Does anyone else no longer recognise the tech community?

Soldato
OP
much of that is a case of people not feeling that the benefit is worth the hassle.

for example by now folk have lots of usba cables around, and whilst usbc might be better, it's easier if they just stick to the standard especially when few people really exploit the benefits of the new system.

same with headphone jacks, you can't get around the fact that the standard 3.5mm headphone jack means you have infinite battery life, and a good unit is much cheaper. and people are happy to accept the trade off of having wires.

microsd cards too are handy, means (within limits) you can expand your phones storage according to your needs and available technology rather than being stuck with whatever the spec was when you bought the item.

i wouldn't say that face id is a better system than an actual fingerprint reader, in fact the very opposite. facial recognition might have some cool tech behind how it works but it's arguably worse as a security measure.

when "advancements" don't make things any easier or more practical for the end-user then they're not really advancements.

But those things do makes things easier and more practical. That’s the point I’m making. ‘Normal’ people tend not to see the benefit until after the tech-enthusiasts have long since adopted these things. The fact that we are having the very conversation where some people don’t want these advancements is precisely the point I’m making. I don’t recognise a forum of so-called tech enthusiasts not being enthused by tech and actively shunning it!

Caporegime
because to most people its not an advancement to lose for example a few grams of wires so you have some headphones you have to keep recharging all the time.

same reason many of us use a network cable instead of wifi at home.

its not an improvement over wired if your using something that you don't walk around the house with.

Im much too young for Betamax I’m afraid but I can’t think off the top of my head anything I’ve adopted that hasn’t gone anywhere. Thunderbolt over mini display port maybe?
okay but if you were constantly searching new tech and being an early adopter you would have a nice collection of lazer discs etc.

there's a reason many people don't want to be early adopters, because it's a waste of money if it doesn't catch on and some things people just don't see the need for

believe it or not but not everything pushed at us is not an improvement people just want to sell things shiny things

Soldato
OP
because to most people its not an advancement to lose for example a few grams of wires so you have some headphones you have to keep recharging all the time.

same reason many of us use a network cable instead of wifi at home.

its not an improvement over wired if your using something that you don't walk around the house with.

It’s not just losing the weight of wires (that’s quite a bizarre benefit you’ve thought of there!) it’s gaining freedom to not be physically tied to another device. I don’t even know how you’d attach headphones to your smart watch. But again it highlights the main point of my thread of me not recognising this community of people who are actively shunning tech advancement despite being on a tech-enthusiast site.

Caporegime
why would I need a smart watch? I have a smart phone already that does more than these smart watches?

don't tell me you are connecting a watch to your phone wireless to then connect some headphones wireless to your watch?

why not just cut out the middle man

btw whats the deal with wireless headphones can you wear only one of the set and still be fine or does the pair need to be within a certain distance of each other?

how easy would they fall out over a few hours of cycling, would the batteries last that long or would I have to constantly worry about charging them every half day so they don't run out the next time I'm outside.
honestly don't see the benefits

Soldato
OP
why would I need a smart watch? I have a smart phone already that does more than these smart watches?

When you’re out running/at the gym and you haven’t got your phone with you?

But thanks, you are very clearly highlighting what I’m talking about in this thread.

Out of interest would you consider yourself a tech-enthusiast or do you recognise that you are not?

Caporegime
When you’re out running/at the gym and you haven’t got your phone with you?

But thanks, you are very clearly highlighting what I’m talking about in this thread.

Out of interest would you consider yourself a tech-enthusiast or do you recognise that you are not?
I cycle for exercise I have a garmin on my bike that measures my speed, rpm, distance travelled, maps my route , estimates calories, tracks my heart rate etc.

I don';t need a smart watch

I used to be a tech enthusiast some years ago before I realised companies will try to sell you anything and tell you its an improvement and you really must have this device to be part of the in crowd .

everything is just about influencers these days, oh look people have these which they were given for free, you too must own one to be considered "normal"

tech snobbery or something like that

BTW how old are you? I'm soon 40 and was pretty much a tech enthusiast until around 34 years old

yes sure I still like gadgets I just know for me personally they aren't needed, its just excess and a waste of money or paying for something which personally I see as a downgrade (removing 3.5mm jacks)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I cycle for exercise I have a garmin on my bike that measures my speed, rpm, distance travelled, maps my route , estimates calories, tracks my heart rate etc.

I don';t need a smart watch

I used to be a tech enthusiast some years ago before I realised companies will try to sell you anything and tell you its an improvement and you really must have this device to be part of the in crowd .

everything is just about influencers these days, oh look people have these which they were given for free, you too must own one to be considered "normal"

tech snobbery or something like that

I don’t think it’s necessarily about being part of the ‘in’ crowd it’s more about having a sense for where technology is going and being onboard from the early stages before the vast majority of people get there. That’s what I’d consider a tech-enthusiast. It seems that that has been lost on a lot of people recently.

