Does anyone still game on CRTs?

Soldato
I really regret disposing of my Sony GDM FW900 24" Trinitron widescreen CRT.

Ouch. They were really great units.

I have some CRTs - 2x 21" Trinitron TVs and a 17" Samsung PC CRT. I find I use the TVs more for retro gaming, mostly for 480i gaming (such as PS2), which just doesn't present as well as consoles that output progressive scan. Input latency, motion clarity and the 'right look' due to phosphors are all considerations in making it a better experience. Anything from PS3 or newer though looks better on my OLED flat panel.

That said, I don't have access to a decent scaler with a good de-interlacing capability, so maybe I would not have the CRTs if I was happy with that.

I guess the almost perfect solution would be a 4k scaler with great de-interlace capability, ideally also with BFI for motion clarity and CRT filters for presentation of retro content, piped to a high refresh rate OLED. That's probably not technically possible yet, maybe the upcoming RetroTink will get close.

Soldato
I run a 14” Sony CRT for the retro consoles but they are also hooked up to a OSSC and then into a 4k LCD in my little gaming room - the CRT is night and day better for retro machines, I reckon if I spent about 2k on an 42” OLED and the Retrotink 4k when it comes out I could get close to the CRT these days (Super NT on my OLED looks great)

I would love the retro consoles on a 40+ screen but they are all kinds of wrong on an LCD and the OSSC isnt the best being a line doubler etc with terrible de-interlacing so until it gets closer the CRT is king!

Back
Top Bottom