Does intelligence come from parents?

Soldato
cheets64 said:
Pick, pick, pick.

I said somthing, corrected it and you still had a pop, and your still on about it, let it go numpty.
So what exactly has welfare got to do with the topic?

BTW, you don't have to answer that right now. In fact I'd stop posting for now and get some sleep if I were you... Unless of course you want to add a few more personal insults to the list.

Last edited:
Soldato
My personal belief is that it's dependant upon the attitudes you learn at an early age and the surroundings in which you grow. One major event in your life, at any age, can change a whole lot of things about you.

Intelligence, I think, has nothing to do with the mind's capabilities; I believe everyone is equal in that sense. It's about attitude and desire as you age. What you want and how you go about thinking of acheiving the things you desire in life.

Many people are often as successful as their parents, because this is the attitude and level of success they come to accept is ok.

Anyway, that's what I believe. :)

Soldato
They say as humans we only use around 10% of our brain capacity, so in my opinion intelligence comes from nourishment at an early age. However, some people have more of an aptitude for learning than others.

Caporegime
SiriusB said:
Intelligence comes in many forms too. It's for that reason why every single IQ test ever made is rubbish because only a few types of intelligence are tested.

For example someone could be amazing well read but not have a clue about the real world. So basically intelligence is what you are born with, wisdom is something you have to work at.

But knowlkedge does not equal intelligence in the slightest. SInce when has wikipedia been intelligent?

IQ tests are exactly that, a measure of a certain form of intelligence, They are highly reliable, repatable, verifiable, correlational, predict life outcomes, have underling biological traits, have genetic traits, and is predictable.

Soldato
SidewinderINC said:
both, if your parents dont encourage you then you're not going to go very far. as i learnt with my ex girlfriends family.. none went to college all started jobs straight from school and are happy to just sit on job that pay £14,000 a year.

wheras i was encouraged to further my education and get a prosperous job.

and i didnt do great at engrish so dont pick it apart :p

wtf has salary and getting a prosperous job got to do with a person's intelligence ?

The two are NOT correlated. Ask Britney Spears

Hxc

Hxc

Soldato
Subliminal Aura said:
wtf has salary and getting a prosperous job got to do with a person's intelligence ?

The two are NOT correlated. Ask Britney Spears

I think that the Intellegence/Qualification to job ratio does not apply to celebs who get lucky and break through into a world of little work for much money.

Man of Honour
I know some people who I would class as intelligent or even highly intelligent who don't have especially 'good' or wellpaid jobs.

My sister for example has Aspergers Syndrome (google/wiki it), meaning that while she is exceedingly well read, Masters degree in Physics etc, she was doing factory work.

Now of course there will be some who suggest that someone doing a crap job can't be all that intelligent - but at least in my view intelligence and success are not directly related.

Associate
Intelligence, I think, has nothing to do with the mind's capabilities; I believe everyone is equal in that sense.

That just can't be true. Do you think Einstein had the same capabilities as your standard every day person?

Some people have Pentium II processors and some have Core 2 Duos and there's a whole range in between. However, you can make the most of what you've got by designing the operating system, particularly at an early age. So you can have a Pentium II with a very efficient and sophistocated operating system that performs reasonably well whereas someone born with a C2D might be running Windows ME and thus sub-standard compared to other genetic equals.

daz

daz

Soldato
MNuTz said:
I know that IQ isnt a direct level of intelligence but both my brother and I have an IQ that is just over 160.

Interesting... 160 IQ is something like 99.997% percentile... i.e. that would mean that you and your brother are one of 1800 people in the UK with an IQ of >160.

Last edited:
Soldato
Johnny Girth said:
That just can't be true. Do you think Einstein had the same capabilities as your standard every day person?

Some people have Pentium II processors and some have Core 2 Duos and there's a whole range in between. However, you can make the most of what you've got by designing the operating system, particularly at an early age. So you can have a Pentium II with a very efficient and sophistocated operating system that performs reasonably well whereas someone born with a C2D might be running Windows ME and thus sub-standard compared to other genetic equals.

Interesting analogy but im not convinced your entirely correct.

I agree that most peoples brains wont have the same make up, the fact that some people are naturally gifted at music and others at programming etc proves that, BUT given we literally use less than a tenth of our brains actual "capacity" i am of the opinion most people have the ability to become more or less as intelligent as each other (within a certain small tolerance) the major factor is influence as a small child.

In the same way as a neural net is entirely driven by the components its made up from, the human brain can be viewed in the same way. If constantly fed stimulus during its developing phase, it will wire itself up in such a way that the person is more likely to appear "intelligent" later on, whereas if as a child they arnt given enough stimulus the brain will wire itself up in a simpler less "intelligent" way.

Of course if EVERYONE had the same treatment as a child then there would be a variance, based around diet and actual biology, but im almost positive the difference wouldnt be as big as some people think.

Caporegime
OP
i think it must be genetic mostly.Also parents often teach there kids what they know best so down the line maybe a music genius has already been adapted to play as his ancestors have helped him by doing the hard work for him.Another strange one i can remember was some indian bloke never done maths in his life creating some great codes and stuff and becoming one of the greatest ever.but being great at one special thing does it mean your intelligent when you could be a utter moron at other things in general.

Soldato
To an extent I think intelligence is heritory, so is body shape, musculature e.t.c But if neither are encourage when you're young, you're not going to reach anywhere near your full potential.

My parents pushed me very, very hard, but I fought it all the way. Regret it now, but I'm still doing well for myself.

Ant :cool:

Soldato
Intelligence comes from genes
Knowledge comes from nourishment/learnings

Both my parents are smart, and im sumwhat a modern-day einstien (I can say the ENTIRE(!) alphabet from memory without looking at a dictionary AND i can count to well over 300!!!)

Back
Top Bottom