Does one really need V5C to take a vehicle out of the UK for a week or so?

Associate
For family reasons I need to visit my home country by car as soon as possible. For that I'm planning to buy a used car. According to this, I'd need to have V5C to take a vehicle out of the UK.

The problem is that
DVLA will update the vehicle record immediately and they will aim to send out a new V5C to you within 3 to 5 days. (source)

And I don't have a week to wait for my V5C.

Do I really need V5C to go to the EU? What if I just have whatever the seller would give me? (And on top of that my insurance, of course)

Associate
OP
Aren't there quite extensive rules for moving cats and dogs over borders as well now?
Well, the cat has a passport and is fully vaccinated. Or were you referring to some pandemic-related restrictions?

Can't you borrow someone's car for a week or so (or however long the trip takes)? If I knew someone well and they offered me some £££ to borrow my car for a week, I'd go for it
I wouldn't want to inconvenience my friends since they all have to commute to work - I live in a rural(ish) area. But it's a good point and something I'm definitely considering if all else fails. Would it then be a problem that V5C would be not in my name?

I've been waiting over a month for a V5 to arrive. DVLA suck.
Oh dear.

Back
Top Bottom