Does intelligence come from parents?

Soldato
both, if your parents dont encourage you then you're not going to go very far. as i learnt with my ex girlfriends family.. none went to college all started jobs straight from school and are happy to just sit on job that pay £14,000 a year.

wheras i was encouraged to further my education and get a prosperous job.

and i didnt do great at engrish so dont pick it apart :p

Caporegime
SidewinderINC said:
both, if your parents dont encourage you then you're not going to go very far. as i learnt with my ex girlfriends family.. none went to college all started jobs straight from school and are happy to just sit on job that pay £14,000 a year.

my parents never really encouraged me, im doing well enough tho.

Soldato
There probably is some level of genetic influence as to how intelligent you are. Sort of like your genes define your potential, but to actually reach that potential you have to be sufficiently stimulated intellectually.

Soldato
My thoughts are the major influence over how intelligent somebody is, depends on how encouraged they are to believe they can be intelligent!

Im sure there are some genetic / biological reasons too, but im sure a toddler taught to not be afraid of learning will grow up to be somebody more open to learning and becoming more intelligent than somebody who is encouraged at an earlier age to avoid doing work and sit in front of the TV as long as possible.

My grandparents used to take me to interesting science museums etc as a young child, I am so grateful to them now :) (at the time I was annoyed I didnt get to go to Disney Land like everyone else seemed to!)

Soldato
Morba said:
my parents never really encouraged me, im doing well enough tho.

sorry, i think i may have posted a bit too quickly and without thinking too much :p

i dont mean if they dont encourage you you're not going to go far (yes, i know thats exactly what i said) i mean you might be less inclined to further yourself.

Soldato
a desire to better yourself also helps...not to mention having goals in life...having a target means you are more likely to try and do what it takes to achieve that target and thus move further in life than the person who just lives each day as it comes with no goals in life and as such no real motivation to do anything

(im not regurgitating a speech i was given last week honest :p)

Associate
I would say most of it is from your parents, or who ever brought you up. As you learn from whats around you, the cleverer they are = cleverer you are in the long run.

Man of Honour
Intelligence is, I rather suspect, too complex to assign to a single factor. Genetics will play a part as will the education of the the person along with the encouragement they receive and the individuals desire to learn (also possibly genetic).

Permabanned
Depends really.

For example you can have someone who leaves school with no qualifications and just sits around in and out of dead end jobs. Then you also have those such as Richard Branson and Alan Sugar. They had no qualifications, they were intelligent naturally business wise and had ideas. Depends on the person I guess. If someones in a bad situation such as a dead end job, with innovation and independence they can get out of that. Lazyness and no faith is what stops people I guess.

Suspended
SidewinderINC said:

what youve got to ask though, who is more intelligent?

Them for having a low wage, probably stress free where you leave the work at work and being happy.

Or you, for having a job that pays double what they earn, you take your work home and maybe on call, and probably extremely stressful.

:D

Neither of my parents are clever, in fact my dad is 'fick'. My mum is of normal intelligence, nice and happy.

I would consider myself intelligent, although trouble with my memory is causing me havoc. I know that IQ isnt a direct level of intelligence but both my brother and I have an IQ that is just over 160. Im always reading and learning, in fact sometimes ive so much going round in my head i cant sleep or concentrate, my mind is constantly moving. Ive been told by many teachers that if i could have focused on working really hard in their lesson i would have done amazingly well, instead id be designing magnetic railway systems or planes that cant be hijacked.

None of this comes from my parents, they let me read as much as i wanted to as a kid, bought my lots of 2nd hand books about anything. but nether of them taught me anything other than cars and housework.

Caporegime
dgmug said:
does it come from parents or does it develop with nurishment of the mind.

Psychologically speaking (I have a degree in it...) initelligence known to be around 50% genetic and 50% envionmental (based on a vast amount of studeies on twins, seperated twins (both geneticall idenitical and not), and looking at fostered children, brothers and sisters, etc. Ranges estimate from 40-60%.

However, since 50% may be genetic, there is a strong corollation. Genetically Intelligent parents may produce genetrically intelligent children who will live in an enriched environment and thus become 'environmentally' intelligent.

The whole nature vs nurture debated has really ended. 50-50 is a rouhgt estimated, with complex ineractions being highly significant proportion.

This tends to lead to a "double whammy" effect. as hinted at above. 'stupid' parents (becuase of genetics) will provide a stupid learning environment, intelligent parents will provide an intelligent learning environment.

This explains the large difference betweet intelligent honest people and chavs, and also explains the outliers who may have clever parents but stupid childredn or vice versa.

hopwever, the term intelligence is entirely vague. Simply crossing the road without dieing requiresa a vast bank of knowledge and intelligent processing of available data.

Soldato
Intelligence comes in many forms too. It's for that reason why every single IQ test ever made is rubbish because only a few types of intelligence are tested.

For example someone could be amazing well read but not have a clue about the real world. So basically intelligence is what you are born with, wisdom is something you have to work at.

Back
Top Bottom