Does anyone have OCD? : Obsessive compulsive disorder

Capodecina
Soldato
Let's be clear: If you regularly check your pockets to confirm that you've still got your car keys, or if you prefer your sandwiches with the crust cut off, or if you only eat red Starbursts, you're not suffering from OCD. Those are just quirks, and also the red Starburst is obviously the best.

This boiled my ****. I can only imagine the amount of people over the years on social networks who have said, "I only like the red Starburst LOL OCD!!!!"

You wouldn't say, "I have a mole, LOL CANCER" would you.

Everyone thinks they have OCD to some degree or other.

People have habits or the 'oh did I switch the lights off' and class that as OCD when its not.

Someone I knew had it and one of the things she had to do was when hanging her washing out the coloured clothes pegs had to be in a certain sequence ie red, green yellow red green yellow etc If she ran out of a colour the remaining washing was put back in the washing machine. She could hang the other clothes out but knowing they were there with miss-matched coloured pegs would drive her to distraction.

She had a few things like this and to be honest it must drive you up the wall in daily life.

Associate
Someone I knew had it and one of the things she had to do was when hanging her washing out the coloured clothes pegs had to be in a certain sequence ie red, green yellow red green yellow etc If she ran out of a colour the remaining washing was put back in the washing machine. She could hang the other clothes out but knowing they were there with miss-matched coloured pegs would drive her to distraction.

Then why not just buy and use pegs of the same colour. Cured.

Soldato
I'm a very bad germaphobe, and struggle to relax, if i've done something as simple as shook someones hand, without washing my hands afterwards. Not exactly OCD, but definitely a mind over matter issue. Also my house has to be very clean. Windows polished, car clean. No clutter or cables on show, if not I can't relax. I'll NEVER EVER open a toilet door without using tissue, unless its in my own home. Oh if i ever rent a car, i take antiseptic wipes with me, and wipe down all the interior and also i take a stash with me whenever i stay in a hotel.

Caporegime
I don't have diagnosed OCD but I believe that I do.

Some people think to themselves "On Minecraft I need to have the walls all the same block. Damn OCD!", but yeah, that's not OCD, that's just attention to detail.

I believe I have it as I cannot use plates, knives, mugs, etc without washing them first, even if they're already clean. I wash everything except plates with bleach because I believe it to be dirty unless I do that. I also don't use anything that someone else has used, like sharing a drink or food. I wash my hands after touching anything in public such as door handles or shopping basket handles.

Oh, and I never eat or drink in public unless there is nobody around because I think it's going to get dirty and make me sick.

There's a list of other things too. May just be weird mannerisms rather than OCD...

I think you need to look up what ocd is...

You've got something closer to an irrational fear of infection.

Associate
Dis, don't be rude. You clearly don't understand OCD. So why bother even posting.

OCD can most certainly manifest as that person describes. In fact "contamination" based OCD is a large chunk of many suffers obsessions and compulsions, sure it could be a fear of germs (mysophobia), but as I said OCD can most certainly manifest around contamination from bacteria/germs.

Now what would make it for sure OCD is if Jegethy would feel anxious (terrible amounts of anxiety) if he weren't to wash his/her hands, further more if jegethy obsesses about if he/she washed his hands enough/properly/at all and then gets anxious about that, thus feeling compelled to wash hands. What I described is text book OCD

Last edited:
Permabanned
Slightly...everything should either be on the left or in the centre and not the right, which annoying driving a RHD car.

Soldato
Can I just chime in here from a professional perspective.

There is a severe misunderstanding of OCD; both from the general public and also irresponsible media representations. OCD, as some have mentioned, can be a debilitating and traumatic experience (particularly with many cases of OCD being...'if I don't do xxx, then my family will get hurt' or something similar).

Luckily, there is a fairly good hit rate for the 'treatment', so there is some room for optimism.

edit: lining things up, counting in twos, etc are not necessarily OCD, and any attempt to say so is perpetuating the myth.

F42.1 Predominantly Compulsive Acts (Obsessional Rituals) The majority of compulsive acts are concerned with cleaning (particularly hand-washing), repeated checking to ensure that a potentially dangerous situation has not been allowed to develop, or orderliness and tidiness. Underlying the overt behaviour is a fear, usually of danger either to or caused by the patient, and the ritual act is an ineffectual or symbolic attempt to avert that danger. Compulsive ritual acts may occupy many hours every day and are sometimes associated with marked indecisiveness and slowness. Overall, they are equally common in the two sexes but hand-washing rituals are more common in women and slowness without repetition is more common in men. Compulsive ritual acts are less closely associated with depression than obsessional thoughts and are more readily amenable to behavioural therapies.

