Does anyone here play games on Linux?

Capodecina
Soldato
I Installed Mint 20 a few weeks ago, installed steam, had Doom2016 running in about 10 minutes.

Wine....well thats another matter. I'm sure it does say somewhere that its a work in progress! Just remember, some of the benefits you get from running Linux, are lost as soon as you install Wine :)

Which benefits are lost? WINE is just a compatibility layer. Security? Performance? Features? Stability?

That said, apparently it was possible to contract the wannacry virus through WINE. But generally it's absolutely fine.

Associate
My issue with Linux Gaming is i can't get good mouse acceleration/pointer precision. The curve seems to be linear and doesn't feel good when you are used to Windows pointer precision. It's what make me return to Windows 8.1 :(

Soldato
OP
My issue with Linux Gaming is i can't get good mouse acceleration/pointer precision. The curve seems to be linear and doesn't feel good when you are used to Windows pointer precision. It's what make me return to Windows 8.1 :(

I can't say I've ever noticed that problem but then I use a really cheap wireless mouse at the moment and on top of that I get really shaky hands so find it hard to do things that require control of the mouse.

Associate
I can't say I've ever noticed that problem but then I use a really cheap wireless mouse at the moment and on top of that I get really shaky hands so find it hard to do things that require control of the mouse.
Haha yeah doesn't sound like you would run into the issue :p Most people turn off all acceleration/precision so there isn't much demand for a Windows precision pointer enhancement unfortunately for me :(

Soldato
I don't know this for certain as I don't have a VR headset, but I'd be surprised if some of the major racing titles didn't work. i only have a few racing titles but both Assetto Corsa & Project Cars work quite well on Linux for normal gameplay.

Associate
I don't know this for certain as I don't have a VR headset, but I'd be surprised if some of the major racing titles didn't work. i only have a few racing titles but both Assetto Corsa & Project Cars work quite well on Linux for normal gameplay.
I've got a Quest 2. And I love Project Cars 2. And I run Manjaro. Now if only I can get myself a graphics card then I'll see if I can answer this question...

Soldato
I have this week started playing games on Linux using steam proton and wine tricks plus lutris.
I have installed the latest POP OS! Beta 21.04 and have to say im enjoying the experience and ive so far got some games installed and working fine.

Epic games installs under lutris but the online for the social part wont install and is a known issue so i cant try out the new chivalry 2 me and the wife play :)

On steam via proton i have dying light working really well, no stutter and averaging 200 fps.
Also on steam northgard works well.
steam - hunter call of the wild working well - maybe bug when it shows bleed rate as just a % and no numbers but seems fine otherwise
Steam - ashes of the singularity works in skirmish just fine, not tried online with my son yet.
Steam - The elder scrolls online working again really well no stutter etc and ive got mods installed

Battle.net is installed through lutris and ive installed hearthstone which again seems to work just fine.

not tried any other yet but im impressed so far.

and how could i forget i also have star citizen working as expected as well, there is a star citizen group organisation called LUG as well which can help.

Last edited:
Soldato
to add to these games ive now played dying light for an hour and half in multiplayer with no issues at all.

Also now installed The Isle dino game my youngest really likes and it plays fine as well.

Soldato
There are plenty of games that work well on Linux (some native, lots with Proton/Wine). I've just bought Elite Dangerous and that seems fine with Proton GE. May also work with Proton Experimental but haven't tried that yet. Been playing World of Warcraft for years on Linux, as well as Starcraft (I & II) & Diablo III. Warcraft III works too, but the menu was a little buggy and slow.

Then there's Lord of the Rings Online, Desperados III, War for the Overworld, Command & Conquer: Remastered, Ashes of the Singularity: Escalation, Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak, Path of Exile, Spellforce III & Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun.

That's just a few from my Steam library that all work well. I've also got Guild Wars 1 and 2, Warcraft II, Diablo I & II, Emperor: Battle for Dune, Motocross Madness 2 & Freelancer (all nostalgia titles!) installed via Lutris.

That's just the start. There's a ton of others that I've played but don't have installed at the moment. protondb.com is a great place to check for Steam titles.

Soldato
I am using Steam under Linux on a few setups.

My main Linux PC is my good old AMD 9590 in a SabreTooth 990FX R2.0 Mobo, 32GB ATI 580RTX and Creative Recon3D. Running Mint 20.1 / Cinnamon
My Secondary Linux PC is an I7-5930K in another SabreTooth, the x99, 32GB, with nVidia 970, and Creative ZXR, running OpenSuSE LEAP
My Secondary Laptop is an I7 wheverthehellitis and thats a 2.8Ghz with 16GB, NVidia 980m, and thats playing Lubuntu thats running Mate ( Yeah, I know )

They all seem to be running just fine, however just recently the Audio in the x99 has been noisy under gaming, and has a few moments where it kind of pauses for a fraction of a second... just enough to notice, but not enough to ruin a game, but its still there you know!

In truth, for me, there is no real reason to stay with Windows as there is nothing that I do, that Linux does not do every bit as well as Windows these days, but I do have my main PC running Windows, so I'm kind of a hypocrite for that

Associate
I've got a Quest 2. And I love Project Cars 2. And I run Manjaro. Now if only I can get myself a graphics card then I'll see if I can answer this question...
Alas, it appears that only the Valve Index and Vive headsets are supported by Steam VR. If you've got an Oculus and want to run it on Linux, you are out of luck. Unless anyone knows otherwise?

Soldato
I have to admit I'm quite tempted to buy a Valve Index. Keep putting it off though because of the price, the fact I don't play FPS games as they generally give me motion sickness and because it's been out a couple of years now I believe and sods luck would say as soon as I buy one, the price will drop :).

I also refuse to buy anything that requires a Facebook account.

Back
Top Bottom