3/DDR4. I like to see how the RTX4060/RTX4060TI/RX7600 will compare against the RTX4060TI/RX7600XT 16GB on an older system(especially as these will have 16GB of slower DDR3 or DDR4 RAM).

Last edited:
Allocation doesn't = usage.
This is of course true, so it can be a bit like a kernel "using" GBs of RAM to cache disk stuff until something comes along which actually needs memory - would be wasteful to throw the cached stuff away until then.

However, Nvidia have historically been... careful... economical with VRAM.

Now, some us might put that down to planned obsolescences and higher margins from a lower BOM, but it is entirely possible that as a consequence their driver team genuinely has learned to be more frugal. And possibly their onboard compression could be better

Back
Top Bottom