Does Halo 3 Require...

Soldato
Yeah, Halo 3 is one of the best games around but graphics seriously aren't its strong point. It's probably the ugliest HD game I've seen - and that's saying a lot. The jagged edges really let it down in the graphics department.

Soldato
Yeah, Halo 3 is one of the best games around but graphics seriously aren't its strong point. It's probably the ugliest HD game I've seen - and that's saying a lot

:eek:, you've been avoiding a lot of games then, in terms of map size, detail and colour I'd say halo is one of the better looking games on the xbox, with a full colour pallete used rather than dark greys/black/browns used to hide the smaller details in other titles.

Soldato
I remember playing Halo 1 when it first came out for the PC and thought that it was actually one of the best games that I had played. But when it came to playing Halo 2 several years on, I was so unimpressed by the lack of visual graphical upgrades that I decided not to play it, I can only hope that the 3rd instalment is a lot better.

Soldato
:eek:, you've been avoiding a lot of games then, in terms of map size, detail and colour I'd say halo is one of the better looking games on the xbox, with a full colour pallete used rather than dark greys/black/browns used to hide the smaller details in other titles.

I play more than enough games. It doesn't matter if Halo has all the colors of the rainbows with a good mix of gritty combat, I still don't find the rough graphics appealing, and neither do a lot of others, judging by this thread.

If it had the proper 1280x720 resolution, even without AA, it'd be so much better. But as it is, I'll have to make do with the kick ass gameplay on its own. It sure beats a hell of a lot of others games where the focus seems to be purely on graphics.

I remember playing Halo 1 when it first came out for the PC and thought that it was actually one of the best games that I had played. But when it came to playing Halo 2 several years on, I was so unimpressed by the lack of visual graphical upgrades that I decided not to play it, I can only hope that the 3rd instalment is a lot better.

I don't understand this one, Halo 2 was the biggest jump in graphics from its predecessor I've ever seen from any gaming series (excluding the ones that went across generations). Halo 2 was disappointing in many aspects, but the graphics were absolutely phenomenal for its day.

Soldato
I don't understand this one, Halo 2 was the biggest jump in graphics from its predecessor I've ever seen from any gaming series (excluding the ones that went across generations). Halo 2 was disappointing in many aspects, but the graphics were absolutely phenomenal for its day.

Halo 1 on the PC was arguably a good port, its graphics were heavily improved over the xbox counter part and it looked so much better for it. It was incredibly unoptimised, but it did look good. Halo 2 was one of the laziest ports i've ever seen, the graphics looked pretty much identical to the xbox version. The xbox version of Halo 2 had indeed improved significantly over its predecessor, but on the PC it seemed as if the title had not improved upon itself at all.

(By the looks of his post he played them on the PC hence my explanation)

Soldato
Yeah because the resolution is all that matters in terms of graphics about a game :rolleyes:

I take it you think cod4 doesnt look good as well?

Didn't say that. I said I like my hd games to be actually hd. I know cod4 isn't, but it looks a damn sight better than halo does thanks to proper lighting and good designers.

Halo 3 has really nothing going for it graphically. Sometimes it's looks passable, like the water effects, but that's about it.

Permabanned
What? You think Halo 3 looks good? Jesus...

I prefer my HD games to be actually HD thanks.

Halo 3 isn't a HD game, so why are you complaining if it's not HD? :eek:

(even though the resolution difference is minor and numerous other titles do it. Including everyone's beloved CoD4)

Soldato
Halo 3 isn't a HD game, so why are you complaining if it's not HD? :eek:

(even though the resolution difference is minor and numerous other titles do it. Including everyone's beloved CoD4)

what? That doesn't make sense. Halo 3 is a next gen game which should have been HD. I'm not conplaining that it's not at least 720p, I'm saying that it's just rubbish graphically.

I really don't understand what you mean.

Permabanned
what? That doesn't make sense. Halo 3 is a next gen game which should have been HD. I'm not conplaining that it's not at least 720p, I'm saying that it's just rubbish graphically.

I really don't understand what you mean.

You said you like your games to be HD, but by your standards Halo 3 is not HD thus not a HD game, no?

Either way your argument is dumb, yes Halo 3 isn't very pretty but that's not because of the resolution as evidenced by other games that run at the same res yet look a lot better.

Soldato
You said you like your games to be HD, but by your standards Halo 3 is not HD thus not a HD game, no?

Either way your argument is dumb, yes Halo 3 isn't very pretty but that's not because of the resolution as evidenced by other games that run at the same res yet look a lot better.

Well, it is partly to do with resolution. It's the fact that Halo has no AA. If you look at CoD4 for example, it's 600 or 640p, I cannot remember which - but it also has 4xmultisampling AA. Then you look at Metal Gear Solid 4 which is only 1024x786 (!!) with temporal AA (unsure if that's 2 or 4 samples) to provide a very clean and clear image.

Soldato

If you read my first post I said Halo 3 doesn't look good. I then added in my second post that it's not HD. The resolution doesn't help the situation, but I said at the start that it generally doesn't look good...

Permabanned
When I first fired up Halo 3, I was disappointed by the graphics and I always thought they looked dated.

Graphics don't bother me to much, but for some reason I really couldn't get in to Halo 3. Maybe it was because I never played Halo 1+2 so I didn't know what the story line was, or maybe it was because I played GoW1+2 first.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
I dont get how all you guys dont like the detail in halo 3, yes the jaggies can be bad but they're bearable maybe because I sit far fairly far back from my HDTV =/.

Even discounting the poor resolution, the game has some pretty ropey textures and the lighting isn't great either.

Back
Top Bottom