Does anyone know if it is possible to network a tv signal?

Associate
I'm in uni accomodation (breezeblock yay!) so the signal in my room is non existant. However the guy that lives directly above me has a pretty much perfect signal. We are both running ultimate. I let him use my network for internet access and to share files. Now I was wondering is there any way possible to network the tv signal? Ive heard of programs that can share a signal over a network before.

I doubt it is possible but ideally id like to get media center to somehow use the aerial connected to his pc to tune in the tv signal and then use that. Don't know if that can be done via a plugin or messing about with settings or if it is just impossible.

Are there any sort of programs that would allow this?

Associate
OP
VNC? I think I used that to do remote desktop between my XP media center and XP PRO laptop back when for some reason, windows remote desktop caused the media center to crash.

How exactly does it work?

Associate
OP
My friend would still need to be able to use his computer fully at the same time, and if possible watch tv at the same time(I have a dual tuner, so I could put it into his comp if necessary?)

Associate
OP
fumbles said:
Wont work, it doesn't stream video....

VLC however can do it nicely.

Vlc media player? I have that but I have no idea how to stream video from his comp with it?

As I said Ideally, we would be able to watch seperate tv channels. I have a dual tuner he has a single tuner if necessary I can put it into his comp?

Associate
OP
Well I went to File and open capture device. My webcam isnt working (the video will make it crash) but its mic is working, Im using it and there is like a half second delay but I can hear everything. So can I somehow get access to my tuner card and broadcast it?

This would be going on on my friends computer and then I would need to be able to remotely control it, as in change the channel that is currently on.

This seems possible I think but I am a complete noob at this, is there any sort of guides available? I did find one that said about this kind of thing, even for streaming tv but didnt go into much specifics and the audio device right now it just set to default, the only other option is "none"

Associate
Lister2020 said:
Vlc media player? I have that but I have no idea how to stream video from his comp with it?

As I said Ideally, we would be able to watch seperate tv channels. I have a dual tuner he has a single tuner if necessary I can put it into his comp?

Sure put it in his computer.

1. Open VLC on his computer
2. File>Open Capture Device
3. Refresh List
4. Select TV tuner card you want to have steaming
5. Under advanced option down the bottom select Steam/Save
6. Settings
7. Select UDP and put either you IP address or a multicast address ie 224.0.0.2, also port number, default is 1234
8. Select video and audio codec's based on the connection (unless you have a gigabit connection with the other guy)
9. TTL set as 2 then hit OK, Ok again

On both computers
1. Set Windows Firewall to allow the port number you selected

On your computer
1. Open VLC
2. File >Open Network Stream
3. If you did Multicast select the UDP/RTP Multicast radio button with port number, otherwise if you did it as a unicast then just select the top with the right port number.
4. Press OK and then you should be watching TV

This can be somewhat taxing on his computer.

Then benefit with multicasting is that anyone on the network can tune into it and watch at the same time.

Also we you go to first setting it up, also ticking the play locally button to see if its actually working.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Ok I will try this, though on my comp it only saw the webcam as the default capture device. Ive got it going on my laptop but need to get the desktop displaying it now.

If this can work it will be really cool thanks :D I will post my results!

Associate
hmmz intesting, is it not just as simple to use a cable splitter, and then run a cable form his to yours, wont cost that much, simple to do, if it breaks up the signal to much jsut get a booster, again not costing musch, there is no need to use software when a simple cable solution would do..
btw, i do this for sending signals all around my house

Associate
OP
well im def doing something wrong.

Here are my settings.

Broadcasting comp.

Open capture device:

Settings:

UDP ticked address "224.0.0.2" Port "1234"

Select all elementary streams ticked TTL "2"

ok
Ok
k

Fil is broadcasig ( I thinkg) nd it is working locally. Getting both sund and video from my webcam.

Receiving computer:

File - Open Network Stream
UDP/RTP Multicase cicked Address "224.0.0.2" Port "1234"

OK

VLC looks like it is playing but it doesnt show any video or sound and says "0:00:00/0:00:00"

I added port 1234 to the irewall n my destp and my laptop desnt have a firewall.

What have Idone wrong?

Soldato
Does your internet provider have an 'IPTV' or similar service where you can watch some channels on the internet? Might be an option, and it's fairly cheap (40 quid iirc).

Associate
OP
Atari said:
Does your internet provider have an 'IPTV' or similar service where you can watch some channels on the internet? Might be an option, and it's fairly cheap (40 quid iirc).

I'm pretty sure I can't get IPTV or at least any deent IPTV until the end of the year, when I will be finished uni and that might be a feasible option.

Clearly it is possible with VLC media player, I'm just doing something wrong.

Back
Top Bottom