Does one exist?

Associate
Hi, I’m looking for a 3.5 inch HDD Caddy to house an old HDD pulled from my old computer.

Ideally it would have a power button on the front (facing me) the USB lead and power lead on the back (towards the back of my desk) and be housed in a cradle.

All the ones I’ve seen have power and USB on the front.

I wouldn’t want a docking station type because the pulled HDD seems to have had one of the plates removed which exposes a circuit board (probably to reduce the heat?) and might get dusty.

Any suggestions please?

Man of Honour
Most have all the connections and buttons on one side so your limited but some have a cradle which is easy to reach the power button .

RSHTECH Hard Drive Enclosure USB 3.0 to SATA External Hard Drive Caddy for 3.5 inch SATA I/II/III HDD

Associate
yeah ICYBOX do a number of these sorts of things to cover basic external use, like the IB-360ASTUS which will do IDE or SATA drives (single) and are designed for installing a drive in and leaving it there, or they do ones that resemble NAS cabinets for anything from 2 to 10 drives and you just open the doors and slide the drives in/out, some places stock some and not others, stock can also be sketchy, if nothing found on ocuk site i'd probably look to flebay

the IB-377-C31 model looks newer with updated usb connection and hotswap ability and might be worth looking at.

Last edited:
Soldato
Not really sure why a docking type wouldn't work
Unless I am reading it wrong
Which is always possible
Pretty common for old hard drives to have
A visible PCB on the bottom
I shove mine in a dock they don't really get dusty
Since they're vertical anyway
They would probably get warmer inside a pc case

Associate
the original BlackX docking station type i have came with a silicone/rubber sleeve to alleviate that issue of exposed drive board, but later ones don't seem to have one of these supplied, that said, the open design of the docking station was a nightmare dust trap :rolleyes:

Soldato
the original BlackX docking station type i have came with a silicone/rubber sleeve to alleviate that issue of exposed drive board, but later ones don't seem to have one of these supplied, that said, the open design of the docking station was a nightmare dust trap :rolleyes:
Lol that's exactly the one I have
Must have been one of the first usb 3 ones
It's old now but still going strong so not replaced it
I never bothered using the sleeve
As assumed it would make the drive hotter
Easy to just blow any dust off now and then instead

Back
Top Bottom