Does anyone pay for a milkman?

Soldato
I'm thinking of getting milk and maybe some farm foods delivered in the morning and was wondering if anyone else does this. I'll want two or three litres of skimmed milk and maybe some farm food to go along with it.

Soldato
No, we've tried it several times over the years, but all have turned out to be expensive, and worse, totally unreliable.
The last one we tried despite all the promises delivered the milk at 4pm.

Caporegime
1 pint of milk can last me a week (I only have it in coffee). So it's not worth it.

Also, I found out 10min walk from me, the local dairy has installed a vending machine where you can buy fresh milk.

Basically, 1 vending machines sells just empty glass bottles, then another to dispense milk. You can even have chocolate flavour, or banana or strawberry.

Soldato
OP
Next door neighbour does. It's pretty pricey these days.
Yeah I expected it would be but not having to worry about running out of milk and cheese is good.
Your wife asking by any chance?
She can pay for her own bit on the side (no I'm not married).
No, we've tried it several times over the years, but all have turned out to be expensive, and worse, totally unreliable.
The last one we tried despite all the promises delivered the milk at 4pm.
I guess I'll just have to give it a go and see what happens.
The woman round the corner does, apparently about an hour every Wednesday, and on Sundays when her husband is working away. No idea what the milkman's real name is but we all call him Ernie round here :)
Hah :D.

Soldato
We use mcqueens and get bottles of regular milk, oat milk and orange juice.

Only had minor issues and it tastes better than the supermarket stuff.

Associate
We did during Covid, on the first occasion when we had to self-isolate we realised we didn't have bread and milk and was a bit of a PITA to sort out so decided it was a good fall back and wasn't too expensive compared to buying the items in the shop.

However, started to get unreliable, bread wasn't delivered or wrong bread and so we ended up getting rid in the end. That was Moretons.

Soldato
Good old days - go to front door for milk and there it is with 2" of frozen milk sticking out of the top - Then birds pecked holes in top for the cream.

Full skimmed out of a carton these days - At least the cartons come in handy. Cut top off to put tea bags in after you have used them - Old cat food and fat out of pans then gaffa tape it up when full.

Soldato
Ours is great, delivers twice a week 3 bottles each delivery early in morning like 4am. And eggs every fortnight.

Cats were getting at the milk, now he puts our doormat over the crate.

Permabanned
Bit of a rarity these days, by all accounts. What with the early hours and low margins it's no surprise they are dying out. Shame really, in my "younger days" I well remember meeting the milkman on his rounds as i was getting in from some dalliance ;)

Soldato
Bit of a rarity these days, by all accounts. What with the early hours and low margins it's no surprise they are dying out. Shame really, in my "younger days" I well remember meeting the milkman on his rounds as i was getting in from some dalliance ;)
Havn't seen one for years remember teh Unigate one from when I was a kid you could hear his float coming if you were up late even when the snow fell he'd put chains on the tyres and you could hear the "chink chink chink" from miles away, can't imagine anyone doing that these days

Soldato
Two to three times a week. Usually get 3 or 4 pints every Monday and Friday and sometimes extra pint on Thursday if running low. Also get eggs delivered every Monday and Friday. Occasionally add other stuff to it if we don't have time/ can't be bothered go shopping.

Edit: just for reference the price is anywhere between £9 to £12 a week. Milk is just under £1 a pint and eggs are bit over £2 for large free-range

Last edited:
Soldato
We get two 1 pint bottles of milk delivered twice a week. Total cost £3.92, so about 2.5x the cost of buying a single 4 pint bottle in the supermarket - it's only bought because my better half wanted to reduce plastic waste.

It's very annoying as there's no guaranteed "deliver by" time, so occasionally it's been delivered at 0730 or later when we've gone to work, and sometimes the lid doesn't seal quite properly and the milk doesn't seem to last as long, even though they live in the fridge. Couple that with the fact it's sometimes delivered at 0500 on a Saturday and we don't get up until 0800 means it's been sat outside in 16C+ heat for 3 hours, which probably doesn't help either. It's a massive faff.

Soldato
I start work at 2-3am sometimes and see them delivering then, dunno if they do that when it's hot weather! Lovely milk that's been sat outside in the heat for hours

Back
Top Bottom