Like it’s blindingly obvious that Bluetooth headphones are the future and the ‘normobs’ are catching up now to where enthusiasts have been for a few years. This is why the removal of the 3.5mm jack was a non-event to enthusiasts but more painful for ‘normobs’ who had to find a different solution.

Caporegime
I don’t think it’s necessarily about being part of the ‘in’ crowd it’s more about having a sense for where technology is going and being onboard from the early stages before the vast majority of people get there. That’s what I’d consider a tech-enthusiast. It seems that that has been lost on a lot of people recently.

Like it’s blindingly obvious that Bluetooth headphones are the future and the ‘normobs’ are catching up now to where enthusiasts have been for a few years. This is why the removal of the 3.5mm jack was a non-event to enthusiasts but more painful for ‘normobs’ who had to find a different solution.
maybe you missed my question, or I edited it in to one of my posts after.

would you be able to cycle for hours with only one of the wireless headphones in and would there be a risk of losing it at 15-30mphs because there could be a risk of it falling from your ear due to all the vibrations

Soldato
OP
maybe you missed my question, or I edited it in to one of my posts after.

would you be able to cycle for hours with only one of the wireless headphones in and would there be a risk of losing it at 15-30mphs because there could be a risk of it falling from your ear due to all the vibrations

No risk of losing it because it hooks over your ears. No idea how many hours you could go as I’ve never listed for many hours in a row. 5/6/7 hrs maybe? No idea really.

Soldato
Knew this thread would go downhill quickly.

Im much too young for Betamax I’m afraid but I can’t think off the top of my head anything I’ve adopted that hasn’t gone anywhere. Thunderbolt over mini display port maybe?

You cant be much of an enthusiast then.

Betamax
Laserdisc
Minidisk
SACD
DVDA
HD-DVD
windows phone
google glass

You didnt own any of those things? You must be one of those non-tech enthusiasts you were talking about!

Soldato
OP
Knew this thread would go downhill quickly.

You cant be much of an enthusiast then.

Betamax
Laserdisc
Minidisk
SACD
DVDA
HD-DVD
windows phone
google glass

You didnt own any of those things? You must be one of those non-tech enthusiasts you were talking about!

I had a windows phone (and still have 2). Google glass was clearly going nowhere so I didn’t own one.

Your sarcastic post doesn’t go unnoticed though. It’s a shame we can’t have a sensible adult discussion on this forum :(.

I’m getting the impression that tech-enthusiasts aren’t really welcome here anymore.

Caporegime
3.5mm Headphones never need recharged. And you'll likely need a new set of Bluetooth headphones so you'll spend more money. Ideally on the same brand as your phone.
Wireless charging gives you LESS freedom to use your device compared to a cable, not more.
Micro SD Cards allow you to upgrade the storage on your phone simply, quickly and cheaply. Phone manufacturers don't want you doing that, they want you to buy a new phone with bigger capacity.

Many of the technological 'improvements' these days aren't for our benefit, they're for the companies, the manufacturers and the retailers. They exist to get us to spend money, not because they represent a massive technological leap over what came before. There's ZERO reason to remove the headphone jack, (although I will concede it allows phones to become thinner but how thin does a phone really need to be?) other than to make us all rush out and buy Bluetooth headphones, often at £100+, sometimes if you want earpods, £200+.

Caporegime
No risk of losing it because it hooks over your ears. No idea how many hours you could go as I’ve never listed for many hours in a row. 5/6/7 hrs maybe? No idea really.
requires both of them to be in at the same time though because they are attached by a wire or what?

when I cycle I only use one headphone so I am still aware of whats going on behind me (not cycling on roads) and if it happens to fall out It's not lost since the wire goes up the inside of my tshirt and our of my my collar enabling it to safely dangle

lets face it with wired headphones you forget the wire is even there, it not some huge clunky chain around your kneck

Soldato
Your sarcastic post doesn’t go unnoticed though. It’s a shame we can’t have a sensible adult discussion on this forum :(.

I’m getting the impression that tech-enthusiasts aren’t really welcome here anymore.

Not sarcastic, just honest. Your threads always end up the same way and thats because pretend to ask an open question to invite debate, but what you actually do is state an opinion then tell everybody else they are wrong ad infinitum. This is what you always do. Just in this thread, for instance, you have already told us we're a forum full of non-tech enthusiasts because we 'push against new tech' and don't adopt and yet i've just reeled off a list of technologies, most of which you've never touched let alone bought in to.

I'm sorry if you don't like it, it's just the truth. You're not any more a tech enthusiast than the majority of us. :)

Back
Top Bottom