Part of the diagnostic framework...though I'm concerned about posting it here with the amount of self-diagnosing going on. ;)

Last edited:
I'll double check and triple check that I've locked my front door, but that's about it.

I agree with a lot of the posts here. People play the OCD and autism card too often. It reminds me of the misuse of the word literally - "omg I literally died". No you did not :p

Associate
Problem with treatment for OCD is that it requires the person to face their fears. A large part of OCD is about avoiding/finding ways to counterbalance perceived threats and fears, those fears are often crippling and debilitating. Thus resulting in a large amount of OCD suffers to to "suffer in silence" and be very recovery avoiding in general.

Caporegime
Dis, don't be rude. You clearly don't understand OCD. So why bother even posting.

OCD can most certainly manifest as that person describes. In fact "contamination" based OCD is a large chunk of many suffers obsessions and compulsions, sure it could be a fear of germs (mysophobia), but as I said OCD can most certainly manifest around contamination from bacteria/germs.

Now what would make it for sure OCD is if Jegethy would feel anxious (terrible amounts of anxiety) if he weren't to wash his/her hands, further more if jegethy obsesses about if he/she washed his hands enough/properly/at all and then gets anxious about that, thus feeling compelled to wash hands. What I described is text book OCD

So hold on. You basically tell me where to go and then concede that what I say may well be correct.
Ocd related to cleanliness would more likely manifest through forms such as repeated handwashing to the point of irritation and such. Something that hasn't been mentioned. Just the urge to not touch a 'contaminated' surface.

Permabanned
I hate having the edited bit as it makes it look messy

I hate it too :mad:
and it's such an utterly pointless thing to have on a forum. Who cares if I edit my post anyway?

Unfortunately I find it hard to proof check my post in a small box (again, why does it have to be so small?)

Forums almost encourage one liners and typos.

Associate
No Dis, hand washing isn't a symptom of OCD. It's a by product of feeling contaminated. Contaminated by "dirty things" (if they are actually dirty or not is irrelevant to someone with OCD). Said "dirty things" can range from the floor, toilets, anything someone else touches, your own child, animals basically anything depending on the individual. Hand washing is just such a focal point since we as humans use our hands for everything, and are often seen (and in a lot of cases are) as the primary contact point for being contaminated by something.

I had to concede that maybe the person didn't have OCD, because A: I'm not a doctor and B: one forum post by him isn't enough to conclude anything.

However I can tell you what that individual wrote is defiantly part of how a person suffering from OCD manifested via contamination fears would go about things. Hence why I was snappy, sorry if I was rude but still, we should leave the diagnosing up to professionals.

To add finally on the subject of OCD. OCD can manifest in many ways. Contamination, Symmetry, checking things, "pure OCD" = intrusive mental thoughts or a bunch of other ways. It's complicated, not very understood and a ****** illness.

What the conclusion is, if someone feel they have an issue and are struggling with anything health related (mental or physical) then Go see your GP.

Last edited:
Soldato
I don't think it's an OCD but I have to check my front door twice, walk away, walk back, check twice again now when leaving he house! it's not a mental OCD...

I do have a rather frustrating thing I suppose which might come across as OCD in that I lose my rag a bit if something is not done absolutely spot on as I tend to lash out and be to the point if it is not done in a certain manner which in my eyes is right....

Only ever been like this since I had a head injury (brain bleed-subarachnoid haemorrhage) thinking about it and I had to learn tying shoe laces etc all over again!

I have to force myself to walk away from things otherwise it can go a bit unhealthy.

Soldato
Real ocd is extremely unpleasant for the person who has it,

Imagine being really very anxious about things, you really believe these things, you cannot get them out of your head. Then your imagination spreads the concern to loads of other things by magic. It really eats away at you and has to be treated.

Other people would not even consider these bad things as remote possibilities.

Man of Honour
How is it 20+ years ago there was no such thing?

20 years ago they didn't have a name for it.
I remember around 1972 a classmate doing things over & over, when I left school in 1974 an instructor in the Michelin Apprentice School kept doing things over & over, when I moved to the factory in 1978 there was another bloke who kept repeating stuff and then a workmate at Creda/Hotpoint getting up to stuff in 1980 and so on.
We just called them weirdo's back then.

The worst case I've heard of (except on TV) is my work colleagues sister who can take up to 4 hours to eventually go to sleep and has to get up 4 hours before she goes to work because of the endless repeating.
Last year I was sitting in my car at dinner time and I watched a Nurse for 25 minutes park her car, walk round it repeatedly, park it again, walk round it and so on.

Back
Top Bottom