Does anyone use the TPcast?

Soldato
Worked fine for me and yes it's a bit dis-jointed having the separate router and the extra software initialisation adds some extra delay before playing. I didn't notice any lag or loss of image quality myself but like with all wireless tech there's always that odd occasion of signal loss.

Separate NIC for the router was useful in isolating it from the rest of the LAN and meant I could put all the VR stuff on a separate power switch to turn it all off when not in use.

I am looking at the Vive transmitter in preference but of course the cost could be a decider against the simpler setup.

Soldato
If the TPcast were cheaper I'd definitely get one. Having the Oculus Go makes me realise how nice it is to be in VR without a cord dangling down all the time, getting in the way or pulling down at your head.

Soldato
OP
Mine has just come. After I set it up I won't be doing the new firmware update I was given till I get used to it.
Then I will be able to know if things have changed.

Soldato
OP
Looking forward to your feedback. Hope it all works fine for you.

:(

The software gets to the part about cable connection and gives me a 803 error.
So I pressed the transmitter button on the bottom of the headset box and the button on the link box until the lights turn off.
They both now blink green\fast. But still have the same 803 problem
After a time the blinking green light on the headset goes off.
Any hints please?

It was all my fault. One of the plugs on the headset was not in right. Now off to play

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
So I've had it for a day and here is what I think of the @tpcast

The Plus..
It was easy to setup once I found my mistake with one of the plugs.
I played lots of games and never saw any lag.:)
The picture quality was the same using the leads. :)
It works very well, when it works :(

The Negative
I did see a Green\Blue thin line on the right as I put the headset on.
Once the headset was on I never saw it. I will contact online support on Monday to see what they say.

The software is really slow finding the headset and sensors. So slow in fact that the headset went in to stand by mode.
So I had to start it all again. The software needs a major update.

Today I turned everything on and got a 805 error, and the software had me restarting my pc 5 times.
Having nearly running over it(I'm in a wheelchair) I decided to uninstall the software. Cleared out all remaining folds\files on my C: drive.

Installed the 1.14 software again and off I went playing again today. Had a friend jump around like a mad man and no lag :)
God knows what's going to happen when I shut down\restart my PC :(

I have got a firmware update and the software update which TPcast gave me.
But having read the small print, they say if it breaks something, it has nothing to do with them hmmmm
So I am not going to do it.

The major things that get me mad is you have to start the TPcast software first, which can take ages or give you an error.
Then you have to start steam before you play. I can see why people have gone back to wires.

I shall keep this and hope for better software. OCUK was great in getting my things to me fast :)

Any tips would be great

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
What have you got to lose? Try the firmware upgrade.

I was thinking of doing that. But TPcast help gave me the new TPCAST VIVE v3.0.0 Setup.exe.
I uninstalled the 1.14 and installed the new version and again all went well.

So I restarted my computer and the error 805 come back with a vengeance.

Last edited:
Associate
I use the openTPcast so can't comment on their software. openTpCast appears to be better all round but costs again.

The blue/green line is normal. It's just TPCast cutting off the sides to reduce the amount of data they send.

I tend to follow the same routine to start up and it's good every time (well, nearly everytime).

Turn on transmitter.
Plug in battery into headset.
Let them connect to each other (fast blinking)
Turn on the OpenTpcast software.
Let that connect (the router starts flashing fast)
Start SteamVr and wait for the green lights and, importantly, the high pitched whine from the transmitter.
Play.

Soldato
OP
I use the openTPcast so can't comment on their software. openTpCast appears to be better all round but costs again.

The blue/green line is normal. It's just TPCast cutting off the sides to reduce the amount of data they send.

I tend to follow the same routine to start up and it's good every time (well, nearly everytime).

Turn on transmitter.
Plug in battery into headset.
Let them connect to each other (fast blinking)
Turn on the OpenTpcast software.
Let that connect (the router starts flashing fast)
Start SteamVr and wait for the green lights and, importantly, the high pitched whine from the transmitter.
Play.

Thanks.
I will try that out. I tried windows 10(spit) but even more problems.
Just doing a fresh install of win 7 64bit and see how it goes.

Oh yes, you know the flashing green lights on the head set and square box.
When the tpcast software is trying to find it, it's so slow the green light on the headset goes out?

Associate
Oh yes, you know the flashing green lights on the head set and square box.
When the tpcast software is trying to find it, it's so slow the green light on the headset goes out?

Yes, it has happened before. Not so much now. The OpenTPCast appears to connect faster but then that could just be me trying to justify spending the OpenTPCast money :)

Soldato
OP
Yes, it has happened before. Not so much now. The OpenTPCast appears to connect faster but then that could just be me trying to justify spending the OpenTPCast money :)

As if money ever mattered to you :D

@deuse I speeded up the boot times on my tpcast by using a fast SD card. The stock SD card on mine was really old - it's definitely worth upgrading.

I think I will void my warranty if I take it apart?
Did you just file transfer it to the faster card?

Good news.

It's working as should :)
Done a fresh install of windows 7 64 bit, but I never install Comodo firewall. So I think that was my problem.
Time will tell. Thanks for the help people.

Associate
you won't void the warranty - there's no sticker or anything to tell if its been opened. i took out the old card, and copied the contents on to a new class 10. it's really easy to do, just a couple of screws.

if you are returning it, just put the old SD card back in.

some of the tpcasts did come with class 10 cards as stock, it just depends on what tpcast had available.

Back
Top Bottom