Does cycling damage the knees?

Associate
Wow, what a great thread of advice! I've been told about how to set a bike before, but never with so much detail as you guys have offered, so thank you for that.

I don;t know how true this is, but I was told that the muscle groups that get worked most during cycling are the "opposite" to those used when walking up stairs - ie, cycling works one set, but stairs stress others - this might be why you notice the discomfort after cycling. I can't add any weight to that statement with links or anything, but needless to say I too experienced these discomforts when I first started cycling again. It faded with time.

Associate
Bsqh-wCWkKGrHqQH-CEvPf8t3VgBL4z2i83.jpg

:D

pray tell - where did you get this. WANT!

Soldato
I bought a mountain bike a about a month ago, and spend around 2 to 3 hrs cycling over the weekend. I've noticed my knees hurt when I walk upstaires (but not always)

Is cycling bad for the knees?

thanks

Nope - best thing for it. I was told this by NHS physios. It's not an impact exercise like running or even fast walking is.

I've had my knee rebuilt and now i am fitter than i ever was before as i was encouraged to cycle due to how much damage i had done to my leg. As i had to learn to walk again i found it helped with my balance when walking too. :)

As said it's all in the seat positioning.

Soldato
I don;t know how true this is, but I was told that the muscle groups that get worked most during cycling are the "opposite" to those used when walking up stairs - ie, cycling works one set, but stairs stress others - this might be why you notice the discomfort after cycling.

Yeah it's not really opposite muscle groups just more a subset that gets worked out fairly hard. With cycling you're very stationary and pushing on fixed pedals so a lot of the smaller balancing or core muscles don't really get worked out. The big engine muscles do though so it's always good to balance cycling with other fitness to keep up a balanced body. Otherwise you'll end up like a T-Rex with big quads/gluteus and tiny arms :D

Back
Top Bottom