Does anyone use the TPcast?

Associate
It's a game changer but overly expensive and sometimes a bit finicky to start up. Recently it's been a joy to get set up but to start with it appeared to be a black art in getting things in the right order. There's a lot of moving parts (so to speak) to get talking to each other wirelessly.

But as I'm bleeding edge VR kind of guy the expense be damned :)

Playing something like Skyrim for hours on end never having to once worry about cable tangling especially when going up a long winding staircase, of which there appears to be many, is a doddle.

Soldato
OP
It's a game changer but overly expensive and sometimes a bit finicky to start up. Recently it's been a joy to get set up but to start with it appeared to be a black art in getting things in the right order. There's a lot of moving parts (so to speak) to get talking to each other wirelessly.

But as I'm bleeding edge VR kind of guy the expense be damned :)

Playing something like Skyrim for hours on end never having to once worry about cable tangling especially when going up a long winding staircase, of which there appears to be many, is a doddle.

Sounds great :)
In reviews on YouTube, they say there is lots of lag unless you install open tpcast. How are you finding it?
I've opened a wanted thread in MM

Edit=Also the tpcast router is only 100MB how do you get round this?
I am with virgin media.

Last edited:
Associate
No lag what so ever but then I did install openTpCast (at extra cost again) mainly down that annoying inital connection issues.
Occassionally it might go slightly lo res for a second as I assume it couldn't cope with something but that is really rare.
I couldn't tell if I was cabled or not.

There is mention of a slight colour banding right at the extreme edges of the image but I can't see it unless I press the headset hard against my face and really try to look as far left or right as possible. In normal play it's not noticeable.

If you have the cash it's a no brainer but be warned; once you go free you'll never want to be chained again :)

:edit: Oh and join the OpenTPCast discord as they're usually quite helpful and there's a channel with an inital setup wiki/FAQ type thing.

Soldato
OP
No lag what so ever but then I did install openTpCast (at extra cost again) mainly down that annoying inital connection issues.
Occassionally it might go slightly lo res for a second as I assume it couldn't cope with something but that is really rare.
I couldn't tell if I was cabled or not.

There is mention of a slight colour banding right at the extreme edges of the image but I can't see it unless I press the headset hard against my face and really try to look as far left or right as possible. In normal play it's not noticeable.

If you have the cash it's a no brainer but be warned; once you go free you'll never want to be chained again :)

:edit: Oh and join the OpenTPCast discord as they're usually quite helpful and there's a channel with an inital setup wiki/FAQ type thing.

Thanks again.

Did you get another Nic card for your PC?
Trying to get a used one atm.

Associate
Nope. My PC has 2 ethernet ports I thought most did but maybe not then.

The TPCast doesn't need to have internet access. It just needs to be plugged into the PC so it can access the local network (and thus the Vive).

I can never remember which bit does what but I think it's something like the tracking that goes over the router, and the image gets sent from the transmitter thing that needs line of sight to the play area.

Oh and there is a slight hum/whine from the transmitter which in a normal noisyish room isn't noticeable but could be something that would upset neighbours if it was on at 3am when the world is dead quiet? Just thinking out loud.

Soldato
OP
Nope. My PC has 2 ethernet ports I thought most did but maybe not then.

The TPCast doesn't need to have internet access. It just needs to be plugged into the PC so it can access the local network (and thus the Vive).

I can never remember which bit does what but I think it's something like the tracking that goes over the router, and the image gets sent from the transmitter thing that needs line of sight to the play area.

Oh and there is a slight hum/whine from the transmitter which in a normal noisyish room isn't noticeable but could be something that would upset neighbours if it was on at 3am when the world is dead quiet? Just thinking out loud.

Thanks for all your help dude.

I see TPcast has copied OpenTPcast software and are giving it out to those that ask about the mic.
I'm 100% going to get a used one to try out :)

Associate
i used the tpcast on OG Vive and can confirm that it does work. I had to switch channels because of wifi congestion, but after that it was perfect.

Now I use Vive Pro and sometimes Samsung Odyssey, I have gone back to wired. I thought that rewiring myself would be a nightmare, because losing the cable was very liberating.

But I'm strangely OK with playing with the cable now, it doesn't really bother me.

Soldato
OP
i used the tpcast on OG Vive and can confirm that it does work. I had to switch channels because of wifi congestion, but after that it was perfect.

Now I use Vive Pro and sometimes Samsung Odyssey, I have gone back to wired. I thought that rewiring myself would be a nightmare, because losing the cable was very liberating.

But I'm strangely OK with playing with the cable now, it doesn't really bother me.

Good to hear.
Did the TPcast affect the picture quality or was it about the same?
Tying to find a used tpcast is proving very hard :(

Soldato
OP
Just ordered a TPcast for the Vive and Nic card from OCUK.

Should be with me tomoz. I will post what I think of it if all goes well.
TPcast has sent me a new firmware for it and new PC software. If anyone wants the link I will post it.
Thanks guys

Soldato
Just ordered a TPcast for the Vive and Nic card from OCUK.

Should be with me tomoz. I will post what I think of it if all goes well.
TPcast has sent me a new firmware for it and new PC software. If anyone wants the link I will post it.
Thanks guys

good luck with it!!

D3K

D3K

Soldato
Does TPcast use a pcie card? The officially endorsed hammerhead one does which would blow my SFF pc build idea out the water.

Back
Top Bottom